There are 185 users in the forums

Bradley Chubb DE North Carolina State

Originally posted by evil:
That was not trade rape, it was fair value. Costs more to move up in the top 10.
Fair value to get to 5 is our 2nd and a 5th. Denver might take a 2nd straight up if they truly prefer to move back but if there is a QB still on board and they are fielding calls from QB needy teams we won't wanna compete with those offers.
The trade valuation curves are just guides for the teams... they are just like theoretical business valuation models based on discounted cash flow analysis, or other methods, that are mathematical estimates for real life... at the end of the day beauty is in the eye of the beholder and teams will offer/receive what they perceive is fair value at the time of the trade
[ Edited by riverrunzthruit on Apr 21, 2018 at 8:09 AM ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
That was not trade rape, it was fair value. Costs more to move up in the top 10.

Fair value to get to 5 is our 2nd and a 5th. Denver might take a 2nd straight up if they truly prefer to move back but if there is a QB still on board and they are fielding calls from QB needy teams we won't wanna compete with those offers.
The trade valuation curves are just guides for the teams... they are just like theoretical business valuation models based on discounted cash flow analysis, or other methods, that are mathematical estimates for real life... at the end of the day beauty is in the eye of the beholder and teams will offer/receive what they perceive is fair value at the time of the trade

QB's aside, teams quite often stick closely to the chart. The exceptions are usually when the team looking to move down is more desperate that the team moving up.
If Qbs & Barkley go 1-4... send Trent Brown and our 1st to move up and get Chubb. Doesnt look like the FO is confident in his weight and ability to stay mobile so move on now and instantly get a pass rush that wont allow so many double teams on the previous 3 1st round picks
  • Lifer
  • Veteran

QB's aside, teams quite often stick closely to the chart. The exceptions are usually when the team looking to move down is more desperate that the team moving up.

As you say, it depends on what the Broncos are looking for in a trade-down scenario. Even if a team from the latter 1st round offers more in absolute value, they can't offer what the 49ers have: a top 10 pick. If the Broncos covet someone like Minkah Fitzpatrick or Tremaine Edmunds, then a bunch of late round picks do them no good. They might prefer a trade with the 49ers (even for slightly less value) because it allows them to add picks and still target the player they want.
Originally posted by Lifer:

As you say, it depends on what the Broncos are looking for in a trade-down scenario. Even if a team from the latter 1st round offers more in absolute value, they can't offer what the 49ers have: a top 10 pick. If the Broncos covet someone like Minkah Fitzpatrick or Tremaine Edmunds, then a bunch of late round picks do them no good. They might prefer a trade with the 49ers (even for slightly less value) because it allows them to add picks and still target the player they want.

AA, Jimmie Ward and a 5th
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Von Miller described Chubb as being a cross between him and Khalil Mack.

Make it 🛑 ✋.....
Originally posted by FL9er:

Make it 🛑 ✋.....

WTF. Miller still high from 420 I guess.
Originally posted by FL9er:

Make it 🛑 ✋.....

If he reaches his ceiling that's what he could be, he showed both, just a lot more Miller with the odd Mack.

His floor is a whole lot lower, could be ineffective against athletic tackles, or teams willing to chip him a lot.
I like Chubb a lot, but I don't see him nearly as high as some. Bucky Brooks said he'd take him over Miles Garrett. That's just an ignorant statement IMO.

He's a top-10 DE, legitimately, but he's not in the class of guys you consider #1 overall. Every year as it gets closer to the draft, analysts start inflating guy's a little. Chubb is the only complete DE at the top of the draft. For that reason, he's easily the consensus DE1.

Not knocking the guy, just taken back by hearing Brooks say he's a better prospect than Miles, who I'd put ahead of everyone since Peppers.
Originally posted by strickac:
I like Chubb a lot, but I don't see him nearly as high as some. Bucky Brooks said he'd take him over Miles Garrett. That's just an ignorant statement IMO.

He's a top-10 DE, legitimately, but he's not in the class of guys you consider #1 overall. Every year as it gets closer to the draft, analysts start inflating guy's a little. Chubb is the only complete DE at the top of the draft. For that reason, he's easily the consensus DE1.

Not knocking the guy, just taken back by hearing Brooks say he's a better prospect than Miles, who I'd put ahead of everyone since Peppers.

Agreed with most of this (I think Chubb is the 2nd best non-QB prospect after Barkley though) and I think Garrett may have been a better prospect than Peppers coming out of college. Both were freak athletes, but Garrett's arms were more than an inch longer (35 1/4" to 34 1/8") and he's a little more explosive while being stronger at 6'4 272 than Peppers was at 6'6 283 (33 reps on the benches absurd with that arm length - Peppers continued to add strength and fill out in the NFL though). They were similarly productive in college (31 to 30.5 sacks in favor of Garrett, but Peppers had more tackles and TFL) but Garrett didn't redshirt a year and was almost a full year younger when drafted.

