There are 166 users in the forums

OnTheClock's Mock Premiere 1/9/15

If Cowboy retires, I think Dorsey is moving outside. Don't forget, Williams hasn't made through a whole season the last two years.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Not against addressing DL and OL but to use the first 2 picks on guys that probably won't start seems a bit of a waste.

Well our first 2 picks last year didn't exactly start either. I think they'd have Brown do some strengthening and conditioning to drop 5 pounds and compete with TJE at DE for McDonald's vacated spot. At 6-4 315, Brown's pass-rush ability would be a nice asset there at LE on defense. I could see us with a nice rotation with Brown and Anderson in the mix.

LE: TJE/Brown*/Dial
NT: Williams/Dorsey/Dial
RE: Carradine/Anderson/Dial

True but they are slightly different scenarios. The nickel back is essentially a starter and Hyde saw a decent amount of snaps. A backup OT may never see the field unless there is an injury(which is def possible) and a NT, that already plays a limited amount of snaps in this D, would have to beat out 2 very good ones already on the roster. But as you said these were positions of injury so it could work out. Good mock though
Edit: sorry saw you said Brown could play DE as well. I'm actually fine with that pick. The OT was my bigger issue
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Jan 10, 2015 at 1:15 PM ]
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I don't think the team will switch based on who that have right now. We would have the three best 3-4 ILBs in the game next season with Willis, Bowman, and Borland. If we moved to a 4-3, I'm not sure what we would do with all that LB talent.

Might be crazy, but I think the team would put Borland in the middle and split Bowman and Willis on the sides. This might actually save Willis some wear and tear and would put three studs along that middle line.
I could definitely see that with Aldon and Lynch becoming 4-3 DE's.

Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
If we don't come away with a 6'2+ explosive receiver either through the draft, free agency, or in a trade then it's not a very good offseason in my opinion. We need a truly elite #1 receiver that is a physical specimen with a big wingspan.

The reason this is a necessity is because we've seen what has happened these last few years with our receiving core. We either have had a bunch of possession receivers or smaller fast guys that can hardly get off the line of scrimmage. When you have a quarterback with inconsistent accuracy, you need to get a receiver with a large wingspan who can create separation between him and the defender.

The panthers got that kind of guy for Cam Newton and now we need to get that kind of guy for Kap. Let's face it, Kap is not throwing pinpoint passes on the money right as receivers get out of their breaks, like a Aaron Rodgers, Brees, Manning, etc. He needs bigger targets that can create more separation that compliment his skills better. We need a player in the mold of an AJ Green, Demaryius Thomas, Julio Jones, Megatron, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, etc.

Guys that come to mind who could possibly fill that void Dorial Green Beckham, Josh Gordon, Sammie Coates, Ty Montgomery, Devante Parker, Kevin White..

I disagree with the bolded. Kap throws passes like that to Boldin all the time. But he rarely throws them like that to anyone else.

Kap doesn't need a big guy with speed, he needs a guy with all-world hands.

To me, these were the 49ers Three Biggest Problems Last Year:
1. Pass Protection
2. Lack of a deep threat
3. Pass Rush

Great mock, Baalke has traits/characteristics he looks for at every position and any new/existing coach will have to adjust around that. So your draft reflects his strengths(late round G/C/CB/DL/OLB)

My two concerns are depth and the "lack of a deep threat". We draft an OT for depth and because J.Martin was horrible. We draft DL because RayMac/Cowboy(we assume) are gone and we haven't seen enough of Tank/Dial/TJE to say we know they can cover either DE spot at the above average we are used to. Makes sense.

Our playmaker depth chart is just as questionable as our DL depth chart. Stevie/Ellington were injured when we needed them, we still don't know what we have in Patton/Ellington and Anquan --strong ass an ox-- is 34. I love the Hardy pick, he looks like you took Quinton Patton's body and inserted Boldin's jump/fight for the ball ability from the Ravens Superbowl run. Even with Hardy, a tall/fast WR later(like the steels got with Martavis Bryant) or a speedy WR like you described in Greene or that someone made a thread for like Tyler Lockett.

PR also needs to be addressed(maybe with speed WR pick), it doesn't come natural to Ellington and we still need a backup(not Cox).

