LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 226 users in the forums

Elephant Haley's 1st 2015 Mock Draft.

Originally posted by crew:
Don't think that Scherff and Peters are still on the board when Niners pick. If going CB in Rd2, Niners could take either Byron Jones or Alex Carter. Prefer either Ajayi or Langford over Yeldon.

Scherff may not be there but some impact player will fall through the cracks at 15. They should be able to take a top O-Lineman there.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Pretty good mock IMO. I just don't think Baalke will use his 1st round pick on an O-lineman with Brandon Thomas waiting in the wings and Marcus Martin can always be switch to LG if need be.
I'm starting to warm to the idea of OL in 1st. Nice mock
Nn
Lllll
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Home run mock IMO. Bunch of damn good football players right there. Now, I'm not sure all those guys (Peters, Agholor and Wright specifically) will still be on the board when we pick, but would be an A+ draft for me if they were.

Honestly I don't see anything on the offensive side of the ball that made the team better ...draft a guard in the top 15? He isn't Zack Martin or Iupati no thanks, and what does Agholor provide that we don't already have 3 of on the WR squad? This would be a very disappointing draft in my opinion.

I don't look at these mocks in a vacuum. I expect am to go out and sign/trade for a veteran deep-threat WR. If they don't then of course these mocks will all look very different.

That said, Scherff is the top OL in this draft by many accounts and would help solidify what in my mind was the weakest part of our offense last year. You plug in Scherff for Iupati, start Martin at center and you have 3 guys to battle it out as backups (Kilgore, Looney and Thomas). You can now do some things along the front line.

Peters would battle for a starting role (IMO) and Agholor could become your starting KR/PR. Throw in a free agent like Torrey Smith with Boldin, Ellington, Patton and Simpson and you're much stronger at WR than last year.
Nn
Lllll
Home run mock IMO. Bunch of damn good football players right there. Now, I'm not sure all those guys (Peters, Agholor and Wright specifically) will still be on the board when we pick, but would be an A+ draft for me if they were.

Honestly I don't see anything on the offensive side of the ball that made the team better ...draft a guard in the top 15? He isn't Zack Martin or Iupati no thanks, and what does Agholor provide that we don't already have 3 of on the WR squad? This would be a very disappointing draft in my opinion.

I don't look at these mocks in a vacuum. I expect am to go out and sign/trade for a veteran deep-threat WR. If they don't then of course these mocks will all look very different.

That said, Scherff is the top OL in this draft by many accounts and would help solidify what in my mind was the weakest part of our offense last year. You plug in Scherff for Iupati, start Martin at center and you have 3 guys to battle it out as backups (Kilgore, Looney and Thomas). You can now do some things along the front line.

Peters would battle for a starting role (IMO) and Agholor could become your starting KR/PR. Throw in a free agent like Torrey Smith with Boldin, Ellington, Patton and Simpson and you're much stronger at WR than last year.

Sure maybe they sign someone like Smith, but if we are looking at this strictly as a mock draft (which it is) I'm evaluating our needs, strengths, weaknesses etc...

I feel that the issue with our line was health not talent. Why draft at a position when they just spent 2 3rd round picks on it last year? Do you think they are nothing more than backups? Baalke wouldn't draft someone that high with the intention of saying they are backups. If Scherff is the top OL how would he make it to 15?

I like Peters not sure he last until our pick in the 2nd. Agholor isn't a upgrade at KR/PR to Ellington in my opinion.
You can look at this mock any way you wish, I'm factoring in potential free agent moves. If no major WR moves are made in free agency, your viewpoint then becomes more valid.

Few guards are great enough to warrant top 5 selections these days, but somewhere in the 7-15 range is where your top OGs would go and that's likely where we'll see Scherff go.

I don't think Martin is a backup; I even said in my post that he's a starter so I'm not sure what your point
is there. Regarding Thomas....I have no idea what he is but we'll see what Baalke thinks of him next month. My sense is that Thomas would start off as a valuable swing lineman (ot/og) and hopefully develop into a starting RG when Boone leaves in 2016, but that's just a guess.

I also agree that Peters may not be there in the second but we'll see. Ellington didn't do much on special teams last year so it'd be hard not to find an upgrade over him.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 8, 2015 at 11:41 AM ]
Nn
Lllll

Ghost,
You don't think that Kilgore outplayed Martin at center last year? Or are you saying that Kilgore may not play as well after his injury?
You can look at this mock any way you wish, I'm factoring in potential free agent moves. If no major WR moves are made in free agency, your viewpoint then becomes more valid.

