There are 218 users in the forums

more of a wish list then a mock draft

I've never done a mock draft before and don't have the time right now to go over every possible scenario so instead of doing a half assed mock, here's my half assed wish list. Based only on actual and projected team needs, and for the time being only the first round. Be gentle.....
12/19/2014

1, Shawn Oakman, DE Baylor
Kid is huge - 6'8'', 280. Justin Smith has one year left at the most and its not out of the realm of possibilities that he retires after this year. At 6'8'' this guy has
to have a huge wing span, and we all know how Baalke feels about those. He comes from a 3-4 system. He has a checkered past. He was kicked out of Penn State because some off the field issues (disorderly conduct, grades). His coaches and those around him think the incident at Penn St was his rock bottom and that he is now a changed person. Intriguing......

2. Devante Parker, WR Louisville
6'2'', 209. Started off the year with a broken foot and missed the first 7 games. Returned for the final 5 games. In those 5 games, he had 35 catches for 735 yards and 5 touchdowns. Not a polished route runner, but has outstanding leaping ability and good body control. If, huge if, out coaches can help him develop into a true #1 WR, we will have a very good WR corps with Parker, Boldin, Johnson, Patton and Ellington.

3. La'el Collins, OT LSU
6'5'', 320. Offensive line must be a priority. Our lack of a swing tackle really killed us in 2014. Anthony Davis' concussion situation is a bit of a worry, especially
if he goes down with another one any time next year. Joe Staley is still solid but he is getting older. He's listed on a few websites as a devastating run blocker and a good pass blocker who can get off the ball fast and maintain his blocks. One scouting website thinks his "squarish" build makes him better suited for guard instead of tackle in the NFL. Either way, we need some help in the trenches.

If I wasnt such a believer in having strong line play, Parker would be my hands down #1. There's just to much uncertainty along the defensive line. We will learn a bunch more about our line situation over the next two weeks, but i think we may need to draft Cowboys replacement regardless of what he decides to do in regards to next season. Maybe we can find a quality 3-4 DE or in the 2nd and later rounds, but 6'8'' 280 is a little to intriguing to pass on.
[ Edited by AZ9erfan520 on Dec 19, 2014 at 8:32 AM ]
I absolutely agree that winning up front is a must if a team is going to be successful. My issue with Oakman is that he has always been the biggest strongest guy that he has never learned really good technique he has flashes of all pro. But once he goes pro he won't be the biggest(well maybe biggest) but not the strongest and his lack of technique will hurt him. Tomsula after a season or 2 would have him where he needs to be though so I wouldn't be to upset.
Offensive line, defensive line, wide receiver. I like your priorities!
Originally posted by English:
Offensive line, defensive line, wide receiver. I like your priorities!

This.
I'm not sure if it's very accurate, but I like the needs you address.
I think all 3 of these players will be gone before the beginning of the second round.
Priority ranking
1) WR
2) Defensive line
3) Offensive line
4) Backup QB
5) CB
6) OLB
7) RB (they always draft one)
I think if they go DL early, Oakman is too raw to go that early.

My favorite spots are WR and DL. If they can get a top talent like a Kevin White or DeVante Parker, sure. But if not, trade down in the 1st, add some more picks, get a DL or a guy like Sammie Coates.
Share 49ersWebzone