LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 135 users in the forums

Budda Baker FS Washington

• krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
There are some really good safeties in this class, but I really don't see us taking one. The team pretty much said Ward is going to FS and Reid to SS. We have a lot of young talented CBs. so if we do, i'd imagine its at the end of the draft. second round we will most likely taking a D-lineman that has slid or a skill position player. That is just my opinion.

I really see us trading our second rounder for someones first next year though. just a gut feeling.

IF we trade our 2nd for a 1st next year I'd be so bummed.
There are some really good safeties in this class, but I really don't see us taking one. The team pretty much said Ward is going to FS and Reid to SS. We have a lot of young talented CBs. so if we do, i'd imagine its at the end of the draft. second round we will most likely taking a D-lineman that has slid or a skill position player. That is just my opinion.

I really see us trading our second rounder for someones first next year though. just a gut feeling.

Latest update we have on Ward at FS - the team is trying him there, but will play him wherever he needs to be played:

http://www.49ers.com/news/ninerfeed/article-2/5-Personnel-Updates-from-Defensive-Coordinator-Robert-Saleh/6fe35144-d857-40dd-89dc-6904cc6e3e93

5. To Be Determined

The one big question mark remains where Jimmie Ward will line up this season. At February's NFL Scouting Combine, Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch hinted that Ward could play safety in 2017. A return to his college position would come after three seasons spent primarily as a nickel or outside cornerback.

But now with Tramaine Brock off of the roster, it's still unknown where Ward will be needed most.

"We're going to see how everyone moves," Saleh said. "Like I said, we haven't been able to go on the field with them and once we start getting a chance to get out there, we're going to see what everyone is capable of doing. And, Jimmie is a very, very versatile athlete. He can play corner, he can play safety and whatever is best for the organization is exactly what we're going to do with Jimmie."
[ Edited by Lobo49er on Apr 24, 2017 at 8:29 AM ]
Originally posted by krizay:

That be stupid AF. Now our third for a first, that's something I pull the trigger on.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

Latest update we have on Ward at FS - the team is trying him there, but will play him wherever he needs to be played:

http://www.49ers.com/news/ninerfeed/article-2/5-Personnel-Updates-from-Defensive-Coordinator-Robert-Saleh/6fe35144-d857-40dd-89dc-6904cc6e3e93

5. To Be Determined

The one big question mark remains where Jimmie Ward will line up this season. At February's NFL Scouting Combine, Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch hinted that Ward could play safety in 2017. A return to his college position would come after three seasons spent primarily as a nickel or outside cornerback.

But now with Tramaine Brock off of the roster, it's still unknown where Ward will be needed most.

"We're going to see how everyone moves," Saleh said. "Like I said, we haven't been able to go on the field with them and once we start getting a chance to get out there, we're going to see what everyone is capable of doing. And, Jimmie is a very, very versatile athlete. He can play corner, he can play safety and whatever is best for the organization is exactly what we're going to do with Jimmie."

They're getting on the field tomorrow.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2017/4/10/15242082/49ers-2017-offseason-workout-program-rules-salary-dates-schedule
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Apr 24, 2017 at 1:57 PM ]
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Originally posted by krizay:

That be stupid AF. Now our third for a first, that's something I pull the trigger on.

Our 2nd to a s**tty team, I could get down with that. Getting rid of it for a high pick next year would be a great thing. If we trade back from #2 and pick up another 2nd, that seems like a no-brainer to me.

In the big picture, trading a 2nd for a top-15 pick is a smart move. We're still building and could use all the quality players we can get. Drafting earlier in the first increases our odds at gaining more star power.

People knock Cleveland for their money ball approach, but I think they're on to something. The more early picks you can attain, the better odds you have at improving your roster. It may not be an immediate fix, but it provides the opportunity to build a deeper roster.
[ Edited by strickac on Apr 24, 2017 at 2:05 PM ]
I have a feeling this kid is going to go a lot higher then expected..ill say hes going to Washington at 17..
Originally posted by jersey49er:
I have a feeling this kid is going to go a lot higher then expected..ill say hes going to Washington at 17..

I am thinking the same. Every year there's a handful of "sleeper" guys who go earlier than thought. Truthfully with the internet today there are no more sleepers lol
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by jersey49er:

I am thinking the same. Every year there's a handful of "sleeper" guys who go earlier than thought. Truthfully with the internet today there are no more sleepers lol

true lol but the fact that Karl Joseph and Keanu Neal went in the middle of the 1st last year makes is easier to think Baker goes around the same pick this year, I honestly like Baker as a prospect better then both of them when they were prospects..
I will be pissed if we miss out on him, he is my favorite Safety in the draft.
Share 49ersWebzone