LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

2017-Draft Running Backs

Jalen Hurd, RB Tennessee

He's a big, tall RB, and that's not necessarily the kind of guy I look for in a RB. Kelly's offense likes to use 'backs as receivers a lot, and his height could be an advantage in the passing game.

Went to high school in Tennessee & plays for the Vols; if he went to LSU or Ohio state would he be getting way more hype?

Elijah Hood
RB Tar Heels

Not a single Tar Heel was drafted this year, so it's not like he's surrounded by pro'-level talent. And he hasn't done much as a receiver, but he runs hard. 6'0 is a little tall for my taste, just like with Hurd but he's another RB on my radar.

And of course there's McCaffery, who has his own thread: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/185986-christian/

Hoping Kelvin Taylor makes the need for a RB a moot point...
[ Edited by NinerSickness on May 24, 2016 at 11:52 PM ]
When it comes RB I want Leonard Fournette from LSU.
Originally posted by DarkShinobiX:
When it comes RB I want Leonard Fournette from LSU.

No you don't. Drafting a guy like Fournette means you pass on a guy like Charles Harris, Carl Lawson, JuJu Smith-Schuster or a QB who has a break-out year. And this draft class is going to be one of the all-time greats at the RB position.

If the team didn't already have a good RB, I might agree with you. But I don't think drafting Fournette would be a good idea. He's going to be a top-5 pick; too high. It made sense for the Cowboys, but it wouldn't make sense for the Niners.
Next year's class is one of the best in a long time.

First round prospects...Fournette and Cook are possible top 10 guys.

Fournette
Cook
Chub
McCaffrey

Then you have guys like Freeman, Perine, Gallman, Hurd, Conner, Hood etc who can climb or go day 2.
Originally posted by genus49:
Next year's class is one of the best in a long time.

First round prospects...Fournette and Cook are possible top 10 guys.

Fournette
Cook
Chub
McCaffrey

Then you have guys like Freeman, Perine, Gallman, Hurd, Conner, Hood etc who can climb or go day 2.

Has the potential to be a special draft class if they all decide to come out.
[ Edited by SportOvaFilmTV on May 26, 2016 at 3:55 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Jalen Hurd, RB Tennessee

He's a big, tall RB, and that's not necessarily the kind of guy I look for in a RB. Kelly's offense likes to use 'backs as receivers a lot, and his height could be an advantage in the passing game.

Went to high school in Tennessee & plays for the Vols; if he went to LSU or Ohio state would he be getting way more hype?

Elijah Hood
RB Tar Heels

Not a single Tar Heel was drafted this year, so it's not like he's surrounded by pro'-level talent. And he hasn't done much as a receiver, but he runs hard. 6'0 is a little tall for my taste, just like with Hurd but he's another RB on my radar.

And of course there's McCaffery, who has his own thread: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/185986-christian/

Hoping Kelvin Taylor makes the need for a RB a moot point...

I may be biased as a Tennessee fan, but Hurd is special. He is huge, fast, and a very good receiver out of the backfield. He is right behind Fournette in my opinion.
[ Edited by 9RVOLS on May 27, 2016 at 10:39 PM ]
Originally posted by 9RVOLS:
I may be biased as a Tennessee fan, but Hurd is special. He is huge, fast, and a very good receiver out of the backfield. He is right behind Fournette in my opinion.

He's definitely on my radar. He could be dangerous in the right offense. Being 6'4 240, he's simply not going to be an every-down RB IMO. He's built like a TE. But that size could help him as a receiver, and that's how I see him being used in the NFL. He could catch coming out of the backfield or split out wide in motion or even line up as a TE.

And he could be a good change-of-pace 'back to run the ball.
I don't mind a low pick on a back but unless something bad happens to Hyde I can't see the justification in spending a 1st or 2nd next year.

Hoping CARLOS HYDE makes the need for a RB a moot point...

Fixed.
Originally posted by English:
I don't mind a low pick on a back but unless something bad happens to Hyde I can't see the justification in spending a 1st or 2nd next year.

Mee too.

IMO, we'll need a LT guy to groom to replace Staley and a QB if our current guys fail to make the grade.

Like James Connor 6'2 250 and runs a 4.5 hard runner that physically breaks tackles. Often seen defensive players stop thinking he was tackled but kept those legs turning and bust threw the pile
[ Edited by Since07 on May 28, 2016 at 5:16 PM ]
He's definitely on my radar. He could be dangerous in the right offense. Being 6'4 240, he's simply not going to be an every-down RB IMO. He's built like a TE. But that size could help him as a receiver, and that's how I see him being used in the NFL. He could catch coming out of the backfield or split out wide in motion or even line up as a TE.

And he could be a good change-of-pace 'back to run the ball.

Yeah he is definitely built a bit like a TE. Announcers like to compare him to Eddie George because of their size. They have a different running style though. He shares carries with Kamara and I can see him doing the same in the NFL. He is a home run threat, but also the type of back who can finish a defense off in the 4th quarter. I definitely would not mind seeing him and Hyde together if Hurd falls in the draft due to the RB depth that is expected with the 2017 class.
Isn't Forunette supposed to be Jesus in cleats? (I don't follow college)
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

Yes - breaks a ton of tackles (3x as many as Derrick Henry last year) and has home run speed. He's the best RB prospect to come out since Peterson and it isn't particularly close. Still not the best prospect in the class with Watson and Garrett coming out, but he would have been the #1 pick in 2015.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

Yes - breaks a ton of tackles (3x as many as Derrick Henry last year) and has home run speed. He's the best RB prospect to come out since Peterson and it isn't particularly close. Still not the best prospect in the class with Watson and Garrett coming out, but he would have been the #1 pick in 2015.

Thanks for the info bro. You guys are the best. If the niners have a high pick and there's no franchise qb to be had I always believe you go bpa. Vikings did it with Peterson.
Share 49ersWebzone