LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

Mason Rudolph and Baker Mayfield--The OK Kids

These two QBs are very different in almost every way, except how effective they are. They were ranked #8 and #9 in the nation last year statistically. Rudolph has the great size, Mayfield a natural gunslinger with a 196 QB rating and 40 TDs last season...just thought they belonged together in a thread...like yin and yang.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
I've stated in other threads..... aim all in 9n Rudolph
Originally posted by krizay:

I like that idea. He has more experience than the other top prospects and the Niners will hopefully have to use only a mid first round pick to get him.
I didn't look at Mason Rudolph last year

When I looked at Baker Mayfield, I graded him as a 3rd-4th rounder. Similar in draft stock to Davis Webb (note, NOT similar in skill set).

My problem with Mayfield's game is I thought he had poor pocket presence, a slow/awkward release, and happy feet. But in terms of accuracy, definitely gets high marks. And his arm strength is adequate for the NFL.

But it always makes me chuckle that some people will hate on Falk for Air Raid and will probably end up saying we should pick someone like Mayfield....

Lincoln Riley (coach of Oklahoma) was a disciple of who? Mike Leach.....who he coached for from 2003-2009. Look at Mayfield's offense and tell me that isn't an air raid variant....tons of 4 wide/5 wide sets for passing plays. You're going to see even more of a transition this year (Look at Shane Carden/East Carolina's offense in 2014).
They are similar as guys who both play college football in the state of Oklahoma and that neither will be drafted by the San Francisco 49ers.
Baker Mayfield has one of the best releases I've seen in a while. Accurate too. A lot to like. Might drop in the draft because of his size.

See a lot of Russell Wilson in him.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Jul 25, 2017 at 12:09 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Baker Mayfield has one of the best releases I've seen in a while. Accurate too. A lot to like. Might drop in the draft because of his size.

whatttttt?
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

whatttttt?

More like a less potato, less talented Johnny Manziel.

whatttttt?

You don't think so?

It's high (relative to his height), quick & smooth. Dude can sling it. It's not one of his question marks.
and they are both air raid qbs.
[ Edited by Temecula49ersfan on Jul 25, 2017 at 12:42 PM ]

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

whatttttt?

More like a less potato, less talented Johnny Manziel.

That's probably accurate. But WAAAAAAY less potato.

I like him a heck of more than friggn' CJ Beathard; that's for sure.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Jul 25, 2017 at 12:51 PM ]
Originally posted by Temecula49ersfan:
and they are both air raid qbs.

They'll need a while to adjust to the NFL.
Originally posted by krizay:

What do you like about him? I don't think he's gonna be any good.
That's probably accurate. But WAAAAAAY less potato.

I like him a heck of more than friggn' CJ Beathard; that's for sure.

Yeah but dude got run down from behind by a cop while evading arrest. That sparks concerns about both lack of common sense and lack of athleticism.
Depends how much Shanny wants to go deep. Rudolph was a very good deep passer who struggled with ball placement in is short and intermediate passing. If he cleans that up, hes still a long shot to be selected, because he could go in the first and Shanny appeared to suggest that he wouldn't take a QB that early if they couldn't play for a while. Rudolph would likely need a couple years to learn the offense, the footwork, and the rhythm. If he falls in the draft and Shanahan falls in love w/his deep ball potential (and believes he can clean up the short/intermediate accuracy), he could surprise and take Rudolph.
Share 49ersWebzone