LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

TE

I don't know if anyone else is thinking this but I feel like TE has become one of our needs considering Davis relies on his athleticism which won't be around much longer and Vmac has inconsistent hands.Another reason is Davis is demanding an extension which makes no sense considering the single reason I listed above.

IMO we need to draft a TE in the 1st or 2nd round next year.The biggest name that pops out at me is Devin Funchess. 6'6" 250lb TE with great speed and good hands.Also blocks well.Same amount of athleticism as Vernon just in a bigger body.
Devin is 6'5 and 230 and a WR. Even listed on Michigan's website as such.
You're underestimating Vmac.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Everywhere I've looked has him listed as a TE
Originally posted by 9ertillidie:

right here, the first post, it says he's not a TE
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/178899-te/#reply

But honestly, im really tired of us always drafting a TE... feel like we've drafted 10 in the last 13 years or so
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Zachary:
right here, the first post, it says he's not a TE
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/178899-te/#reply

But honestly, im really tired of us always drafting a TE... feel like we've drafted 10 in the last 13 years or so

Nate Byham was a true TE picked in 2010, so it's been a while since they've taken a true TE. Delanie walker was a WR converted to a TE. Harper was a WR project to be a TE, and so it does look like we've been drafting TE's when we really were trying to convert them. Vance is the only true TE drafted since 2010. I do think we need more depth there with VD making salary cap noises and his age. I'd love it if we can go to a true three Tight end offense. I think with a power running game and a 3 tight end offense, that is an offense that will be tough to stop on short yardage situations and in the red zone.
I think the offense will be going to more three wide receiver sets. That means that Miller (fullback) and Vance (tight end) will probably be playing less snaps - and my hunch is that more often Miller will more likely to stay in than Vance to keep a little more flexibility in power run options from the three receiver sets. With less two tight end sets, I think it is less important to add another highly talented tight end in the draft. I think having Davis and Vance (who plays special teams pretty well) with Celek or another tight end who can play special teams is plenty enough for now.

Admittedly, this is a bit of change in what I was thinking when it looked like Vernon could possibly be a tough hold out. Now that he isn't, I think the Niners management probably have at least another year to see how things shake out before deciding that it might be time to move on from Vernon.
[ Edited by 49erphan on Jul 2, 2014 at 8:38 AM ]
http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/devin_funchess_810569.html

If u keep reading he's played TE since his freshmen year

If u keep reading he's played TE since his freshmen year

But if you watch, hes not a good blocker that is better as a receiver than TE. He's essentially Kelvin Benjamin.

But if you watch, hes not a good blocker that is better as a receiver than TE. He's essentially Kelvin Benjamin.

Go watch him play Michigan State.Above average run blocker.But your 50% right because he's a sub par pass blocker.Overall he can get better at it but that can be coached.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erphan:
I think the offense will be going to more three wide receiver sets. That means that Miller (fullback) and Vance (tight end) will probably be playing less snaps - and my hunch is that more often Miller will more likely to stay in than Vance to keep a little more flexibility in power run options from the three receiver sets. With less two tight end sets, I think it is less important to add another highly talented tight end in the draft. I think having Davis and Vance (who plays special teams pretty well) with Celek or another tight end who can play special teams is plenty enough for now.

Admittedly, this is a bit of change in what I was thinking when it looked like Vernon could possibly be a tough hold out. Now that he isn't, I think the Niners management probably have at least another year to see how things shake out before deciding that it might be time to move on from Vernon.

I'm pretty sure you are right that they go to more of a 3 WR set. But where the three tight end set would be most effective is in the red zone and short yardage situations.

Having said that, I'm actually looking to see if carlos hyde can play a bit of fullback or H-back myself. I still think Harbaugh will be a run first coach, the two Martins, Lattimore, and Hyde is way too much draft capital to spend on the ground game if he's truly intending to be a pass first coach.
Jeff Heuerman at Ohio State is a great looking tight end. Size, hands, smooth, body control...
Originally posted by Quest4six:
You're underestimating Vmac.

This

VMac is going to have a very good season.
Nick O'Leary is an interesting guy that I will be keeping my eye on.
Share 49ersWebzone