There are 112 users in the forums

Harold Landry Boston College DE/OLB

Originally posted by FL9er:
Getting my champagne glass ready for NYNiner's tears.

Hey if you don't see the fit and need that's on you

FWIW I'm fine if the pick is Smith and I can come around to Minkah, just isn't as big as a need and there's good DBs and ILB in this draft class top to bottom EDGE not even close.
One of my friends who is a bears fan just said he wants the bears to take Landry at 8 if Nelson isn't there.
If the Bears took Landry I'd be so disappointed

We would probably get Roquan in that instance, but it would still be bitter sweet
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

There will be a few of us, so break out the full set.

Agreed. I'll be bummed if he's not the guy but I'll be happy with the results as long as it's one of these guys at #9

Landry
Smith
Nelson
Ward
Fizpatrick

Really any of those guys make me pretty exited about what we got at that pick. Other players at 9 I'd have to really hype myself up for and hope for the best but I think those 5 are studs...though I may have preferences for the guys above them due to positional value/current roster talent/size type things.

If we take an OT at 9 you'll need the great canyon to fit my tears in though.
Originally posted by 49erInTheMidwest:
One of my friends who is a bears fan just said he wants the bears to take Landry at 8 if Nelson isn't there.

We would probably get Roquan in that instance, but it would still be bitter sweet

I'm confident a great player will be there at #9.

It just may not be at a position some of us value as high.

It's possible we see a nightmare scenario of

1. Browns - Allen
2. Giants - Chubb
3. Jets - Mayfield
4. Browns - Fitzpatrick
5. Broncos - Nelson
6. Colts - Roquan
7. Bucs - Barkley
8. Bears - Landry

Now more than likely at least 3 QBs go in the top 8 so one of Fitz/Nelson/Roquan/Barkley/Landry are there at 9 but if it's Barkley honestly I'm not that thrilled.

No question he's an elite talent but with the contract we just gave McKinnon and the depth of the position in this class it would be a bit of a downer IMO if we took RB with number 9 even one as good as Barkley.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

There will be a few of us, so break out the full set.

Agreed. I'll be bummed if he's not the guy but I'll be happy with the results as long as it's one of these guys at #9

Landry
Smith
Nelson
Ward
Fizpatrick

Really any of those guys make me pretty exited about what we got at that pick. Other players at 9 I'd have to really hype myself up for and hope for the best but I think those 5 are studs...though I may have preferences for the guys above them due to positional value/current roster talent/size type things.

If we take an OT at 9 you'll need the great canyon to fit my tears in though.

yeah it's not Landry or bust for me (even though it might seem like that to certain people in here).

Smith/Landry/Fitz and I'm fine.

1. Browns - Allen
2. Giants - Chubb
3. Jets - Mayfield
4. Browns - Fitzpatrick
5. Broncos - Nelson
6. Colts - Roquan
7. Bucs - Barkley
8. Bears - Landry

Now more than likely at least 3 QBs go in the top 8 so one of Fitz/Nelson/Roquan/Barkley/Landry are there at 9 but if it's Barkley honestly I'm not that thrilled.

No question he's an elite talent but with the contract we just gave McKinnon and the depth of the position in this class it would be a bit of a downer IMO if we took RB with number 9 even one as good as Barkley.

you would think we'd get a good trade offer in that situation as Rosen and Darnold are still on the board.
From Bob McGinn

3. HAROLD LANDRY, Boston College (6-2 ½, 253, 4.67, 1): Played DE in a 4-3 defense, starting for three years. "When big linemen get their hands on him, which they will, there's not much left after that," said one scout. "He gets swallowed up some at the point of attack. He'll have more value to a 3-4 team because he's got great get-off, great acceleration and an impressive dip move. He can dip his shoulder and do it with lean and bend and accelerate at the same time. That's a very unique talent. He's around the quarterback a lot. You free him up, he'll run you down." Posted the best short shuttle (4.19) of edge rushers but arms were just 32 7/8. "I don't think he's a pure pass rusher," a second scout said. "He's not a first-round property. I don't think he can stand up (in a 3-4). He's too tight in the hips. He's a little guy and he doesn't have the burst. Fool's gold." Led FBS with 16 ½ sacks in 2016 before slipping to five in '17 when he sat out the last five games with an ankle injury. Finished with 160 tackles (47 ½ for loss), 26 sacks and 10 forced fumbles. "Had all the production last year," said a third scout. "Not a physical guy. Not strong at the point of attack. Doesn't really play hard. Not a dynamic pass rusher. He's more of a fall-into-sacks guy." From Spring Lake, N.C.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
From Bob McGinn