Garrett is the kind of player who would go #1 in most draft classes including this one (pretty much all draft classes except for ones with can't miss franchise QBs like Luck. Chubb isn't that kind of player, but he would be considered at #1 in weaker drafts. Chubb was outrageously productive at N.C. State with 50+ TFL over the past 3 years and almost 200 tackles. He probably has a better motor and more endurance and uses his hands better than Garrett coming out. He's an elite prospect, just not as elite as Garrett because he doesn't have the same ridiculous measurables. Chubb's floor may be as high as Garrett's but he he doesn't have the same ceiling as a pass rusher.

Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
If Qbs & Barkley go 1-4... send Trent Brown and our 1st to move up and get Chubb. Doesnt look like the FO is confident in his weight and ability to stay mobile so move on now and instantly get a pass rush that wont allow so many double teams on the previous 3 1st round picks

Give up your starting right tackle in a draft that is poverty stricken at tackle to draft a guy who isn't even an ideal fit at Leo?

Doesn't seem like it would make a whole lot of sense, especially after giving your newly minted franchise QB a crapload of money.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:

Agreed with most of this (I think Chubb is the 2nd best non-QB prospect after Barkley though) and I think Garrett may have been a better prospect than Peppers coming out of college. Both were freak athletes, but Garrett's arms were more than an inch longer (35 1/4" to 34 1/8") and he's a little more explosive while being stronger at 6'4 272 than Peppers was at 6'6 283 (33 reps on the benches absurd with that arm length - Peppers continued to add strength and fill out in the NFL though). They were similarly productive in college (31 to 30.5 sacks in favor of Garrett, but Peppers had more tackles and TFL) but Garrett didn't redshirt a year and was almost a full year younger when drafted.

Garrett is the kind of player who would go #1 in s most draft classes including this one (pretty much all draft classes except for ones with can't miss franchise QBs like Luck. Chubb isn't that kind of player, but he would be considered at #1 in weaker drafts. Chubb was outrageously productive at N.C. State with 50+ TFL over the past 3 years and almost 200 tackles. He probably has a better motor and more endurance and uses his hands better than Garrett coming out. He's an elite prospect, just not as elite as Garrett because he doesn't have the same ridiculous measurables. Chubb's floor may be as high as Garrett's but he he doesn't have the same ceiling as a pass rusher.

Time will tell how Chubb compares to Garrett but Bucky is not the only one who has said they would take Chubb over Garrett, Gil Brandt and Charley Casserly have said the same thing. The feeling is Chubb is more well rounded with a non stop motor we are not going to get him but I look forward to following his career.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Give up your starting right tackle in a draft that is poverty stricken at tackle to draft a guy who isn't even an ideal fit at Leo?

Doesn't seem like it would make a whole lot of sense, especially after giving your newly minted franchise QB a crapload of money.
Nah I agree, it was more of just a thought about getting something for our RT while he has some value. After I wrote that the 'at the expense of our QB' thing came to mind... which is hard to wanna do especially after landing JG.
But if its 5 years of Chubb at the expense of 1 year of Trent, Id pull that trigger. Being an "ideal" Leo means little when its the best defensive end in the class, dont think the FO would of cared about ideal Leo's had Garrett gotten past the Browns last year either. Talent is talent and I might be wrong but I think we see Brown's replacement drafted in a week regardless and its not like Brown made it to the end of the year anyways, JG still survived.
Originally posted by Oilcan:
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:

Garrett is the kind of player who would go #1 in s most draft classes including this one (pretty much all draft classes except for ones with can't miss franchise QBs like Luck. Chubb isn't that kind of player, but he would be considered at #1 in weaker drafts. Chubb was outrageously productive at N.C. State with 50+ TFL over the past 3 years and almost 200 tackles. He probably has a better motor and more endurance and uses his hands better than Garrett coming out. He's an elite prospect, just not as elite as Garrett because he doesn't have the same ridiculous measurables. Chubb's floor may be as high as Garrett's but he he doesn't have the same ceiling as a pass rusher.

Time will tell how Chubb compares to Garrett but Bucky is not the only one who has said they would take Chubb over Garrett, Gil Brandt and Charley Casserly have said the same thing. The feeling is Chubb is more well rounded with a non stop motor we are not going to get him but I look forward to following his career.

I was thinking the same thing before Bucky said it Chubb > Garrett

If you watched Chubb play in 2017 he dominated the line of scrimmage almost every game he played, he lived in the backfield. There must be some ACC qbs still suffering from PTSD out there. That's why a lot of people like him over Garrett, he's more of an every down impact player. If you're judging purely based on film Chubb IMO is clearly a better prospect than Garrett. Now if your judging based on potential that's a different story, obvious Garrett has tons of that.
[ Edited by GMniner805 on Apr 23, 2018 at 3:12 PM ]
Will be a Giant at #2.
Share 49ersWebzone