There are 247 users in the forums

Yay Area's 2017 Mock Offseason (Version 1)

Even if we don't draft a QB with a top 5 pick we still need to draft 1 early in the first 3 rounds. We also have a big need at NT and TE being overlooked in the draft. I would pass on drafting another OC/G in the 2nd round and go NT, or TE, or QB.

We need a QB, WR'S, ILB,PASS RUSHER, NT and TE as our priorities.
Originally posted by Tman:
There is absolutely no way we are going into next year with the same qbs

This
The only thing I like about this mock is trading back.....I think there are a number of qb's that we could draft....I think we should draft
3/4OLB
WR
QB
ILB
WR
NT
C/G
OT
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by TheNef77:
There's a reason Kap leveraged that new contract where he can opt out. He's not coming back. He's playing to get a good deal somewhere else.

At this rate, he's playing to get any deal somewhere in the NFL.

The saskatchewan roughriders are gonna offer him a max deal

seriously wtf

this is the worst mock draft/offseason ever
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Oct 24, 2016 at 5:27 PM ]
NO new QB's for next year = EPIC FAIL!!!!!!!!
One huge omission...the meanest, nastiest NT they can find. They just agreed on an injury settlement w/Ian Williams, so there's a major void on the DL. Neither Dorsey, Purcell or Dial are good enough to fill that bill. To draft ILB's doesn't make all that much sense without a stud in the middle of the DL. Matt Barrows wrote about this earlier in the week and IMHO he was spot on.

As for the guys you did pick, no argument WRT Mike Williams. In many's eyes, he's the best WR in this draft. Whether he'll last 'til pick 16, who knows. However it falls out, I see a QB and WR with the first two picks. That breaks Baalke's tradition, but it's time. It would send a strong message the team's serious about fixing the offense. My two guys are QB Trubisky & either Williams, Sutton or Corey Davis. They're all big, very talented WR's and you can bet Kelly will want one of 'em.

If they have any serious notions about trading Staley, then one of the top OT's makes sense. I don't really get the interior OL, though. What I do get is the DL needs a lot of help. The bad-ass NT I mentioned earlier and some stouter DL are desperately needed to rebuild that group. I also don't see a TE, and that's been a major disappointment so far this season. There's a kid from Ole Miss, Evan Engram, who's been compared to Jordan Reed. He's got great hands and is just an excellent all-around TE. Talk about a group who needs some good hands, it's definitely our TE's.

Also don't see Jamaal Williams lasting 'til the 6th rd...scouts know how good this kid is and I think he'll be long gone by then.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by njninersfan420:

Agreed

I agree but there's no top 5 quarterback
Originally posted by YayArea:
After watching the team lose yet again, looking at mock drafts and mock offseasons is about the only thing that provides some solace haha. Ideally, the Yorks would sell the team to a new ownership group that could provide solid leadership and vision like Lacob and Guber. I would love for the 49ers to be light years ahead. But I don't think the chances of that are very likely. So here we go.
If the niners don't get a shot at Garrett and don't see a QB better than the 2nd rounders I could see this happening. But you just have to get a QB this year.

General Manager/Team President - Nick Caserio (Currently the Director of Player Personnel for the Patriots)
Assistant GM - Tom Gamble
Head Coach - Chip Kelly (He remains for the time being)
This would be an interesting change. Caserio sounds a bit too much like Kelly and Baalke in personality, but who knows. Here's a comment from an NFL exec.:
"He's kind of a weird guy, quirky, not much personality, just a hyper-intense guy," one rival personnel executive said. "He's done a lot of different things. He's done coaching, he's done college, he's done pro. He seems real stiff, a little weird and I don't know if those qualities lend themselves to being a general manager, but he's really smart when it comes to football." But in the same article there is a quote from Scott Pioli about his selflessness. Has his ego in check. This would be a good option I would think...if they can find someone to be the friendly face of the team--Gamble?

