LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

Which strategy will Baalke use on draft weekend?

Which strategy will Baalke use on draft weekend?

My guess is the Niners go with option #2 and trade up into the late teens to get their draft crush which I think would be either Mike Evans or Darqueze Dennard. If at scenario doesn't materialize, hen the Niners will go CB at # 30 and take Verrett or Fuller. Your thoughts..........
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Apr 2, 2014 at 10:23 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
If someone is there in the early to mid twenties, I see Baalke making a move. Otherwise, I see us staying put.
My guess is we trade down for a high second round pick and a mid round pick in 2015 with a team that passes on a QB with their first pick but wants one in the late first, like maybe the Raiders who select Carr. Then we absolutely rape rounds two and three
This is the biggest mystery of all to me in this draft. Great, deep draft class, I could see Baalke staying put and making all 6 picks in the top 100. I could see a Reid like trade up and I won't completely rule out a blockbuster either.

I hope and pray we end up with one of these 3 guys in the first round: Dennard, Gilbert or Evans, then depending on who we pick, I'm hoping we can get somebody like Cooks, Verrett or Fuller with our next pick then just go BPA.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
My guess is we trade down for a high second round pick and a mid round pick in 2015 with a team that passes on a QB with their first pick but wants one in the late first, like maybe the Raiders who select Carr. Then we absolutely rape rounds two and three

To heck with that. If we trade down we are picking up at least a 3rd rounder if it's 3-4 spots and a 2nd rounder if it's 5-8/ We moved back 6 spots last year in the 2nd rd and got a 3rd. This would be trading from the 1st rd and we should get more. With any luck multiple teams will be trying to get our pick if we choose to trade down.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I could see one of the teams who passed on a QB, trying to move back in the end of the first round to nab one of the other QB's.
I keep thinking about a scenario where the Niners move up for Dennard,, and then move up again for Verrett. That would be an incredible infusion of young talent into the secondary.

Of course it'll never happen.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Butter:
I keep thinking about a scenario where the Niners move up for Dennard,, and then move up again for Verrett. That would be an incredible infusion of young talent into the secondary.

Of course it'll never happen.

That would be incredible. We be kind of like when we drafted Davis then Iupati a couple of picks later. You never know, though.
Baalke will maneuver his way through this draft and kill it...how he does it, I don't care.
They will trade up about 10 picks in the Eric Reid area. To get to top 10 we just have to give up a huge # of picks and I don't think it's a good idea. We have to replace Iupati and Crab. Both of whom we will very likely lose in FA. Plus we need a CB or 2 big time. We need Safety depth. We need new D Line guys. Ours are really getting old now. We actually have a lot of needs. I'm starting to think trading all the way up to 10 and giving up all those picks would probably be bad for this team.

What ever it is - it will surprise most of us and all of the pundits.
I think he'll package pick #94 with #30 and move up 5-7 spots for his draft crush CB or WR . . . hopefully Fuller or Beckham.
I give trade up 10 spots a 50% chance, stand pat or trade into 2nd about 20% chance each and blockbuster a 10% chance.

Therefore, none of those will happen.
I think he could go as far up as #15 - Pittsburgh however:

Cowboys at #16 could be our partner again this year like last year in the Eric Reed draft. They also have Clairborn who might?? be a CB worth trading for.

Miami at # 19 is a strong possibility

and the Packers at #21 is feasible.
  • Kelv
  • Veteran
Honestly not sure that any of the corner's play actually warrants moving up, I would move up for Evans tho. He looks like he could be an outstanding player who would fit well with Kap. He's used to improvising and would be a real out ball for Kap. Personally I'd cheerfully move up for him using one of or 2nds and our first plus whatever additional lower 3rd/4th picks it takes.
Share 49ersWebzone