LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 334 users in the forums

2017-Draft Running Backs

Kalif Phillips, UNC-Charlotte - 5' 11" 220 lb receiving RB, team leader, hard runner, UDFA - 6th round
Wayne Gallman, Clemson - 6' 0" 215 lbs, good 3 down back, 4th round

A couple guys I like later
Dalvin Cook
Curtis Samuel declares for the 2017 NFL Draft

"For a running back/wide receiver hybrid of Samuel's caliber, it is totally understandable why he would leave school a year early to enter the NFL Draft. There are only so many hits a tailback can take before he rapidly decays as a football player.

Samuel was a highly effective player in college. He finished his Buckeyes career with 1,286 rushing yards on 172 carries for 15 touchdowns. As a receiver, Samuel had 107 career receptions for 1,249 receiving yards and nine touchdowns.

CBS.com has Samuel as the No. 11 wide receiver on its draft board with a third-round grade. He fits the mold of a productive NFL scat back. In the pass-heavy NFL, Samuel will find his way into a running back rotation in year one."

http://fansided.com/2017/01/09/curtis-samuel-declares-2017-nfl-draft/
Donte Foreman is my guy
5. RB Alvin Kamara, Tennessee

The 2017 running back class was billed all season long as this elite, rare group. Now that the names are known, the class looks good, but not all-time. That's caused by players like Nick Chubb and Royce Freeman going back to school, but also because players like Jalen Hurd didn't reach the levels expected of them.

One player at running back who exceeded expectations was Kamara. He's an explosive, dynamic back with true three-down ability. It was Kamara, not Hurd, who looked like the best NFL prospect on the Volunteers offense these last two seasons. He has a great shot to be drafted in the top 50.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2686625-scouting-notebook-leonard-fournette-interview-reuben-foster-perfection-more

Don't remember seeing much of this guy
Joe Mixon would an absolute beast in Kyle Shanahan's offense. He fits his scheme perfectly. Purely based on talent, he's a first rounder. If he's hanging around in the 3rd, we need to go up and get him.
Originally posted by strickac:
Joe Mixon would an absolute beast in Kyle Shanahan's offense. He fits his scheme perfectly. Purely based on talent, he's a first rounder. If he's hanging around in the 3rd, we need to go up and get him.

He will be the steal of this draft
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Kalif Phillips, UNC-Charlotte - 5' 11" 220 lb receiving RB, team leader, hard runner, UDFA - 6th round
Wayne Gallman, Clemson - 6' 0" 215 lbs, good 3 down back, 4th round

A couple guys I like later

I want Wayne Gallman on the 49ers
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by footballxpaul:

He will be the steal of this draft

He sure knows how to deal out punishment
CBS Sports draft analyst Rob Rang notes that Louisiana-Lafayette RB Elijah McGuire's "square frame and powerful, downhill running style make him a favorite for many."

McGuire is just one plant attempting to fight for light in the overstuffed rain forest that is the 2017 running back class. The 5-foot-11, 208-pounder might just have the chops to meet the sun. Rang writes that in addition to his power, he possesses "vision, quickness and burst, as he demonstrated on what turned out to the game-winner [at the East-West Shrine Game on Saturday]." Both Rang and Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline came away from the Shrine Game practice week impressed with what they saw from McGuire, who could well find himself selected on Day 2 in the draft. And if not Day 2, early on Day 3.

Source: CBS Sports

• okdkid
  • Veteran

He's probably RB4 in this draft on talent alone. But with his history I can see him falling a ways. I imagine most teams will take him off their board completely.

There would have been no chance we draft Mixon if Baalke was still around. But with a new GM/HC -- who can say?

http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/23/senior-bowl-2017-nfl-draft-prospects

Very shifty,strong and that speed
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Jan 24, 2017 at 8:47 AM ]
This guy reminds me of Devonta Freeman

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by saniner:
This guy reminds me of Devonta Freeman

Went on Youtube to find a few games of his, came away pretty impressed and I do like the Devonta Freeman comparison a lot. Runs hard and has very good vision like Freeman. Not to mention this kid seems to have a good head on his shoulders, always smiling in his interviews. Hopefully Shanahan can get him in the 4th to 5th rounds, this is a pretty stacked RB class so I'm thinking it's very possible he's there.

I'm also like Jeremy McNichols, I'm thinking more likely a 3rd to 4th round pick.

My Frank Gore comparison.
Share 49ersWebzone