There are 289 users in the forums

Which strategy will Baalke use on draft weekend?

Which strategy will Baalke use on draft weekend?

I suspect we will trade all of our draft picks to move up to #2 / #3 to draft Ricky Williams. He will be a game-changer for the franchise, and Harbaugh seems to be obsessed with him.
Originally posted by Kelv:
Honestly not sure that any of the corner's play actually warrants moving up, I would move up for Evans tho. He looks like he could be an outstanding player who would fit well with Kap. He's used to improvising and would be a real out ball for Kap. Personally I'd cheerfully move up for him using one of or 2nds and our first plus whatever additional lower 3rd/4th picks it takes.

I completely agree. Evans is the only player I think they should trade up for. There are just too many good players at WR, DB, and DL that will be available at 30-the middle of the 2nd round
Originally posted by LZRD_WZRD:
I completely agree. Evans is the only player I think they should trade up for. There are just too many good players at WR, DB, and DL that will be available at 30-the middle of the 2nd round

Trade away draft picks to get two Baldwins on the field. The Hawks defense would crap their pants.
Originally posted by Kelv:
Honestly not sure that any of the corner's play actually warrants moving up, I would move up for Evans tho. He looks like he could be an outstanding player who would fit well with Kap. He's used to improvising and would be a real out ball for Kap. Personally I'd cheerfully move up for him using one of or 2nds and our first plus whatever additional lower 3rd/4th picks it takes.

If Evans falls to 10, I could see us trying to trade for him, but it would take at least 30, 56, and 77. I think Buffalo will probably take him at 9. It's absurd that some mocks have Ebron going to the Bills with Evans still on the board. Evans is taller with way more length (35 1/8" to 33 1/4") and better athleticism (4.53 to 4.60 40, 37.5" to 32.0" vertical) and hands.
I'm curious if Baalke would trade the two 2nds and the 5th with someone like the Pats and get back to back picks in the 1st?
Originally posted by 49ers808:
My guess is we trade down for a high second round pick and a mid round pick in 2015 with a team that passes on a QB with their first pick but wants one in the late first, like maybe the Raiders who select Carr. Then we absolutely rape rounds two and three

I like this scenerio since the 2 and 3 rounds are so talented.
Originally posted by E-49er:
I'm curious if Baalke would trade the two 2nds and the 5th with someone like the Pats and get back to back picks in the 1st?

That is a bad move
CB DARQUEZE DENNARD
MICHIGAN STATE

WR ODELL BECKHAM JR.
LSU

S LAMARCUS JOYNER
FLORIDA STATE

CB JAYLEN WATKINS
FLORIDA

WR JARVIS LANDRY
LSU

QB A.J. MCCARRON
ALABAMA

ILB YAWIN SMALLWOOD
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
They will trade up about 10 picks in the Eric Reid area. To get to top 10 we just have to give up a huge # of picks and I don't think it's a good idea. We have to replace Iupati and Crab. Both of whom we will very likely lose in FA. Plus we need a CB or 2 big time. We need Safety depth. We need new D Line guys. Ours are really getting old now. We actually have a lot of needs. I'm starting to think trading all the way up to 10 and giving up all those picks would probably be bad for this team.

Well put. One trade up for a draft crush should be enough. The front office needs to think long term and take advantage of all these picks to build quality depth.
  • Kelv
  • Veteran
With such a supposedly deep draft does it take less to trade up as teams will get better players further down the draft? If I was a GM I'd certainly take a bit less knowing that I'm getting more quality in the 2nd to 4th rounds.

Last year nearly all had Vaccaro #1 safety. Cyprien/Elam/Reid were considered about the same. Baalke who wanted Reid, pounced on the pick only after the clear #1 went (Vaccarro). Obviously he didn't rate Elam/Cyprien equal to Reid or he could have just waited at our pick and not traded up.

Most have Justin Gilbert #1, but not unanonymous. But between Gilbert,Dennard/Fuller/Verrett/Roby they are very roughly the same (meaning no unanonymous consensus). But who does Baalke LOVE? The jump up like Reid could happen. Lot of interest in CB from teams picking starting #22 (not including #10 Detroit with large need)

I feel strongly that we will not pick a WR round #1. Why? Having a failed #1 round WR again, so close to AJ, is something they will think about strongly to prevent.

I could also see trading down for a high #2 round pick and picking a WR first in that scenario. But they would be picking a #2 rounder and not a 1.
double post
[ Edited by OldJoe on Apr 10, 2014 at 2:10 PM ]
with kapernick going paul crewe, balke trades up and takes blake bortles
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Last year nearly all had Vaccaro #1 safety. Cyprien/Elam/Reid were considered about the same. Baalke who wanted Reid, pounced on the pick only after the clear #1 went (Vaccarro). Obviously he didn't rate Elam/Cyprien equal to Reid or he could have just waited at our pick and not traded up.

Most have Justin Gilbert #1, but not unanonymous. But between Gilbert,Dennard/Fuller/Verrett/Roby they are very roughly the same (meaning no unanonymous consensus). But who does Baalke LOVE? The jump up like Reid could happen. Lot of interest in CB from teams picking starting #22 (not including #10 Detroit with large need)

I feel strongly that we will not pick a WR round #1. Why? Having a failed #1 round WR again, so close to AJ, is something they will think about strongly to prevent.

I could also see trading down for a high #2 round pick and picking a WR first in that scenario. But they would be picking a #2 rounder and not a 1.

i like varrett. hes shorter but hes physical, has great closing speed and excellent technique and we will need a guy like him with all the fast slot WRs in our division. dennard would be sick too. i really dont think we can f**k this up and we have been excellent at picking and developing DBs lately so if we go corner he will be a good one. WR worries me but i hope we skip the developmental b******t and take someone whos ready to play now. im talking about you AJ Jenkins, you douchebag
Originally posted by hofer36:
with kapernick going paul crewe, balke trades up and takes blake bortles

I think sometime on the second day we should draft a QB.... Just for insurance purpose in case something comes of this Kap story... Also if nothing happens then we do need a good back up QB.... I don't like hanging my hat on Gabbert if something should happen to Kap in the future.( injury, legal matter, etc..)
[ Edited by TexasGuero49 on Apr 11, 2014 at 4:59 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone