LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

Budda Baker FS Washington

Everyone talking about the single high safeties and how we need to burn a 1st on a a guy like Hooker at 2.

I love this guys quickness and football IQ. He's undersized and will have trouble with TEs but just let him play center field.

I think he drops a little because of size but I got no problem trading up in the late 2nd for him if people honestly think we need a safety.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/budda-baker?id=2558009

An NFC area scout said he would "leave [Washington S Budda Baker] as a centerfielder."

"I would leave him as a centerfielder and then roll him down over the slot if you needed too," he said. He's too small to cover tight ends, but he's got great instincts in coverage which is why he should shine as a single-high." NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compares Baker to Bob Sanders. "Baker plays with a competitive desire that leaps off the field when you watch him thanks to elite football character and above-average explosiveness," he wrote. "While he is undersized, he makes up for it with his football instincts and plus play speed. Baker has the talent to become a play-making safety with Pro Bowl potential if he can sustain his health."
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 23, 2017 at 1:32 PM ]
I've seen this kid going in the 1st in mocks, he definitely flashes great ball skills..Washington is quietly a great secondary school, CB Sydney Jones is going to be good too, nice prospect NY..
[ Edited by jersey49er on Feb 22, 2017 at 2:24 PM ]
If he pairs up w/Hyde they can call it "Bread & Budda"
Originally posted by jersey49er:
I've seen this kid going in the 1st in mocks, he definitely flashes great ball skills..Washington is quietly a great secondary school, CB Sydney Jones is going to be good too, nice prospect NY..

Yeah I don't see him going in the first based on his size and all of the other great prospects at the DB position. I agree Washington is putting out some solid DBs. I'd love to get Sidney jones, I think he's the best CB in the draft.
would love this guy in the 2nd but i just think we have more pressing needs
Originally posted by JustinNiner:

no I agree but we could try back into the late 2nd with a 3rd and one of our 4ths if they like him that much
Doubt he's a first rounder. Way too small. Look what happened to Bob Sanders. Talented but always hurt.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

no I agree but we could try back into the late 2nd with a 3rd and one of our 4ths if they like him that much

yeah i think if we do a ton of trading back and acquire a lot of picks, i would be down to spend one on Baker. This would be assuming that Ward is set to play CB for the rest of his time with us.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Doubt he's a first rounder. Way too small. Look what happened to Bob Sanders. Talented but always hurt.

I agree even tho he's two inches taller than Sanders (5'8), Bob was pretty thick for his height tho (206 lbs). Earl Thomas is 5'10 200lbs... Budda is only 180, there's no way he puts on 20 pounds of natural muscle in a year or even two. Some guys are just injury prone, I don't know if he is, but I can guarantee he'll get hurt at 180 lbs and start to get injury prone from there on. He might even get hurt in practice

The kid has a lot of speed and heart tho. I always appreciate that...
yeah i think if we do a ton of trading back and acquire a lot of picks, i would be down to spend one on Baker. This would be assuming that Ward is set to play CB for the rest of his time with us.

Yeah I'd rather roll with Ward at FS but I like budda's game

An NFC personnel director told NFL Media's Lance Zierlein that Washington S Budda Baker "might end up being one of those guys who we ignore the size on."

Entering the 2016 season, Baker was listed at 5-foot-10, 192 pounds. His lack of size might not matter in the end. "He's so athletic and his football character is so high that it might be necessary to give him a pass on how short he is," the personnel director explained. Zierlein refers to the former Huskies standout as a "war daddy against the run" and believes that he has the upside of a Pro-Bowler.
Mixed review from me. Saw some things I really liked: very good instincts and quick on the field. Missed four tackles in one game, and lack of height really hurts in jump ball situations. I have other guys graded higher. Still a good prospect, but more of a fourth round value to me.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Mixed review from me. Saw some things I really liked: very good instincts and quick on the field. Missed four tackles in one game, and lack of height really hurts in jump ball situations. I have other guys graded higher. Still a good prospect, but more of a fourth round value to me.

He checked in at 5'10, and based on a quick look at NFL rosters, the majority of safeties are 5'11 - 6'1. Me personally, I'm not going to knock a guy much for being an inch short. Karl Joseph was 5'10 and was the #14 pick.

One question I always myself watching players that trumps measurements and over shadows a lot else, does he flash play making ability? Its totally a subjective thing, but IMO Baker flashes true playmaking ability with potential to be a difference maker.

I'm not trying as much as to predict where they will be picked but rather grade their value in terms of potential in the NFL and likelihood of hitting it, and on that basis I think Baker is worth a late 1st.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

He checked in at 5'10, and based on a quick look at NFL rosters, the majority of safeties are 5'11 - 6'1. Me personally, I'm not going to knock a guy much for being an inch short. Karl Joseph was 5'10 and was the #14 pick.

One question I always myself watching players that trumps measurements and over shadows a lot else, does he flash play making ability? Its totally a subjective thing, but IMO Baker flashes true playmaking ability with potential to be a difference maker.

I'm not trying as much as to predict where they will be picked but rather grade their value in terms of potential in the NFL and likelihood of hitting it, and on that basis I think Baker is worth a late 1st.

Agreed he's the same height as Thomas as well. I'd rather take him in the late 1st then hooker at two.
I see hooker as a pretty signficantly better prospect, but if we somehow get Myles in the first, would be happy with him at 34
Share 49ersWebzone