LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

What player in the 2014 draft is most like Percy Harvin, Desean Jackson or Tavon Austin?

Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by KaeperVICK_7:
The question is how do you classify Dri Archer apart from his special teams impressive kick return ability ? Didn't be play both RB and WR for Kent State ? So, do you grade/judge him as a RB or WR ? If you look at his clips, he can probably do both actually.

I would classify Dri Archer as a change of pace specialty RB. I classify him as that because you can place him almost anywhere on the field and he would be special and make the running game fast paced with his speed, quickness and elusiveness from that of Frank Gore and Marcus Lattimore's bust through the hole grind you up style of running. The way I can see it is having him in different spots on the field periodically to give defenses different looks. I can see having him in the backfield with the Read-Option, in two back sets, in the slot catching short passes for long gains, having him in motion across the back of the O-Line receiving hand-offs from Colin Kaepernick, on reverses, sweeps, screen plays and on fakes of them all. With his speed, quickness and elusiveness added to the Niners beastly O-Line he would threaten the second level of any defense on almost every play and give defenses nightmares in the game and in preparation for the game. Not to mention the fact that his presence alone would open up the passing game. However he wouldn't be the only answer for the Niners passing game that still has a need for a deep threat and Red-Zone target. Add a deep threat like WR's Marqise Lee and Donte Moncrief and a Red-Zone target like WR's Mike Evans and Brandon Coleman and we would be nearly unstoppable on offense.

I can't agree more. The only thing I would say is I would like to add Lache Seastrunk to pair up with Lattimore as the dynamic backfield going into the future. Other than that, my choice of deep threat WR would be Martavis Bryant. I don't think you need to be small to be fast, Bryant is both fast and big. As for additional red zone targets, Mike Evans will be too costly in my opinion, Brandon Coleman could be a bargain and should worth a slight gamble who can be had in the lower rounds.
I agree. Or maybe even another grind you up RB like Carlos Hyde or Terrance West. With that said, the only reason I would hesitate on getting 6'3 3/4" WR Martavis Bryant as a deep threat is the fact that he's not a good route runner, has inconsistent hands and is prone to making wide open drops. Besides WR Donte Moncrief is faster, is a better route runner though not that much better, has more consistent hands and at 6'2 3/8" is almost as big as WR Martavis Bryant

I have been having a rethink on my WR picks. Given Kap's lack of progression reads and accuracy at times, we might want to consider a guy who really can get separation, I have gone through the film again, I believe that person could well be Paul Richardson. One, he is fast, two he is not exactly that small at 6' although somewhat light, but three his run after the catch is something else. What's your view on the guy ?
I'm sorry to say this but Paul Richardson reminds me of A.J. Jenkins in the fact that he has all that speed in the world but plays very poor against press coverage. I mean don't get me wrong I believe if he ever got off the press coverage into the open field he would good but he lacks the strength and elusiveness to get past press coverage so that's a big if. Also he gets man handled by CB's for 50-50 balls more times than not because of his soft style of play, lack of strength and thin frame. I'm sorry to say it but it looks to me like he may be a bust.
The question is how do you classify Dri Archer apart from his special teams impressive kick return ability ? Didn't be play both RB and WR for Kent State ? So, do you grade/judge him as a RB or WR ? If you look at his clips, he can probably do both actually.

I would classify Dri Archer as a change of pace specialty RB. I classify him as that because you can place him almost anywhere on the field and he would be special and make the running game fast paced with his speed, quickness and elusiveness from that of Frank Gore and Marcus Lattimore's bust through the hole grind you up style of running. The way I can see it is having him in different spots on the field periodically to give defenses different looks. I can see having him in the backfield with the Read-Option, in two back sets, in the slot catching short passes for long gains, having him in motion across the back of the O-Line receiving hand-offs from Colin Kaepernick, on reverses, sweeps, screen plays and on fakes of them all. With his speed, quickness and elusiveness added to the Niners beastly O-Line he would threaten the second level of any defense on almost every play and give defenses nightmares in the game and in preparation for the game. Not to mention the fact that his presence alone would open up the passing game. However he wouldn't be the only answer for the Niners passing game that still has a need for a deep threat and Red-Zone target. Add a deep threat like WR's Marqise Lee and Donte Moncrief and a Red-Zone target like WR's Mike Evans and Brandon Coleman and we would be nearly unstoppable on offense.

I can't agree more. The only thing I would say is I would like to add Lache Seastrunk to pair up with Lattimore as the dynamic backfield going into the future. Other than that, my choice of deep threat WR would be Martavis Bryant. I don't think you need to be small to be fast, Bryant is both fast and big. As for additional red zone targets, Mike Evans will be too costly in my opinion, Brandon Coleman could be a bargain and should worth a slight gamble who can be had in the lower rounds.
I agree. Or maybe even another grind you up RB like Carlos Hyde or Terrance West. With that said, the only reason I would hesitate on getting 6'3 3/4" WR Martavis Bryant as a deep threat is the fact that he's not a good route runner, has inconsistent hands and is prone to making wide open drops. Besides WR Donte Moncrief is faster, is a better route runner though not that much better, has more consistent hands and at 6'2 3/8" is almost as big as WR Martavis Bryant

I have been having a rethink on my WR picks. Given Kap's lack of progression reads and accuracy at times, we might want to consider a guy who really can get separation, I have gone through the film again, I believe that person could well be Paul Richardson. One, he is fast, two he is not exactly that small at 6' although somewhat light, but three his run after the catch is something else. What's your view on the guy ?
I'm sorry to say this but Paul Richardson reminds me of A.J. Jenkins in the fact that he has all that speed in the world but plays very poor against press coverage. I mean don't get me wrong I believe if he ever got off the press coverage into the open field he would good but he lacks the strength and elusiveness to get past press coverage so that's a big if. Also he gets man handled by CB's for 50-50 balls more times than not because of his soft style of play, lack of strength and thin frame. I'm sorry to say it but it looks to me like he may be a bust.

