LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 164 users in the forums

Derwin "Pooh Bear" James S Florida State University

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
NY is a good dude. He always explains himself and his positions well, and he doesn't troll posters for their alternative stances, instead he brings good discussion, unlike a bunch of posters around here. We disagree often, so i know.

Give him a bit of respect.

Thank you! Lol we can all disagree and still get along

For the record, im not one trying to shoe horn him into a different position. I think he could play FS or SS at a high level in this system.

What i am arguing is, he is BPA at #9 if there likely, and i have little doubt he can play both positions, as well as other positions in special packages. Seeing we only have two S's on the roster, one of which only has one year left on his deal, it makes sense to look hard at the positions if James is still on the board.

I understand we have bigger needs. Rushing the passer is one need, however, i don't think anyone left at 9 will be worth the pick. If we trade down, i would be ok with one of those projects.

If Barkley happened to fall, or they can justify the pick on a G like Nelson, then ok, im on board. But outside of that, i dont see anyone i like more than James who is likely to be around at #9. I would plug him next to Colbert and profit for the next decade.

I would argue Smith, Landry, and even Minkah are bpa over James. I'm not huge on Edmunds or Davenport.
For the record, im not one trying to shoe horn him into a different position. I think he could play FS or SS at a high level in this system.

What i am arguing is, he is BPA at #9 if there likely, and i have little doubt he can play both positions, as well as other positions in special packages. Seeing we only have two S's on the roster, one of which only has one year left on his deal, it makes sense to look hard at the positions if James is still on the board.

I understand we have bigger needs. Rushing the passer is one need, however, i don't think anyone left at 9 will be worth the pick. If we trade down, i would be ok with one of those projects.

If Barkley happened to fall, or they can justify the pick on a G like Nelson, then ok, im on board. But outside of that, i dont see anyone i like more than James who is likely to be around at #9. I would plug him next to Colbert and profit for the next decade.

That's fine we have different ideas of draft philosophy...I'm not in the bandwagon of always taking BPA. IMHO There's has to be a correlation between bpa, need, impact of position (in regards to how high the pick is), players currently playing that position, along with future price tag.

I have no doubt James is a great player (like I've stated I'm a FSU fan and have watched him). I'm not trying to pigeonhole him to one position, just stating his best position is SS and playing in those big nickle packages. James has even stated this (on the matt miller podcast). IF we're gonna take him, you're basically moving on from Tartt.

I don't think our FO is in the business of moving on from good young talented players. I also don't think taking Landry/Smith is a reach like you do. IMO in order of what I would like....

Landry
Smith
Trey downe
Nelson
James
Minkah
Edmonds

That's fine we have different ideas of draft philosophy...I'm not in the bandwagon of always taking BPA. IMHO There's has to be a correlation between bpa, need, impact of position (in regards to how high the pick is), players currently playing that position, along with future price tag.

I have no doubt James is a great player (like I've stated I'm a FSU fan and have watched him). I'm not trying to pigeonhole him to one position, just stating his best position is SS and playing in those big nickle packages. James has even stated this (on the matt miller podcast). IF we're gonna take him, you're basically moving on from Tartt.

I don't think our FO is in the business of moving on from good young talented players. I also don't think taking Landry/Smith is a reach like you do. IMO in order of what I would like....

Landry
Smith
Trey downe
Nelson
James
Minkah
Edmonds

Solid thinking all around. If we were going DB I honestly cant say who I prefer lol James, Minkah, Ward? Some damn good prospects in there.

Landry
Smith
Trey downe
Nelson
James
Minkah
Edmonds

NY Just admit it, i was right about SOLLY
Originally posted by acrownlessking:
NY Just admit it, i was right about SOLLY

no and stay on topic
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 3, 2018 at 8:06 AM ]

Landry
Smith
Trey downe
Nelson
James
Minkah
Edmonds

I'm a big fan of Trey Downe, dude is an impact player
Originally posted by Alfienator:
I'm a big fan of Trey Downe, dude is an impact player

Lol might be BPA and we know how much people love that in here
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
I would argue Smith, Landry, and even Minkah are bpa over James. I'm not huge on Edmunds or Davenport.

So argue it then. How are they BPA over James. Especially Minkah. Im honestly interested in hearing you thoughts.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

So argue it then. How are they BPA over James. Especially Minkah. Im honestly interested in hearing you thoughts.

lol they are all in consideration around our pick, that was my logic. They are all very close in talent imo. I like James over Minkah, but others feel differently.

I think James is of less value in our case given Tartt and Colbert (same for Minkah). Where as Foster and Smith are much weaker imo (Smith for health and Foster for mental health lol) so Roquan may have larger impact and has a spot on the field. Obviously if Landry proves to be a 10 sack a year guy he is the BPA.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

James has all of the tools to become a game-changing playmaker at the next level. His size and athleticism allow him to make plays in coverage against the run and as a pass-rusher. All of James' skills led to him becoming the nation's top-graded safety in both 2015 and 2017. He can be a coverage weapon in a two-high safety look or in man coverage against tight ends and slot receivers, while his size allows him to be a force in the run game and to get after the quarterback. – Steve Palazzolo (@PFF_Steve)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pff-draft-board-top-100-players-for-the-2018-nfl-draft?utm_content=buffer6b7cf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=college

Two weeks until the draft, and by all reports, the Niners have yet to meet with Derwin James in any capacity.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Two weeks until the draft, and by all reports, the Niners have yet to meet with Derwin James in any capacity.

Makes sense. I think Tartt/Colbert/Ward is a damn solid group with big upside. James may turn out to be a total stud, but we have more pressing needs right now.

At this point last year we hadnt met really with any truely viable top 10 candidates for us either. The 4 guys we had met with were likely just smoke screens....

Go look at who we had met with at this point last season in the draft rumors thread.

Meetings mean nothing for the top 10, especially when you start talking picks after 5 or so.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

At this point last year we hadnt met really with any truely viable top 10 candidates for us either. The 4 guys we had met with were likely just smoke screens....

Go look at who we had met with at this point last season in the draft rumors thread.

Meetings mean nothing for the top 10, especially when you start talking picks after 5 or so.

Well for one, they didn't really have to visit with Solomon Thomas since Lynch has that Stanford connection with him. But Reuben Foster visited.
At this point last year we hadnt met really with any truely viable top 10 candidates for us either.

49ers had already met with Solomon Thomas at his pro day and privately visited with Reuben Foster at this point last year.
Share 49ersWebzone