LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 303 users in the forums

If you don't like this Mock you got problems

I love the draft...but agree I don't see Verrett falling so far. Also while Ellington is my favorite player in this draft I think we also need a bigger receiver earlier in the draft.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
You're right; I would got problems if I had a problem with that mock.

It could be even better without Buchanon though. Otherwise, great mock!

Lol thanks. I wonder why some of you guys aren't that high on Bucannon though? Is it him or just because you don't feel strong safety is that big a need right now. I don't think it's necessary we go strong safety as I think Bethea has a few good years left, but I do really like Bucannon.
Originally posted by genus49:
I love the draft...but agree I don't see Verrett falling so far. Also while Ellington is my favorite player in this draft I think we also need a bigger receiver earlier in the draft.

Yeah I would love a big fast guy like Moncrief or Latimer, but those guys have really rose in the draft and I don't know if they would be there with the second second round pick. I'm torn between getting a receiver there or Bucannon.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
I like your picks, just not the methods. With a big hole at CB, I wouldn't risk missing out on a coveted CB prospect by trading out of the first round.

I could see that concern. I figure one of those guys would be there at 39. I'd even take Roby at that spot.

Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I like it. I'm a big Tuitt supporter, although I would probably take Moncrief over Bucannon.

Yeah I think I might too. I'm really torn between those two. Really want that big receiver that can stretch the field. At the same time I want another big athletic safety. I went with Bucannon because I thought there's a better chance he is there than Moncrief.

Originally posted by NickSh49:
I'd also argue the 49ers are not looking for a #3 WR. They are looking for a #1 or #2.

Yes they do need a #1 or #2 for the future, but more importantly they need a slot receiver right now. Ellington could be a #2 also.

Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
You almost had me with this one...only thing I'd change is to substitute Desir for Aikens. Pierre's got the size and length (arms) Baalke likes so much. Especially important with the shorter, smaller Verrett already taken. Overal, great job, man.
Desir is cool too and probably more pro ready. He was one of my alternative picks at that slot. I like Aiken though for his athleticism. He also has decently long arms at over 32".
[ Edited by pwillis52beasty on Apr 28, 2014 at 5:32 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I like Verrett, Bucannon and Fales, but Fales could be gone by or (maybe) before the 4th round.
Replace Jeffcoat for Marcus Smith and I would be HAPPPY HAPPPPY HAPPPPPY
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Yeah I would love a big fast guy like Moncrief or Latimer, but those guys have really rose in the draft and I don't know if they would be there with the second second round pick. I'm torn between getting a receiver there or Bucannon.

I love Bucannon but we need a receiver more imo with Crabtree coming up for FA and Boldin at most with 2 years left.

And I don't buy the rise of the receivers thing. It's getting closer to the draft which means 50 players are rumored to be surefire first round picks. Someone will drop...they just may have to move up a bit from #56 to get one they prefer.

The only guys I think are surefire first rounders at WR are Watkins, Evans and Beckham Jr.

I think Cooks also sneaks in there because of his combine and I hope it's to another team. Probably Marqise Lee as well due to his prior seasons...I hope someone else takes him as well. Love his talent but his injuries/size make me nervous.

Then you have Allen Robinson, Donte Moncrief, Cody Latimer, Jordan Matthews, Davante Adams, Paul Richardson and Kelvin Benjamin

It's possible they're all gone before our 56th pick but I think there are enough very good players in this draft at other positions for the run to get that crazy. Even then if the niners see a run happening they can trade up and take one of the guys they like there.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

Yeah I wanted Marcus Smith or Demarcus Lawrence but thought they would be gone by that pick

Originally posted by LVJay:
I like Verrett, Bucannon and Fales, but Fales could be gone by or (maybe) before the 4th round.

Yeah I think he may be gone too. I'm probably going to end up editing this mock a few days from now leading up to the draft. I think we could get by without even drafting a QB.
Lol thanks. I wonder why some of you guys aren't that high on Bucannon though? Is it him or just because you don't feel strong safety is that big a need right now. I don't think it's necessary we go strong safety as I think Bethea has a few good years left, but I do really like Bucannon.

I think Bucannon has huge problems in coverage and tackling unbocked in the open field (agility problems). They're the same problems I have with another player on whom I've railed in another thread, but that's not a topic for this thread. he can hit & seems to play fearlessly, but he just doesn't move laterally fast enough for my liking. It's the same problem I had with DJ Swearinger last year. A lot of people I know liked Swearinger more than Reid (Reid was my #1 safety by a mile last year). And He was an ok prospect, but a 2nd round pick is way too high for an ok safety prospect IMO. Here's just a small example of what I'm talking about:

He wasn't being blocked and was coming right at Mariota on that play, but he let Mariota blow by him.

