Now we're talkin!!!
But I would switch Sterling Shepard for Malcolm Mitchell!!!
There are 909 users in the forums
Browse 49ers books and videos
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:Originally posted by Since07:Looks well thought out and very possible. Cook is a ? to me seems like people really go out of there way to express their dislike of him but he doesnt look as bad as they say he his. I do like Raglandand does makes sense but would rather some one else in the 1st
How not bad does he look? What do you like most about him, his lousy footwork, his panic anytime pressure gets near him, his inability to consistently throw short accurate passes, his #YOLO throws into traffic, that he'd be one of the few QB's drafted in the past decade that wasn't a team captain, that for all the "Pro Style Offense" accolades he actually played the game manager role in a pretty basic playaction passing offense. He has a lot of the weaknesses of Kaepernick without his athleticism or upside.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/04/draft-pff-scouting-report-connor-cook/
Short area accuracy is inconsistent at best. Graded at -2.3 on passes thrown in the 1-10 yard range
• Turnover-worthy throw percentage of 4.07 percent is higher than the other top quarterbacks in the class
• Struggled under pressure as his 53.4 percent accuracy percentage ranked 23rd in the class and only one of his 24 touchdowns came while pressured
Originally posted by Since07:
I'm not a fan of Cooks but when I say people go out of there way to attack him and label him as flat out terrible like this is just overkill. If His problem is short accuracy, footwork, turnovers that can get coached up.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:Originally posted by Since07:I'm not a fan of Cooks but when I say people go out of there way to attack him and label him as flat out terrible like this is just overkill. If His problem is short accuracy, footwork, turnovers that can get coached up.
Except there is nothing to support that it can be coached up. Guys who struggled with their accuracy in college dont suddenly become accurate passers when the competition gets bigger, faster and smarter.
Jim Harbaugh stated that he didnt want to mess with a guys mechanics once they got to the NFL, he understood that by the time you get to the NFL, that stuff is substantially engrained in you and you are who you are at that point. You can develop a guy, you can improve on their existing abilities but a guy who is one of the worst in the draft in short to intermediate accuracy isn't likely to turn into a consistently accurate passer in the NFL.
Tim Tebow has worked with every QB coach under the sun. Nobody has been able to fix his funky throwing motion nor make him an accurate passer. The guy isnt out of the NFL due to lack of effort or work ethic.
The whole "he can be coached up" rhetoric isnt realistic. Go look at how many NFL QBs had the college career completion % of Cook and are doing well in the NFL right now. There arent any. If your answer to a guy lacking in accuracy as a college QB is "well he can be coached to be more accurate", then you dont draft that guy.
Originally posted by Since07:
From what I just quickly read, one of the appealing attributes of Cook is that he targets and hits NFL caliber windows. So it's not the accuracy but the consistency of it and to my understanding he hits em when it's matters most.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:Originally posted by Since07:From what I just quickly read, one of the appealing attributes of Cook is that he targets and hits NFL caliber windows. So it's not the accuracy but the consistency of it and to my understanding he hits em when it's matters most.
Consistency is everything. If you're not consistently accurate in college, that likely isn't going to improve in the NFL. The problem is that the key tenet of Kelly's offense is consistent accuracy. Cook is best suited to be a game manager type in a vertical passing offense.
Originally posted by Draftology:The only pick I like is Joshua Garnett and there is 0% he'll be available at that pick. Ragland is the player I use when talking about how Baalke will probably screw this up and pick someone stupid...like Ragland.
Originally posted by Since07:Yea itd be kinda lame to have Ragland as our top pick but it wouldn't be a bad one dude can ball and is a thumper would fit in our scheme perfect.
Originally posted by Since07:
Originally posted by Draftology:
The only pick I like is Joshua Garnett and there is 0% he'll be available at that pick. Ragland is the player I use when talking about how Baalke will probably screw this up and pick someone stupid...like Ragland.
Yea itd be kinda lame to have Ragland as our top pick but it wouldn't be a bad one dude can ball and is a thumper would fit in our scheme perfect.
Originally posted by Draftology:Ragland would be a good addition to a good team, but I don't see him as a foundational building block, especially considering he'll likely be a two-down player.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:The problem is that they already have a thumper in Bowman. You dont need a guy to replicate what he does at a lesser level at ILB, you need a guy who can drop back into coverage and hang with TE's and RBs.
Originally posted by Since07:
I can agree he wouldn't be a "foundational" building block that Myles Jack would be but a building block non the less. If we did pick him he wouldn't be a 2 down player we'd run dual ILBs like we almost always do. Bowman can tackle I wouldn't consider him a thumper. The only thing bad to say about him is his his man coverage skills which can be improved our defensive scheme for dual ILBs is sit back in zone coverage and read the offense which I can see Ragland excelling at.