LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 149 users in the forums

A four-day draft???

• xcfan
  • Veteran
roger needs to chill.
what we really need is our bygone, 2-day draft.
he's ruined most people's draft party extravaganzas with this 3-day draft, now he wants to extend it? please stop.
we want two days: day 1 - rd 1 through rd 3. day 2 - rd 4 through rd 7. look familiar? it was great. fix this, nfl.
Where have all these draft parties been? The most passionate football fans I know all tune out the draft completely. They don't see the point of it. The common thing they'll just see which players their teams got the next day.

So I've watched the draft by myself every year of my life since I started following it in '98. At least there have been plenty of draft junkies on the internet.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Or... you can expand the first round by two days. First 16 and then the next day the 2nd 16. That's two days. Or day one - first round and day two 2nd round. Day three would be 3rd round. Day four would be 4 to 7th rounds. If anything the NFL is a money making event and I'm betting they will somehow do it if the ratings are good enough.

Not for or against it, just wondering how they will do it.
[ Edited by Giedi on Apr 25, 2014 at 1:11 PM ]
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
sorry, but i miss the geek-a-thon nine hour draft saturdays and sundays.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Where have all these draft parties been? The most passionate football fans I know all tune out the draft completely. They don't see the point of it. The common thing they'll just see which players their teams got the next day.

So I've watched the draft by myself every year of my life since I started following it in '98. At least there have been plenty of draft junkies on the internet.

Yah I never heard of people having draft parties. Lol frankly the concept sounds pretty dumb.
Never heard of anyone having a "draft party". But if stretching it to 4 days, will allow Baalke more time to make moves to help us win, than I'm fine with. Giving an evening break between certain rounds could help us get to a targeted position where we can grab someone we want. Look at the trade up to get Kaep, but Baalke had called everyone that night that picked ahead of us to see what it would take to move up to that spot. And he got the guy he wanted. If the 1st-2nd were together again, who's to say we still get Kaep or not get fleeced in that trade.

Plus there's nothing to watch during the summer anyways, why not 4 days of talking about prospects and steals and reaches, instead of the 3 now.

On a side note, with so many prospects and quality UDFA nowadays, they need to extend the draft rounds to 10. They moved from 12 rounds to 8 in 1993, and than to 7 in 1994. 10 UDFAs ended up being Pro Bowlers from that draft. And many more since. Time to add more rounds.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Or... you can expand the first round by two days. First 16 and then the next day the 2nd 16. That's two days. Or day one - first round and day two 2nd round. Day three would be 3rd round. Day four would be 4 to 7th rounds. If anything the NFL is a money making event and I'm betting they will somehow do it if the ratings are good enough.

That would be f**king STUPID!
Frankly I like this idea much better than pushing the draft back to May. If they want better ratings they should break it up more. Day 3 of the draft covers 4 rounds, feels ridiculously long, and is always a depressing feeling when it winds down. At least this way there can be another break which allows time to trade, speculate, and one more day to be excited for the draft. It's hard to really process any more than 2 rounds in a day to really see everyone whose falling and best values. Plus it makes sense given that there's nothing else on Sunday. They could do rounds 6-7 and try to better publicize the UDFA signings during that coverage.
[ Edited by 49oz2superbowl on Apr 26, 2014 at 7:55 AM ]
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Originally posted by Giedi:

That would be f**king STUPID!

Pretty dumb idea
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
Frankly II like this idea much better than pushing the draft back to May. If they want better ratings they should break it up more. Day 3 of the draft covers 4 rounds, feels ridiculously long, and is always a depressing feeling when it winds down. At least this way there can be another break which allows time to trade, speculate, and one more day to be excited for the draft. It's hard to really process any more than 2 rounds in a day to really see everyone whose falling and best values. Plus it makes sense given that there's nothing else on Sunday. They could do rounds 6-7 and try to better publicize the UDFA signings during that coverage.

I agree. Sorry but I got things to do and life to enjoy than to sit around for 22 hours for one day of draft coverage. Spread it out

Originally posted by xcfan:
roger needs to chill.
what we really need is our bygone, 2-day draft.
he's ruined most people's draft party extravaganzas with this 3-day draft, now he wants to extend it? please stop.
we want two days: day 1 - rd 1 through rd 3. day 2 - rd 4 through rd 7. look familiar? it was great. fix this, nfl.

This. If it isn't broke don't fix it.
They don't care about your draft parties..it's all about adding all the advertising revenue they would gain by adding a forth installment . That's the sole reason they spread it to three, and they think they can squeeze a little more
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ivanm05:
They don't care about your draft parties..it's all about adding all the advertising revenue they would gain by adding a forth installment . That's the sole reason they spread it to three, and they think they can squeeze a little more

This. NFL just trying to get mo money. That's the reason why the NFL does anything.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ivanm05:

nobody advertises on the nfl network. it'll be four days of the same five stupid commercials.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
Frankly II like this idea much better than pushing the draft back to May. If they want better ratings they should break it up more. Day 3 of the draft covers 4 rounds, feels ridiculously long, and is always a depressing feeling when it winds down. At least this way there can be another break which allows time to trade, speculate, and one more day to be excited for the draft. It's hard to really process any more than 2 rounds in a day to really see everyone whose falling and best values. Plus it makes sense given that there's nothing else on Sunday. They could do rounds 6-7 and try to better publicize the UDFA signings during that coverage.
That would be my reason **for it** would be to allow the opportunity for more draft day trades. Again I'm not for or against the idea. However it does present some interesting NFL maneuvers that would be entertaining. I can almost see a national poker game kind of coverage going along with the 4 day event. <shrug>
Share 49ersWebzone