Here his stop & change of direction takes forever:

This one isn't terrible, but I've seen too much of this kind of separation when he's in coverage:

Like I said, this is s small sample, but I've seen a lot of it. Plus he spells his names wrong. He, like Swearinger, is early-4th-round-caliber talent IMO.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Apr 28, 2014 at 6:48 PM ]
Originally posted by genus49:

I love Bucannon but we need a receiver more imo with Crabtree coming up for FA and Boldin at most with 2 years left.

And I don't buy the rise of the receivers thing. It's getting closer to the draft which means 50 players are rumored to be surefire first round picks. Someone will drop...they just may have to move up a bit from #56 to get one they prefer.

The only guys I think are surefire first rounders at WR are Watkins, Evans and Beckham Jr.

I think Cooks also sneaks in there because of his combine and I hope it's to another team. Probably Marqise Lee as well due to his prior seasons...I hope someone else takes him as well. Love his talent but his injuries/size make me nervous.

Then you have Allen Robinson, Donte Moncrief, Cody Latimer, Jordan Matthews, Davante Adams, Paul Richardson and Kelvin Benjamin

It's possible they're all gone before our 56th pick but I think there are enough very good players in this draft at other positions for the run to get that crazy. Even then if the niners see a run happening they can trade up and take one of the guys they like there.

Yeah I agree with most of that. I did draft one receiver though so felt like we should go safety with another pick, especially since secondary has been the most depleted unit this offseason.

Originally posted by VPofCarnage:

I think Bucannon has huge problems in coverage and tackling unbocked in the open field (agility problems). They're the same problems I have with another player on whom I've railed in another thread, but that's not a topic for this thread. he can hit & seems to play fearlessly, but he just doesn't move laterally fast enough for my liking. It's the same problem I had with DJ Swearinger last year. A lot of people I know liked Swearinger more than Reid (Reid was my #1 safety by a mile last year). And He was an ok prospect, but a 2nd round pick is way too high for an ok safety prospect IMO. Here's just a small example of what I'm talking about:

He wasn't being blocked and was coming right at Mariota on that play, but he let Mariota blow by him.

Here his stop & change of direction takes forever:

This one isn't terrible, but I've seen too much of this kind of separation when he's in coverage:

Like I said, this is s small sample, but I've seen a lot of it. Plus he spells his names wrong. He, like Swearinger, is early-4th-round-caliber talent IMO.

Well thanks for the analysis. I loved Eric Reid last year and wasn't high on Swearinger either. Bucannon came in 8th in the 20 yard shuttle and 3rd in the 3 cone drill out of safeties at the combine and both of his times were practically identical to Eric Reid's. So I wouldn't worry too much about his agility. I like his size, athleticism, hard hitting style, and play making ability. I think he's good enough in coverage for a strong safety. I'd be down for a receiver like Latimer, Moncrief, Matthews, Robinson at 61 as well, but I do think Bucannon will be good.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran

Yeah I wanted Marcus Smith or Demarcus Lawrence but thought they would be gone by that pick

Yeah I think he may be gone too. I'm probably going to end up editing this mock a few days from now leading up to the draft. I think we could get by without even drafting a QB.

Yeah, I'd like to have Fales and it would be great if he's there when we pick in the 4th/5th, but (as you already know) we have more pressing needs in the earlier rds. Verrett is cool and getting another (taller w/speed) CB after Verrett is ideal (you choose).

Yeah, I'd like to have Fales and it would be great if he's there when we pick in the 4th/5th, but (as you already know) we have more pressing needs in the earlier rds. Verrett is cool and getting another (taller w/speed) CB after Verrett is ideal (you choose).

Yeah that's why I went with Aikens. 6'1 with 4.3 speed.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran

A lot of people like Stanley Jean-Baptiste and Pierre Desir. How would you compare/evaluate the three?

Kyle Fuller or Verrett, why?

A lot of people like Stanley Jean-Baptiste and Pierre Desir. How would you compare/evaluate the three?

Kyle Fuller or Verrett, why?

From what I know, Aikens is more of a raw prospect with more upside. Also, Jean Baptiste would be a pretty old rookie at 24, I don't think he has the greatest long speed and believe a lot of the passes he gives up are deep balls ( I don't like that), he's going to likely go higher than Aikens, and I feel like we already have our Richard Sherman like project in Chris Cook. Really though I wouldn't be mad with any of those guys. I'm confident in our team when it comes to drafting the right guys on defense.

As for Fuller and Verrett. I think Verrett is better in coverage, but Fuller has the size and length you look for in a top corner when matching up against the Calvin Johnsons, Julio Jones, Demaryius Thomas's, etc. I think because the NFL is a copycat league, Fuller will end up being drafted before Verrett. I'd love to have Fuller or Verrett, but think it's more likely that Verrett drops to 39 than Fuller.
Share 49ersWebzone