Few guards are great enough to warrant top 5 selections these days, but somewhere in the 7-15 range is where your top OGs would go and that's likely where we'll see Scherff go.

I don't think Martin is a backup; I even said in my post that he's a starter so I'm not sure what your point
is there. Regarding Thomas....I have no idea what he is but we'll see what Baalke thinks of him next month. My sense is that Thomas would start off as a valuable swing lineman (ot/og) and hopefully develop into a starting RG when Boone leaves in 2016, but that's just a guess.

I also agree that Peters may not be there in the second but we'll see. Ellington didn't do much on special teams last year so it'd be hard not to find an upgrade over him.

I'm looking at the mock as he has it written lol. He doesn't state anything about FA, so I can't assume anything clearly if they get Smith in FA then things change but he didn't state that.

I thought Kilgore was very good at center before getting hurt, he will most likely take over his role come training camp. Thomas was regarded as a 2nd round pick before his ACL, He's had a full season to recover and was part of the team this past year. I don't see the point in drafting OL when we have two good rookies waiting in the wings that both played LG at some point in college. IF Boone leaves next year then why not draft one next year when the spot opens.

Ellington was 7th in the league in avg return yards that's not to shabby for a rookie.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 8, 2015 at 12:27 PM ]
PH, Kilgore outplayed Martin, but IMO MM has the upside and potential to be the better player. I think Martin should start bit wouldn't be shocked if Kilgore got the nod.
I've
IveIveI

I'm looking at the mock as he has it written lol. He doesn't state anything about FA, so I can't assume anything clearly if they get Smith in FA then things change but he didn't state that.

I thought Kilgore was very good at center before getting hurt, he will most likely take over his role come training camp. Thomas was regarded as a 2nd round pick before his ACL, He's had a full season to recover and was part of the team this past year. I don't see the point in drafting OL when we have two good rookies waiting in the wings that both played LG at some point in college. IF Boone leaves next year then why not draft one next year when the spot opens.

Ellington was 7th in the league in avg return yards that's not to shabby for a rookie.

I've stated my opinions, you disagree. Fair enough.

I've
IveIveI

I've stated my opinions, you disagree. Fair enough.

Yup no problem, can't always agree
I don't like using a first on a guard, when we basically just spent 2 early picks on the interior line last year. It shouldn't matter though, since I'd be very srurprised if scherff is still there at 15.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Pretty good mock IMO. I just don't think Baalke will use his 1st round pick on an O-lineman with Brandon Thomas waiting in the wings and Marcus Martin can always be switch to LG if need be.
Boone is a FA in 2015, Martin has a huge upside but haven't showed much so far, if ADavis cant get a more constant performance in 2015, he could be gone next year or benched this year.
And in general, for me, there is no "if need be, can be" in the trenches. We have to line up the best personnel we can get there, from day one on. However, I haven't seen a single clear-cut candidate who could take over at LG so far at all.

Therefore, I would not count out an o-line pick in the first round.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by daragon:
I am not a fan of wasting our 1st round pick on a guard.

I agree, I remember singlecell drafting 2 in the first round... lol I was pissed

but this mock draft looks pretty good
Originally posted by communist:
Boone is a FA in 2015, Martin has a huge upside but haven't showed much so far, if ADavis cant get a more constant performance in 2015, he could be gone next year or benched this year.
And in general, for me, there is no "if need be, can be" in the trenches. We have to line up the best personnel we can get there, from day one on. However, I haven't seen a single clear-cut candidate who could take over at LG so far at all.

Therefore, I would not count out an o-line pick in the first round.

The problem with this line of thinking is that OL is the biggest problem on the team, and is lacking the most man-power. Which is completely false. Going into last season, with our OL healthy, we were considered the gold-standard for OL play in the NFL. When your starting OL only plays a few games together all season because of injuries, it's not much of an assumption that INJURIES, not TALENT, were the main culprit behind horrible OL play.

And let's examine the REST of the offense's role in making the OL look good or bad.

QB: It's no secret that Kap didn't have a good year last year. One of the main critiques of him is that he held on to the ball too long, resulting in sacks that could have been avoided.

Funny how when we had a healthy Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree and OL, that Kap didn't have this problem... why? Because he actually had open WR's to get the ball to!!

By completely ignoring a position group we're pathetic at - WR - and focusing just on OL, you're still putting Kap in a situation where he is forced to hold the ball longer than he should because there is nowhere to go without.

Talented WR's make for better separation, which make for more decisive reads to the QB, which means less having to hold the ball and wait for someone to get open.

We would just be going in circles drafting more and more OL when we have good OL that were just injured or just getting their feet wet last year.
Share 49ersWebzone