LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 227 users in the forums

Elephant Haley's 1st 2015 Mock Draft.

Originally posted by communist:
Boone is a FA in 2015, Martin has a huge upside but haven't showed much so far, if ADavis cant get a more constant performance in 2015, he could be gone next year or benched this year.
And in general, for me, there is no "if need be, can be" in the trenches. We have to line up the best personnel we can get there, from day one on. However, I haven't seen a single clear-cut candidate who could take over at LG so far at all.

Therefore, I would not count out an o-line pick in the first round.

A more constant performance? You realize he was injured most of last year... right? And him coming back at the end of the year just "coincidentally" led to Gore rushing for 300+ yards in the last 2 games of the season?

Anthony Davis gets respect around the NFL as arguably the best RT, and most likely the best run blocking RT in the NFL. Yes, he gives up the occasional sack, but he also has games where he shuts down top pass rushers like Clay Mathews, and is an intimidator that sets the tone for our OL.

It's just not realistic to expect a RT in a power-running scheme to be a shut-down pass protector. If he was, some team would make him rich playing LT.

Would be shocked to my core to see Anthony Davis go anywhere anytime soon.
Originally posted by LowerTheBoom:
The problem with this line of thinking is that OL is the biggest problem on the team, and is lacking the most man-power. Which is completely false. Going into last season, with our OL healthy, we were considered the gold-standard for OL play in the NFL. When your starting OL only plays a few games together all season because of injuries, it's not much of an assumption that INJURIES, not TALENT, were the main culprit behind horrible OL play.

And let's examine the REST of the offense's role in making the OL look good or bad.

QB: It's no secret that Kap didn't have a good year last year. One of the main critiques of him is that he held on to the ball too long, resulting in sacks that could have been avoided.

Funny how when we had a healthy Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree and OL, that Kap didn't have this problem... why? Because he actually had open WR's to get the ball to!!

By completely ignoring a position group we're pathetic at - WR - and focusing just on OL, you're still putting Kap in a situation where he is forced to hold the ball longer than he should because there is nowhere to go without.

Talented WR's make for better separation, which make for more decisive reads to the QB, which means less having to hold the ball and wait for someone to get open.

We would just be going in circles drafting more and more OL when we have good OL that were just injured or just getting their feet wet last year.

According to pro football focus Kap was sacked 52 times and only responsible for 7....so I wouldn't say he held the ball too long. They were ranked 30th in pass blocking last year. The issue like you said was health. The starters played together for a whole 1 QR las year lol. Getting healthy should cure a lot of our problems....
Any change of hearts now that Torrey Smith seems to be in the fold?
Originally posted by NYniner85:
According to pro football focus Kap was sacked 52 times and only responsible for 7....so I wouldn't say he held the ball too long. They were ranked 30th in pass blocking last year. The issue like you said was health. The starters played together for a whole 1 QR las year lol. Getting healthy should cure a lot of our problems....

I'm not sure how PFF truly evaluates that... what I was implying is that just because a QB "holds the ball too long" doesn't mean a sack is automatically his fault - if there is nobody open, I don't want him throwing the ball just for the sake of not taking a sack. That's what cowardly QB's do, just throw the ball up rather than take the punishment, and it likely turns into an INT.

I'm a gigantic Kap fan, I actually predicted we would trade up into the 1st round to draft him the year we did (we traded up into the early 2nd, but tried to get into the 1st).

We might not draft an OL til very late or at all this year- and that's how it should be.

I really wonder WHAT people are paying attention to here... we only have 3 WR's under contract, and 2 of them are question marks to even stick in the NFL, let alone have a significant impact on a stagnant passing game. We also have 1 RB under contract that hasn't suffered multiple career threatening injuries, our 2 starting CB's are both FA's, we have no back-up QB...

The only position on the team that needs LESS attention than OL is ILB.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

I think it increases the possibility of not HAVING to pick a WR in the 1st.