3. HAROLD LANDRY, Boston College (6-2 ½, 253, 4.67, 1): Played DE in a 4-3 defense, starting for three years. "When big linemen get their hands on him, which they will, there's not much left after that," said one scout. "He gets swallowed up some at the point of attack. He'll have more value to a 3-4 team because he's got great get-off, great acceleration and an impressive dip move. He can dip his shoulder and do it with lean and bend and accelerate at the same time. That's a very unique talent. He's around the quarterback a lot. You free him up, he'll run you down." Posted the best short shuttle (4.19) of edge rushers but arms were just 32 7/8. "I don't think he's a pure pass rusher," a second scout said. "He's not a first-round property. I don't think he can stand up (in a 3-4). He's too tight in the hips. He's a little guy and he doesn't have the burst. Fool's gold." Led FBS with 16 ½ sacks in 2016 before slipping to five in '17 when he sat out the last five games with an ankle injury. Finished with 160 tackles (47 ½ for loss), 26 sacks and 10 forced fumbles. "Had all the production last year," said a third scout. "Not a physical guy. Not strong at the point of attack. Doesn't really play hard. Not a dynamic pass rusher. He's more of a fall-into-sacks guy." From Spring Lake, N.C.

Interesting. I agree with the bold part. IMO he may be best used as a 3-4 OLB. I think the dip and speed is legitimate. But, I'm not sure if he can develop enough power to hold up as a hands-in-the-ground DE. In college, I think Beasley flashed more speed-to-power and Landry a bit more finesse. If he lines up in a 3-4, he'll have more room to work.
Originally posted by zonkers:
Interesting. I agree with the bold part. IMO he may be best used as a 3-4 OLB. I think the dip and speed is legitimate. But, I'm not sure if he can develop enough power to hold up as a hands-in-the-ground DE. In college, I think Beasley flashed more speed-to-power and Landry a bit more finesse. If he lines up in a 3-4, he'll have more room to work.

Our scheme accounts for that by letting the edge play wide. I agree he isn't suited on a traditional front, but in ours he'll be fine, though might be limited to passing downs his rookie year.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

Our scheme accounts for that by letting the edge play wide. I agree he isn't suited on a traditional front, but in ours he'll be fine, though might be limited to passing downs his rookie year.

Agreed

Originally posted by NYniner85:

Hey if you don't see the fit and need that's on you

FWIW I'm fine if the pick is Smith and I can come around to Minkah, just isn't as big as a need and there's good DBs and ILB in this draft class top to bottom EDGE not even close.

Haha...FL will shed tears when we don't draft Minkah.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
From Bob McGinn

Good find...playing out at 7-9T at Elephant isn't any different than a WILL ER (Aldon) in a 3-4 other than starting stance.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 23, 2018 at 8:46 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

Agreed
Agree with both of you, and I'll just add that with either Solomon or Buckner playing next to him, it will be hard for OLinemen to get a hand on him on stunts and dogs, if our DT'S provide him with a good screen to scrape the OLine protections off Landry. Key here is the continued development of both Buckner and Solomon.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Good find...playing out at 7-9T at Elephant isn't any different than a WILL ER (Aldon) in a 3-4 other than starting stance.

Yup. A 4-3 under is basically 4-3 defense using prototypical 3-4 Players.

Most snaps are in nickel or dime though so it doesn't matter too much anyways.
Originally posted by 49erInTheMidwest:

1. Browns - Allen
2. Giants - Chubb
3. Jets - Mayfield
4. Browns - Fitzpatrick
5. Broncos - Nelson
6. Colts - Roquan
7. Bucs - Barkley
8. Bears - Landry

That's the Rosen slide scenario that may happen... I think there are enough QB needy teams who have drunken the Rosen Kool Aide and will be eager to offer up their future in a trade with the Colts here...
Share 49ersWebzone