Couldn't disagree more. I've seen him make every catch you want to see from a receiver. One-handed grabs while being mugged, 50-50 balls in the end zone while having a defender draped on him, focus catches on tipped balls with a defender all over him in the middle of the field, as well as the quickness to beat press -- most evident in study of his game vs Oregon where press-man, off-man, and zone all were unsuccessful in containing Richardson who put up 134 yards on 5 catches against their Top 10 ranked defense in terms of defensive pass efficiency.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 24, 2014 at 7:47 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Couldn't disagree more. I've seen him make every catch you want to see from a receiver. One-handed grabs while being mugged, 50-50 balls in the end zone while having a defender draped on him, focus catches on tipped balls with a defender all over him in the middle of the field, as well as the quickness to beat press -- most evident in study of his game vs Oregon where press-man, off-man, and zone all were unsuccessful in containing Richardson who put up 134 yards on 5 catches against their Top 10 ranked defense in terms of defensive pass efficiency.

AJ isn't tough. Just doesn't have the right temperament out there. If Richardson does, then he's exactly the kind of wr we need imo.

I like Lee in the first but wouldn't want to trade up much to get him. Richardson in the second allows us to go cb first, or maybe even a pass rusher like Ford if we're concerned about Aldons availability.

I saw that game against Oregon and he played good but you have to know that Oregon's pass defense is only Top 10 because of their pass rushers not at all their corners. The fact that you brought up a game when he played against weak corners shows you haven't truly studied enough tape. How about look at games like the games when he played against Utah and Arizona State. Both Utah and Arizona State have press corners who shut him down. Against Utah he had 4 catches for 54 yards and against Arizona State he had 4 catches for 49 yards. By the way, in both games three of those catches and most of his yardage came against reserve players at the end of the games when the games were already decided. Like I said before, I hate to say this but he looks like A.J. Jenkins. I mean he may be good but not in our division against the likes of the Arizona Cardinals and the Seattle Seahawks corners. Not at all!
[ Edited by KaeperVICK_7 on Apr 25, 2014 at 3:36 AM ]
I saw that game against Oregon and he played good but you have to know that Oregon's pass defense is only Top 10 because of their pass rushers not at all their corners. The fact that you brought up a game when he played against weak corners shows you haven't truly studied enough tape. How about look at games like the games when he played against Utah and Arizona State. Both Utah and Arizona State have press corners who shut him down. Against Utah he had 4 catches for 54 yards and against Arizona State he had 4 catches for 49 yards. By the way, in both games three of those catches and most of his yardage came against reserve players at the end of the games when the games were already decided. Like I said before, I hate to say this but he looks like A.J. Jenkins. I mean he may be good but not in our division against the likes of the Arizona Cardinals and the Seattle Seahawks corners. Not at all!

OTC watches more tape than anyone here, dude, and he has for a while. His record on drafts has been impressive for years. Know your role, jabronii.

Form a football and scheme standpoint, Richardson would not be asked to line up frequently on the outside like he was in Colo. he would line up off the line in the slot and frequently motion into his release to limit press opportunities. Given extra space, his quickness and acceleration give him a good chance.

I saw that game against Oregon and he played good but you have to know that Oregon's pass defense is only Top 10 because of their pass rushers not at all their corners. The fact that you brought up a game when he played against weak corners shows you haven't truly studied enough tape on WR Paul Richardson. How about look at games like the games when he played against Utah and Arizona State. Both Utah and Arizona State have press corners who shut him down. Against Utah he had 4 catches for 54 yards and against Arizona State he had 4 catches for 49 yards. By the way, in both games three of those catches and most of his yardage came against reserve players at the end of the games when the games were already decided. Like I said before, I hate to say this but he looks like A.J. Jenkins. I mean he may be good but not in our division against the likes of the Arizona Cardinals and the Seattle Seahawks corners. Not at all!
[ Edited by KaeperVICK_7 on Apr 25, 2014 at 10:31 AM ]
Brandin Cooks is like Percy Harvin with his size strength and athleticism but lacks Harvin's elusiveness and return ability. Dri Archer seems like a faster and more athletic Tavon Austin with his size speed and quick bursts. De'Anthony Thomas is the closest to Desean Jackson as a returner but not close as a receiver. So when I compare all that together the 1 player I hope we get is Dri Archer. But Brandin Cooks and De'Anthony Thomas would be great too.

Which out of these 3 would you pick?
[ Edited by KaeperVICK_7 on Apr 25, 2014 at 12:43 PM ]
Brandin Cooks is like Percy Harvin with his size strength and athleticism but lacks Harvin's elusiveness and return ability. Dri Archer seems like a faster and more athletic Tavon Austin with his size speed and quick bursts. De'Anthony Thomas is the closest to Desean Jackson as a returner but not close as a receiver. So when I compare all that together the 1 player I hope we get is Dri Archer. But Brandin Cooks and De'Anthony Thomas would be great too.

Which out of these 3 would you pick?

Bruce Ellington
Share 49ersWebzone