LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 355 users in the forums

MadDog's Best Player Available Board #1-50 April 26, 2014

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
One thing about Gilbert that bothers me. Relies too much on his athleticism. Often very sloppy in technique. Can it be corrected? Sure. Does he have all the physical tools? Sure. I simply grade Fuller slightly over him. Believe he will be more dedicated to the NFL than Gilbert.

They are going to be drafted nearer to each other than many feel. Maybe 5 picks difference.
Ehy MadDog,
this is a really surprising board.

Why Cody Latimer and Martavis Bryant are in your board and Donte Mocrief is out?

Don't you like the guy?
No Hageman, Tuitt or Nix?
So here is my interesting CB question for you:

If both Verrett and Dennard are still available at # 30, you would pick Verrett? If Verrett was gone and Dennard was still on the board, would you consider him a good pickup for the Niners?

A 30 spot difference on this board is really intruiging to me.
Hey MadDog:
Thanks for your top 5 list. Are you going to attempt a 49ers draft board? I would really appreciate your insights into how they would evaluate players and who would be good players on their board and who they would eliminate.
Thanks ahead of time.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Agree with Mack, Robinson, and Watkins. Zach Martin really that high? How did Gilbert not grade out ahead of Fuller?

One thing about Gilbert that bothers me. Relies too much on his athleticism. Often very sloppy in technique. Can it be corrected? Sure. Does he have all the physical tools? Sure. I simply grade Fuller slightly over him. Believe he will be more dedicated to the NFL than Gilbert.

After seeing your grade on Fuller I decided to watch some more highlights of him and I can see why he has such a high grade. I could easily see him being a top 20 pick and the 2nd CB off the board. But the athleticism of Gilbert is exactly why I feel he should have a higher grade. Great size, long arms, and superior speed. His combine performance of 4.37 40 time and 20 reps of 225, in addition to his impressive field drills, puts him as a top 10 grade in my evaluation. I can agree Fuller may be more developed technically, but that just puts him closer to his ceiling.

Also, great job noticing Telvin Smith. He's not getting a lot of publicity, but he is going to be a monster in the NFL. How would you see him fitting in with the Niners? Would you put him at safety or OLB in our system? I tend to favor him as OLB for the Niners, but he could be a great in-the-box safety. Could we get more analysis of what you see in him?
Originally posted by Decima_Mas:
Ehy MadDog,
this is a really surprising board.

Why Cody Latimer and Martavis Bryant are in your board and Donte Mocrief is out?

Don't you like the guy?

I see Moncrief as a third round prospect, below both of the other mentioned guys. Good looking player, but just not in my top 50.
Originally posted by ninergold:
No Hageman, Tuitt or Nix?

I want to like Hageman, because he has all the physical tools in the bag. The problem is that he is so massively inconsistent. Underperforms, which is bad news at the NFL level. Should have been dominant at the Senior Bowl, but I only saw brief glimpses of what he could do if he commits to excellence.

Have health concerns for both Tuitt and Nix, and saw them underperform as well this past season. Once again, should be so much better than what they showed on the field. For all three players, I have third round grades.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

If both Verrett and Dennard are still available at # 30, you would pick Verrett? If Verrett was gone and Dennard was still on the board, would you consider him a good pickup for the Niners?

I think Verrett is the better player in the NFL. I want a guy who can play off the LOS, and is versatile enough to cover both the slot and outside. I don't trust Dennard in off coverage.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Hey MadDog:
Thanks for your top 5 list. Are you going to attempt a 49ers draft board? I would really appreciate your insights into how they would evaluate players and who would be good players on their board and who they would eliminate.
Thanks ahead of time.

Sure. Should be posted in the next week. I also make the Niners pick while on the clock on the NFL Draft thread and later post it on my review.

Originally posted by theninermaniac:
After seeing your grade on Fuller I decided to watch some more highlights of him and I can see why he has such a high grade. I could easily see him being a top 20 pick and the 2nd CB off the board. But the athleticism of Gilbert is exactly why I feel he should have a higher grade. Great size, long arms, and superior speed. His combine performance of 4.37 40 time and 20 reps of 225, in addition to his impressive field drills, puts him as a top 10 grade in my evaluation. I can agree Fuller may be more developed technically, but that just puts him closer to his ceiling.

Also, great job noticing Telvin Smith. He's not getting a lot of publicity, but he is going to be a monster in the NFL. How would you see him fitting in with the Niners? Would you put him at safety or OLB in our system? I tend to favor him as OLB for the Niners, but he could be a great in-the-box safety. Could we get more analysis of what you see in him?

To me, Fuller and Gilbert are close. Really close.

As for Smith, he is flying under the radar, but the kid is an absolute stud. Probably best suited in a Tampa 2 scheme. Already stated that he does not want to shift to SS in the NFL. Not a good fit in our scheme at LB. Great instincts and sharp football IQ.

I think Verrett is the better player in the NFL. I want a guy who can play off the LOS, and is versatile enough to cover both the slot and outside. I don't trust Dennard in off coverage.

That being said, if Verrett was off the board and Dennard was still there at #30, would you take him or go for another CB?
That being said, if Verrett was off the board and Dennard was still there at #30, would you take him or go for another CB?

If you are to believe the first post of the thread he would take Fuller, then Gilbert, then Gaines, and only if all 4 of them were off the board he'd take Dennard.

15 Kyle Fuller Virginia Tech CB
16 Justin Gilbert Oklahoma State CB
20 Jason Verrett TCU CB
31 Phillip Gaines Rice CB
43 Darqueze Dennard Michigan St CB
Originally posted by Scoots:
If you are to believe the first post of the thread he would take Fuller, then Gilbert, then Gaines, and only if all 4 of them were off the board he'd take Dennard.

15 Kyle Fuller Virginia Tech CB
16 Justin Gilbert Oklahoma State CB
20 Jason Verrett TCU CB
31 Phillip Gaines Rice CB
43 Darqueze Dennard Michigan St CB

True. The problem is my board has too many players between Verrett and Gaines, and the team needs to be careful to not be desperate and overvalue a player due to team need
Just noticing that Mayock also has elevated Fuller as his number one corner earlier today.
Share 49ersWebzone