In regards to WR, if this draft is 2012 bad, maybe we are just better off just selecting one WR. http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/positions/_/id/1/year/2012/wide-receivers
  • All22
  • Veteran
The 2012 WR class wasn't THAT bad... Jeffery and Hilton are two game changing players and Malcolm Floyd is a very good WR suffering from horrible QB play.
Justin hardy seems to get caught from behind slot. I think if we are going to draft anything it needs to be a 5-11-6'1" reciever with some serious speed. Right now as I watch the highlights from these guys there are only 2 guys I would even waste a pick on besides Amari cooper.

1) Kevin white
2) Antwan goodley

Just watch their films compared to the other guys. They are running from people at every angle...most other guys if plays lasted about longer they'd be caught from behind.

Extremely unimpressed with this years receiving class.
Originally posted by Derelict:

To me, these were the 49ers Three Biggest Problems Last Year:
1. Pass Protection
2. Lack of a deep threat
3. Pass Rush

Great mock, Baalke has traits/characteristics he looks for at every position and any new/existing coach will have to adjust around that. So your draft reflects his strengths(late round G/C/CB/DL/OLB)

My two concerns are depth and the "lack of a deep threat". We draft an OT for depth and because J.Martin was horrible. We draft DL because RayMac/Cowboy(we assume) are gone and we haven't seen enough of Tank/Dial/TJE to say we know they can cover either DE spot at the above average we are used to. Makes sense.

Our playmaker depth chart is just as questionable as our DL depth chart. Stevie/Ellington were injured when we needed them, we still don't know what we have in Patton/Ellington and Anquan --strong ass an ox-- is 34. I love the Hardy pick, he looks like you took Quinton Patton's body and inserted Boldin's jump/fight for the ball ability from the Ravens Superbowl run. Even with Hardy, a tall/fast WR later(like the steels got with Martavis Bryant) or a speedy WR like you described in Greene or that someone made a thread for like Tyler Lockett.

PR also needs to be addressed(maybe with speed WR pick), it doesn't come natural to Ellington and we still need a backup(not Cox).

In regards to WR, if this draft is 2012 bad, maybe we are just better off just selecting one WR. http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/positions/_/id/1/year/2012/wide-receivers

Appreciate the kind words. I think you see where I'm going with this. Like some tend to do, we get sucked into our own desires for a draft, but the team doesn't do what we want half the time. I go with what seems to be classic Baalke style selecting, and this is a general guesstimate of how he would operate this draft.
I could see Bowman making the transition since he's played there before, but just not sure about Willis, since he'd basically be learning a new position on the outside. I'm sure he could do it, but I just wonder how he would look there. It would certainly be interesting with a front 7 of something like that.

Willis - Borland - Bowman
Aldon - Williams - Dorsey - Carradine/Lynch

I have suggested we run a 4-3 with that lineup. But switch Tank to DT. He would be devastating as an interior rusher.
Everything will fall on hc
Justin smith as far as the draft goes....he doesn't come back we will a dress D-line
I can see how this can nice work.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
This is a good mock. OL and DL are big needs. The WZ is very WR obesessed. Baalke sucks at picking them and we probably won't take one real high anyway. Kap is fine with the weapons he has if he can learn to make his reads and throw accurately.

Agreed. Would maybe like to see a developmental QB in the mix or a RB instead of another OLB, but that would likely depend on what the NIners do in free agency. I don't think the Niners are re-signing or franchising Iupati based on his completely undeserved Pro Bowl nomination. His price tag will be way too high for his quality of play, especially in the passing game.

A+ draft. I'd really like this. Our trenches need to be re vamped. And i think Dorsey would start at DE over TJE
[ Edited by lamontb on Jan 10, 2015 at 8:31 PM ]
Nice work dude.
Question though, about Brown's role.

Are you drafting him to play NT or to play DE?
Because I don't know how I feel using a first round pick on a NT, and I don't think he has the speed to play DE.
I like this mock, but I would make one change: Tyler Lockett instead of Justin Hardy
Don't get the logic in trading down in a weak draft unless you're getting future picks in return.

We need to stop passing on top receivers. I agree size isn't everything but we should be able to stay put and target one of White, Parker or Strong and plug them in from the start or let them take their time a bit learning from Q.
I've been trying to convince people that we need to draft a quality backup OT for years. If he can also play guard, even better.

This draft has a true understanding of the dynamics of this team.
Share 49ersWebzone