All that means is there are now 2 WR's on the team that have proven to be competent in the NFL, and that we would be guaranteeing Ellington and Patton prominent roles on offense with no real competition after proving next to nothing so far.

And I'm actually a fan of both Ellington AND Patton's potential... but being objective, only a fool would bank on them to become impact players based on what they have shown thus far.

Even so... the Torrey Smith signing gives us 4 WR's under contract, with Boldin being gone after this year.

HA ...well I'd like to see what he will command for cash! I like him and he helps fill a big hole, I hope they aren't throwing him $8-$9 million a year

We would be able to roll BPA at 15 and I would be all in for Trae Waynes.

Also not sure what that means for SJ?
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 9, 2015 at 6:25 AM ]
Originally posted by LowerTheBoom:

I'm not sure how PFF truly evaluates that... what I was implying is that just because a QB "holds the ball too long" doesn't mean a sack is automatically his fault - if there is nobody open, I don't want him throwing the ball just for the sake of not taking a sack. That's what cowardly QB's do, just throw the ball up rather than take the punishment, and it likely turns into an INT.

I'm a gigantic Kap fan, I actually predicted we would trade up into the 1st round to draft him the year we did (we traded up into the early 2nd, but tried to get into the 1st).

We might not draft an OL til very late or at all this year- and that's how it should be.

I really wonder WHAT people are paying attention to here... we only have 3 WR's under contract, and 2 of them are question marks to even stick in the NFL, let alone have a significant impact on a stagnant passing game. We also have 1 RB under contract that hasn't suffered multiple career threatening injuries, our 2 starting CB's are both FA's, we have no back-up QB...

The only position on the team that needs LESS attention than OL is ILB.

Yeah not sure how PFF evaluates it either, it's been talked about in another thread

OL should be looked at some point in the draft just not in the 1st 2 rounds. I would love for them to draft Cedric Ogbuehi in the 3rd. He was a stud in college and should be able to play at some point in 2015.

HA ...well I'd like to see what he will command for cash! I like him and he helps fill a big hole, I hope they aren't throwing him $8-$9 million a year

We would be able to roll BPA at 15 and I would be all in for Trae Waynes.

Also not sure what that means for SJ?

IMO, they should try and keep SJ under a restructured contract...if they can't, they should see what his trade value is worth. Boldin, Torrey Smith, Stevie Johnson, Bruce Ellington and Q. Patton along with a development rookie is a pretty damn strong WR corps. And if the retirement rumors of Willis and Cowboy are true, we'd have the cap space for both Torrey and SJ.

In this scenario, Waynes definitely makes a lot of sense...they might even consider trading up a bit to secure him.
That's alot of Grooming
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
I'm starting to warm to the idea of OL in 1st. Nice mock

C- Kilgore, Dillon Farrell
G- Joe Looney, Brandon Thomas, Marcus Martin

I think the 49ers feel confident regarding their Guard candidates to fill the position. Whether they do so is another question.

I think they are more worried about the Alex Boone leaving next year as he was an EXCELLENT back-up Left tackle in addition to being a starting guard. Joe Staley is also getting up their in age.

I think they are more worried about the Tackle position going forward.

They have 3/4 young Guard/Center types, but ZERO young Tackle prospects that they have recently drafted or signed.

Originally posted by Garlicboy:
C- Kilgore, Dillon Farrell
G- Joe Looney, Brandon Thomas, Marcus Martin

I think the 49ers feel confident regarding their Guard candidates to fill the position. Whether they do so is another question.

I think they are more worried about the Alex Boone leaving next year as he was an EXCELLENT back-up Left tackle in addition to being a starting guard. Joe Staley is also getting up their in age.

I think they are more worried about the Tackle position going forward.

They have 3/4 young Guard/Center types, but ZERO young Tackle prospects that they have recently drafted or signed.

I would let Brandon Thomas be Groomed to be Joe Staley's heir appearant and have Looney/Kilgore/Mmartin fight out the LG?C positions. Staley doesn't have much longer to go hate to say it.
Share 49ersWebzone