LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

Mock draft with 3 low first round draft picks, seven picks total and not mortgaging future

I think I have created an ideal draft for 2014. Please keep in mind that with the new rookie wage scale, first rounders are signed to a four year contract and teams have the ability to pick up an option for year 5. I think this should be considered a premium, and I would give up multple picks to pick in the end of round 1.

I used the Kolohe draft points calculator, when I was done this is what I was left with.

Picks for niners in 2014

So THREE first round draft picks that can be under contract for 5 years!!!

This is what I what do with the three,

Pick 29, Verett CB TCU- Niners trade picks 56,94,129 and 140
Pick 30 Cooks WR - Oregon State- Niners own pick
Pick 31 Kelvin Benjamin WR Florida- Picks 61 and 77.
pick 100- Aaron Murray QB Georgia- Let him be on IR for one year with Gabbert as back up, his contract will then be good for 4 more years, aka Lattimore.
Pick 242- Pick BPA
Pick 243-BPA
Pick 245-BPA

This draft accepts the future that Boldin has only a few seasons left, and Crabtree might be let go as a FA since he will command huge money.

I think this is a good draft. The team is deep at most positions, this addresses the need for firepower on offense and the opening at CB.
Why???

You have 11 picks in the deepest draft in about 15 years and you want to trade half of it for an undersized corner, an undersized WR who may not have the strength to be consistent in the NFL and a boom or bust prospect at the same position.

Not really understanding the logic here. Especially when there will be needs at CB, WR, OL, QB, RB, TE and on the DL. No way I am turning 6 of the top 100 and 11 overall into 3 first rounders (who may not even start right away) and 3 7th rounders with a comp pick sandwiched in.
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Why???

You have 11 picks in the deepest draft in about 15 years and you want to trade half of it for an undersized corner, an undersized WR who may not have the strength to be consistent in the NFL and a boom or bust prospect at the same position.

Not really understanding the logic here. Especially when there will be needs at CB, WR, OL, QB, RB, TE and on the DL. No way I am turning 6 of the top 100 and 11 overall into 3 first rounders (who may not even start right away) and 3 7th rounders with a comp pick sandwiched in.

It actually would be so bad to get 3 ,1st rounders. We could draft atop CB, WR and DL.

We could take pick 100 and trade back into the 4th round twice about 7-8 spots each time picking up a 5th rounder and ending up about #115 mid 4th round.
We could then draft another CB and maybe a 2nd WR and safety or OL. Whatever happens I know Baalke will be weeling and dealing.
1. this should probably be in the Draft forum...

2. We are so deep with our roster that we proably have 47, 48 maybe 49 slots of the 53 already locked up. With 11 picks, only 3 or 4 might make the gameday roster. The rest can be taken from our practice squad by Seattle or another team. I am all for trading around so we can acquire the right guys for this year and acquire more picks for next years draft. I hate seeing our picks getting picked up by Seattle.

3. I like Verett and Cooks. I feel nervous about Benjamin. With Murray, I would feel better if Harbaugh has played a game of catch with him. Can you confirm that he has done so...
why stop at 3? the jets had 4 first rounders in 2000
Originally posted by 9erred:
I think I have created an ideal draft for 2014. Please keep in mind that with the new rookie wage scale, first rounders are signed to a four year contract and teams have the ability to pick up an option for year 5. I think this should be considered a premium, and I would give up multple picks to pick in the end of round 1.

I used the Kolohe draft points calculator, when I was done this is what I was left with.

Picks for niners in 2014

So THREE first round draft picks that can be under contract for 5 years!!!

This is what I what do with the three,

Pick 29, Verett CB TCU- Niners trade picks 56,94,129 and 140
Pick 30 Cooks WR - Oregon State- Niners own pick
Pick 31 Jordan Matthews WR
pick 100- Marcus Martin C
Pick 242- Pick BPA
Pick 243-BPA
Pick 245-BPA

This draft accepts the future that Boldin has only a few seasons left, and Crabtree might be let go as a FA since he will command huge money.

I think this is a good draft. The team is deep at most positions, this addresses the need for firepower on offense and the opening at CB.

Fixed
Originally posted by crabman82:

Haha and have been a powerhouse ever since.
Originally posted by AUniner:
Originally posted by crabman82:

Haha and have been a powerhouse ever since.

they actually did decent on the picks. pennington was good for them for a while, shaun ellis and john abraham were very good players for them. the only 1 they bombed on was te anthony becht who was nothing more than a blocker.
I don't like it...here's why. While you got Verrett, Cooks and Benjamin, you didn't get another top-flight CB. No S, no ILB, no DL. This is a deep draft...especially for CB's and WR's, the things we need the most. No sense in trading away all those picks, especially not in the 1st rd. To the contrary, I'd hope Baalke trades out of the #30 spot for another 2nd rounder. In both rds 2 and 3 he could trade up, if necessary to get the players he and Harbaugh want at a substantially lower cost.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I don't like it...here's why. While you got Verrett, Cooks and Benjamin, you didn't get another top-flight CB. No S, no ILB, no DL. This is a deep draft...especially for CB's and WR's, the things we need the most. No sense in trading away all those picks, especially not in the 1st rd. To the contrary, I'd hope Baalke trades out of the #30 spot for another 2nd rounder. In both rds 2 and 3 he could trade up, if necessary to get the players he and Harbaugh want at a substantially lower cost.

this. we basically traded up to get a 4th WR and a slot CB with 2 of those first round picks. This is a deep draft and I want to not only get players at CB and WR to contribute now but some guys for the future.

Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
It actually would be so bad to get 3 ,1st rounders. We could draft atop CB, WR and DL.

We could take pick 100 and trade back into the 4th round twice about 7-8 spots each time picking up a 5th rounder and ending up about #115 mid 4th round.
We could then draft another CB and maybe a 2nd WR and safety or OL. Whatever happens I know Baalke will be weeling and dealing.
except pick 100 can not be traded
maybe two first rounders...not 3. I like verrett and cooks but i would like those 2 extra picks used on that third first round to pick up stanley jean baptiste and a pass rusher
If a top 10 pick falls to the 15-20 range shouldn't the Niners take a shot? If there is a run on quarterbacks early, Gilbert and maybe even Evans could be in that range. Benjamin appears to be more of a project. If we draft Cooks does that mean we've given up on Patton?
Yuck!!!! Wasting a first round pick on flabby body Benjamin when we need an outside corner is a bad move imo. Verrett would play inside. Then u trade most of our picks away so we can't pick up a backup center or inside linebacker (Bowman out). Also no safety? You do realize Bethea is a stopgap right?

I do like Verrett and Cooks but you jacked up the rest of the draft. This draft is so deep. The Steelers scout for 30 years claimed he thinks this is the deepest draft he ever seen. Yet, you turn our goldmine of picks into peanuts.
[ Edited by kronik on Apr 2, 2014 at 5:40 PM ]
Think about like this. You essentially just traded away 6 draft picks (56, 61, 77, 94, 129, 140) for one position. If we're talking about Verrett, Tuitt and Cooks at least we're filling holes here but double dipping on one position is insane.
Share 49ersWebzone