1. Round 1 – While we certainly do need a franchise QB, I'm not convinced any of the options that will be available this year in the Top 5 or Top 10, have the repetitive accuracy and decision making to warrant the decision. I would rather wait it out, and shoot for Jake Browning next year. So, we trade our Top 5 pick to Tennessee for their two picks in the teens, currently slated at 16 and 17. This works according to the trade chart, as long as our pick is in the top 2 or 3. (http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/10/2017_nfl_draft_order_after_wee_1.html)

2. Round 1 (16) - Mike Williams, WR, Clemson. Our current depth chart at WR is so bad. We need a #1, we need depth, we need more playmakers. Mike Williams is arguably the best WR coming out this year.

3. Round 1 (17) - Reuben Foster, ILB, Alabama. It is very apparent that since losing Willis, then Borland, and then Bowman to injury, we need a another huge talent infusion at LB. And like Williams, Foster is arguably the best coming out this year at his position.
Currently there are two QBs in CBS's second round projection that may be considered on a par with Watson or Kizer--Kaaya and Kelly--and Kizer is 31st on their chart. So making this trade wouldn't preclude them from taking a QB to develop.

4. Round 2 (own pick) - Ethan Pocic, OG/OC, LSU. I believe drafting lineman, offensive and defensive, every year. Successful teams are built from the inside out. Yes we have Kilgore at Center, and we just signed and drafted Beadles and Garnett. But Pocic is worth it. Let them compete and see what happens. Either way, we develop depth.
Like Pocic but believe this would be a QB if they don't take one in the first round. Center is a need however...so could they trade back up into the 2nd? What if they trade their first and a third for the two firsts and a second? Hey....at this point it's all conjecture...

5. Round 3 (own pick) - Ryan Anderson, OLB/DE, Alabama. He is developing into one of Alabama's best pass rushers, which is certainly something we could use.
Funny story on the CBS site about Anderson and his girlfriend being arrested for damaging each other's cars in 2015. Nothing major but it's so college age!

Really like taking multiple WRs!
Epic Fail.

MUST address QB.

Okay I didn't want to make my own thread so I'll post it here.

Let's say we fire Kelly and Baalke, I would go with Elliot Wolfe as gm and I would try to go after Josh McDaniels as HC. i would trade a 3rd or 2nd for Garrapolo and trade down in the first to snag Mike Williams, assuming Myles isn't available at that spot.

suddenly we have a competent offense with a young and high potential qb, a legit number 1 receiver, and a Hyde that doesn't have to worry about 8 men in the box from a lack of a passing game.
Originally posted by gold49digger:

Let's say we fire Kelly and Baalke, I would go with Elliot Wolfe as gm and I would try to go after Josh McDaniels as HC. i would trade a 3rd or 2nd for Garrapolo and trade down in the first to snag Mike Williams, assuming Myles isn't available at that spot.

suddenly we have a competent offense with a young and high potential qb, a legit number 1 receiver, and a Hyde that doesn't have to worry about 8 men in the box from a lack of a passing game.

Why would Wolf leave the Packers where he is the GM in waiting when Ted Thompson retires to come work under Jed York?

Why would Josh McDaniels come to the 49ers after being warned to avoid them due to the power structure back in 2011?

No top GM or coaching candidate would come within a mile of a team that was on to their 4th head coach in 4 years. What you'd get is desperate or without options.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 1, 2016 at 3:23 PM ]
Originally posted by gold49digger:

Why would Wolf leave the Packers where he is the GM in waiting when Ted Thompson retires to come work under Jed York?

Why would Josh McDaniels come to the 49ers after being warned to avoid them due to the power structure back in 2011?

No top GM or coaching candidate would come within a mile of a team that was on to their 4th head coach in 4 years. What you'd get is desperate or without options.

Agree. This is why I believe the status quo will be maintained or a major shake up. The first is more likely as I don't see Jed giving a new GM the control they would want in order to get the team turned around. If Wolf or any other young GM candidate signed they would not want to have the type of interference witnessed over the past ten years. How would they assure this? A five million dollar bonus for the GM for every Jed tweet?

shoot i know all of this. I'm just in my own la la land assuming Jed somehow stops being an idiotic douche.
Share 49ersWebzone