LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 308 users in the forums

Whad'ya want 'em to do?

Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
I say after reading the title I did not think you would use "whom" like an English ninja.

English ninja! I like that. For some reason it sounds nicer than grammar Nazi.
Originally posted by Wisconsin49erfan:
Target the players you want, and trade and manipulate the board to get them. Trade up, trade down, whatever you want. Just get the players you want. As long as they have a plan to draft some WR's and CB's, we will be ok.

I want them to draft a speed WR as priority #1. This would compliment Kap's strengths.

This offense has been missing an outside deep threat. I think Brandin Cooks is gonna light up some DBs.
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
Hey Coach Ditka time for you to take a big puff of your cigar and relax a tad bit. in a draft this deep you want to fleece the farm for one player.

I'm thinking pick 9 or 10 would be reasonable without giving up too much. 6 picks within the top 100 is nice but you don't make all those picks and expect everyone to break camp. You really like someone, move up and get him
It always depends on who is on the board with each pick. Players with value sometimes slip much further than expected due to other teams' needs (see the note on the run of DE's which pushed David DeCastro down the board two years ago).

If the team sees a player they grade high and at a position of need slide a bit, they have to determine how much they are willing to give up to make the move forward.

It is pretty obvious that CB and WR are huge needs, so, for me, I am stacking my CB board: Gilbert, Dennard, Varrett, Fuller, and watch how they begin to fall.

At the same time, I am also stacking my WR board: Watkins, Evans, Beckham, Cooks and watch how they fall. Since I grade the four WRs all high than any CB in this draft, to me, I am willing to jump up higher for a WR than a CB.

The team is somewhat in a quandary: The window to win is now with an aging team. However, when you value solely for need to plug immediate holes, sometimes you bypass better players on the board, which is a dangerous place to be. You end up passing on players like Eddie Lacy.

Based on where I think players will fall in the draft (Gilbert, Dennard, Fuller, Watkins, Evans, Beckham, Cooks all off the board), I think the pick comes down to Marqise Lee and Jason Varrett for the team. I have Carlos Hyde graded higher than both players, and he would be my pick at that spot.
This draft is so deep that I think there is a TON of value in the second round. Interesting idea to stack up a bunch of second rounders. You have quality guys like Tuitt, Jordan Matthews, Kyle Fuller, Kelvin Benjamin, just to name a few to pick who are on the cusp of being first rounders who fall. Wouldn't be that difficult to obtain 3 HIGH picks in round 2 by trading back and up.
Draft someone 6'2" 192 lbs. smooth as silk, shuts off half the field. Someone like........................Mike Haynes.

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
It always depends on who is on the board with each pick. Players with value sometimes slip much further than expected due to other teams' needs (see the note on the run of DE's which pushed David DeCastro down the board two years ago).

If the team sees a player they grade high and at a position of need slide a bit, they have to determine how much they are willing to give up to make the move forward.

It is pretty obvious that CB and WR are huge needs, so, for me, I am stacking my CB board: Gilbert, Dennard, Varrett, Fuller, and watch how they begin to fall.

At the same time, I am also stacking my WR board: Watkins, Evans, Beckham, Cooks and watch how they fall. Since I grade the four WRs all high than any CB in this draft, to me, I am willing to jump up higher for a WR than a CB.

The team is somewhat in a quandary: The window to win is now with an aging team. However, when you value solely for need to plug immediate holes, sometimes you bypass better players on the board, which is a dangerous place to be. You end up passing on players like Eddie Lacy.

Based on where I think players will fall in the draft (Gilbert, Dennard, Fuller, Watkins, Evans, Beckham, Cooks all off the board), I think the pick comes down to Marqise Lee and Jason Varrett for the team. I have Carlos Hyde graded higher than both players, and he would be my pick at that spot.

It would actually be pretty sweet if, at 30, we could choose between Lee and Verrett. Like many have said before, there are only a couple of guys you'd trade up and flush 2 second round picks for. Guys are gonna drop to us...some good ones. Interesting comment about Hyde. I, too, would feel more secure about the team with a big stud runner like Hyde. Maybe Lattimore is that guy, but we just won't know for a while yet.
Originally posted by Murphys1:
It would actually be pretty sweet if, at 30, we could choose between Lee and Verrett. Like many have said before, there are only a couple of guys you'd trade up and flush 2 second round picks for. Guys are gonna drop to us...some good ones. Interesting comment about Hyde. I, too, would feel more secure about the team with a big stud runner like Hyde. Maybe Lattimore is that guy, but we just won't know for a while yet.

I would not "flush" two second round picks, with the first, to move up in any draft unless I needed a QB and there was absolutely no other talent on the board!
Originally posted by genus49:
Trade up for Dennard

This is the most likely scenario. If Deannard makes it to the -teens, I can see them offering one of their early 3rd to move up. If Culliver is cut, Dennard is a starter day one.
I feel pretty good about sitting where they are and going WR, CB, WR, S with the first 4 picks. With that strategy you could end up with 4 future starters at positions we have, or will have, needs. Ideally you'd be looking at something like:

WR - Benjamin/Beckham/Lee
CB - Jean-Baptiste/Roberson/Watkins
WR - Moncrief/Landry/Bryant
S - Dixon/Bailey/Bucannon/Loston

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I feel pretty good about sitting where they are and going WR, CB, WR, S with the first 4 picks. With that strategy you could end up with 4 future starters at positions we have, or will have, needs. Ideally you'd be looking at something like:

Nice list.
I'd like to see them offer both 2s and end up with 2 first rd picks. The 5th year option is gold and would be worth it in the long term value of the team. I definitely want to go up for a cb and could see Dallas, Pitt, Baltimore as options. Those team (especially first 2) have number roster holes and no cap space.

Trade 30 and 77 for 15 from Pitt and grab Gilbert/Dennard.
Trade 56 and 61 for 24 (kc's pick I believe) and grab a top WR like cooks or lee if available
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

Nice list.

Thanks!

I would be happiest with a Benjamin, Jean-Baptiste, Moncrief, Bucannon combination I think. I'd be excited about any combination of those guys, but I think those 4 in particular would give us 4 big, dynamic player makers on offence and defence. To me, those are the kind of guys you want to stock your team with.

And my thinking is that giving yourself more chances to hit on something can often be better than investing a lot in one guy. So why not draft multiple WRs and CBs since we know we need them?

Would love to follow those picks up with some other guys in the later rounds like Purifoy, Ellington, Archer, or Trey Burton.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Yea I think both guys will be right there for them at 30
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Originally posted by genus49:
Trade up for Dennard

This is the most likely scenario. If Deannard makes it to the -teens, I can see them offering one of their early 3rd to move up. If Culliver is cut, Dennard is a starter day one.
He's a day one starter if Culliver isn't cut
Share 49ersWebzone