There are 206 users in the forums

DB Obi Melifonwu

I'd way rather have Buddah Baker tbh.
Can you imagine if we took Hooker in the first and this guy in the second!?

We would basically be set on the back end ala Earl Thomas and Cam Chancellor (sp).

We aren't going to be good this year anyway, may as well shore up a unit since CB is deep as well.
Originally posted by glorydayz:

We would basically be set on the back end ala Earl Thomas and Cam Chancellor (sp).

We aren't going to be good this year anyway, may as well shore up a unit since CB is deep as well.

I'm okay with drafting Hooker to play deep safety, but Reid/Tartt can hold down SS for at least a year or two, so I'd rather get a LEO (Takk McKinley in particular) at 34. If we pick Thomas instead to play all over the defensive line, I'd be on board with picking Meliofonwu who could probably play CB or SS on our defense. It doesn't matter how good your back end is - they won't play like it if you don't have a pass rush.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by glorydayz:

Weak link on d is the front 7. We currently have 4 safeties on the roster and all of them are expected to make the 53 man roster.
[ Edited by jcs on Mar 22, 2017 at 8:37 AM ]
For what's it worth Kiper/McShay have us taking Solomon at 2 and Melifonwu at 34....thoughts?
Originally posted by NYniner85:
For what's it worth Kiper/McShay have us taking Solomon at 2 and Melifonwu at 34....thoughts?

Not thrilled. Nothing against Obi.

• This way over-populates the SS on our Depth Chart. The "Kam" SS role currently has 2 first rounders slotted to compete to play it. Let Reid and Tartt battle it out. To me, SS is not even on my radar at this point.
  • If you're going to move him to CB, then why not draft a better CB.
  • But most importantly, we are going to sit there, watching all of round 2, as pass rusher after pass rush fall off the board.

34 should be used for two things only: Drafting our pass rusher, or moving up to nab a QB.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

• This way over-populates the SS on our Depth Chart. The "Kam" SS role currently has 2 first rounders slotted to compete to play it. Let Reid and Tartt battle it out. To me, SS is not even on my radar at this point.
  • But most importantly, we are going to sit there, watching all of round 2, as pass rusher after pass rush fall off the board.

34 should be used for two things only: Drafting our pass rusher, or moving up to nab a QB.

Yeah I agree wouldn't be my top choice at all...I also think 34 should be for BPA just as much as the 1st rd pick. I hope with one of those first two picks we do some trading

Yeah I agree wouldn't be my top choice at all...I also think 34 should be for BPA just as much as the 1st rd pick. I hope with one of those first two picks we do some trading

Hope so...Almost any realistic trade down that nets us another pick in rds 2-4 is a win.

Hope so...Almost any realistic trade down that nets us another pick in rds 2-4 is a win.

agreed
Originally posted by valrod33:
He will be out of the league in 3 years

That applies to a majority of NFL players.

• jcs
  • Veteran
Visiting the 49ers, this guy is your single high safety that won't cost you a top 10 pick and has the potential to be the best one in this draft.
Originally posted by jcs:
Visiting the 49ers, this guy is your single high safety that won't cost you a top 10 pick and has the potential to be the best one in this draft.

Was pretty much the freakiest athlete at the combine pound for pound. Anyone Watch any tape against good offenses he went up against?

I see him more as an in the box SS then single high FS..more Chancellor than Thomas.

I agree. Whether we go for Thomas or Hooker at #2, I think that 34th pick is best suited for either grabbing a developmental QB if one falls or address our LEO or SAM position on defense.
  • jcs
  • Veteran

I see him more as an in the box SS then single high FS..more Chancellor than Thomas.

I think physically he can play either role well. His length, vertical, speed and experience as a CB make him an intriguing FS prospect. His tackling numbers and size make him a fit for SS.
Share 49ersWebzone