LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 303 users in the forums

Bradley Chubb DE North Carolina State

Big dude (6-4, 275) with some speed & power. 10 sacks last year.

He got 3 sacks against Notre Dame & a great OL, but it was pouring rain that day.

Not sure what to think of him yet.

Has multiple children already at the age of 21 (I think he's 21), so take that for what it's worth.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on May 7, 2017 at 3:46 PM ]
Just watched some of his highlights, he is my early draft crush if we can't figure out the LEO spot. I know would be crazy to draft a DE 4 years in a row, but damn, Chubb is so dynamic of a pass rusher.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Just watched some of his highlights, he is my early draft crush if we can't figure out the LEO spot. I know would be crazy to draft a DE 4 years in a row, but damn, Chubb is so dynamic of a pass rusher.

You never want to evaluate a player on his highlights. That said, he has a lot going for him.

Positives: Dude appears to have a long reach & a strong upper body (Aldon, Justin Smith). He looks pretty quick for a dude listed at 275 pounds. He's a pure, pass-rushing DE and not a DE / DT like Thomas, and the Niners need a pure LEO, not a guy who plays all along the line. Also, I always like drafting bigger guys who might could possibly shed 10 pounds rather than smaller guys who might need to gain; Chubb could lose 15 pounds & still be more than big enough to play LEO.

Negatives: All that said, Chubb was not highly recruited in high school at all, and there's always the risk that he's just 'roided out to get on NFL radar (Vernon Gholston). He also clearly isn't the next Myles Garrett, and I don't see him as a guy NFL tackles are going to fear. He strikes me as a guy who could be a great value pick near the top of the 2nd round or maybe after a trade up in the 1st. There's also the fact that he got 3 sacks in pouring rain, which may have inflated his stats undeservedly. I've also seen TEs & RBs pick him up with a high rate of success, which is worrisome.

Overall: I could be wrong, but Chubb isn't very high on my wish list. I don't see an elite pass rusher like Aldon was. He's a guy you snatch up if he slides further than you thought he would, IMO, but he's not a guy you target in the top 10. Realistically, I see an Olivier Vernon or a Demarcus Lawrence in him (if he pans out at all). If he really works his a** off, maybe a Carlos Dunlap. But I don't think he's going to. His personality doesn't strike me as that kind of guy.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on May 27, 2017 at 10:02 AM ]
I'll take Harold Landry all day over him.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I don't know. It might be worth taking him just to hear the draft commentary, "John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan just grabbed a big Chubb!"
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I don't know. It might be worth taking him just to hear the draft commentary, "John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan just grabbed a big Chubb!"

Lol true
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
"Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State: The Browns found a franchise edge rusher in 2017 in the form of Myles Garrett, their No. 1 overall pick. Chubb is a well-rounded edge defender who plays well against the run while being a force rushing the passer. He could very well be long off the board by this part of the draft, but I'm not so sure the Texans are a good team heading into 2017, and the Browns could end up with two top-10 selections in this draft when all is said and done."
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-six-qbs-land-in-top-20-but-only-two-are-top-five-picks/

I'll keep an eye out for him this year, I know this draft order is bogus but its early and it's just to put things in perspective. I doubt Cleveland will go Qb if Kizer works out.

Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Sleeping on my guy Chubb.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Aug 28, 2017 at 10:48 PM ]
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

He'll bust due to having one hand:

Defense
DE: Harold Landry, Boston College
DE: Bradley Chubb, NC State
DT: Christian Wilkins, Clemson
DT: Ed Oliver, Houston
LB: Azeem Victor, Washington
LB: Arden Key, LSU
LB: Tegray Scales, Indiana
CB: Tarvarus McFadden, Florida State
SS: Minkah Fitzpatrick, Alabama
FS: Derwin James, Florida State
CB: Jaire Alexander, Louisville

http://packinsider.com/2017/08/26/bradley-chubb-espns-preseason-american/

Originally posted by NinerSickness:

Thank you sir, I have "fat boy" on my radar..
"Fat Boy & Big Sexy: Lawrence, Wilkins have fun on and off field for Tigers"
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Aug 30, 2017 at 6:15 AM ]
I've changed my mind. This guy is ER1 for me. He's been an animal in recent games. Plays with a nasty streak. He checks the boxes physically and is a much more well-rounded player than Harold Landry or Arden Key. Unlike Landry, Chubb can win in many ways, and in addition to being a beast pass rusher, he's an anchor in run defense with a hot motor.

I saw this play live and it totally caught me off guard. Double hand swipe+rip combo here. That's highly advanced move for a college player. Good get off and lean off the ball. Balance through contact. Bend in the lower body. Flattens right at the top of the QB's drop.

He wins in multiple ways, inside and outside.

Marries the hands and the feet. Jab steps outside and then arm overs and gets skinny inside.

Tackle over sets here, and Chubb counters with a spin move here.

Can rush from either side. A little dip and rip here for the pressure. Good upper body bend for a bigger-bodied edge player. You can tell he's got a natural feel for rushing the passer. Consistently flattens from the proper landmark.

Motor! Doesn't get home with the loop stunt, but never gives up on the play. He after chases after the QB and "peanut punches" the ball out.

Dude is also f**king nuts. That Charles Haley moment when he ran to the FSU logo in centerfield to spit on it.
[ Edited by Heroism on Oct 5, 2017 at 10:34 AM ]
Chubb is kicking ass again tonight.

The effort and movement in pursuit.

[ Edited by Heroism on Oct 5, 2017 at 5:46 PM ]
He moves really well for his size
Share 49ersWebzone