49ers vs. Seahawks Tickets Available! →

There are 697 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh's Official Mock 3/24 - Blockbuster Trade Edition

Browse 49ers books and videos
Sorry...kept getting errors, didn't think the post was getting through. I hate "spam"...
I can see 49ers moving up a few spots in the 1st round but NOT moving all the way up to #10 or anywhere near that. Lots of depth in this draft so trading away 2,3, or 4 picks for 1 guy isnt a smart move. I know we all like to think make the 2014 team the best possible and win superbowl, but i think the front office is thinking make the team as best as possible for as long as possible. That means obtaining rookies and bringing them up through our system.

i can potentially see us trading 1 or 2 picks for extra picks next year as we cannot draft 11 players and expect them to all make the team.
Why go ape sh*t with all the trades just stay put at #30 and snag Jean-Baptiste, if cooks is not there and Moncrief with our first second round pick
This is my first post!!...I've been reading the zone for years and figured it was time to join in!! That being said I think we should stay at 30 and grab fuller/Verrett and trade up in 2nd for Moncrief.
I like Gilbert, but I do not see us trading the farm to get him. Too much depth in this draft. Chances are, we are more likely in favor of keeping our pick or doing a minor trade up to secure someone.

Yes, we have a lot of picks, but the degree of separation in talent will be the main determinant in how willing we are to trade up for someone. They will have to believe a player is THAT much better than all the others in a very deep class AND that he will not fall to a spot where they don't have to give up as much.

I don't know that Gilbert will have that level of an evaluation for us. We can mitigate risk and greatly increase our chances of getting a strong starter by doing a minor trade up and keeping more picks to take more highly rated players in this deep class.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 25, 2014 at 7:41 AM ]
Too much to give up in terms of points to get to 10. I could see Detroit as a trading partner though based on their lack of draft picks and not having a ton of cap space to fill their Defensive backfield. I could see a 30,61 & 94 for 10 and a 3rd next year- but even then we're on losing end of points.

I'd love to get Gilbert and believe Detroit, Ny giants, and steelers could all be trade partners. I think the more likely scenario is to come up with those 2nd and 3rds to get an additional 1st. Getting that 5th year is very fiscally wise and think we could see picks at say 16/17 & 30. In which case a WR and cb could both be rd 1 snags.
TWEET FROM Matt Miller that I agree with.

Matt Miller ✔ @nfldraftscout
Thanks to comp picks, #49ers own six of top 100 picks. There's not room for six rookies on the roster. Expect them to trade up.
4:43 PM - 24 Mar 2014


Do I think the 49ers move up? Absolutely. Would I love them to grab the best CB in the draft and some say the best since P. Peterson? Of course. I dont think this is as far fetched as some are saying here. I could of just had the Niners stand pat like most Mocks here, and have them play it safe and Pick Pierre Desir in late 2nd early 3rd, cuz that is who I think the niners would target over SJB or Keith McGill. But I think the niners need an impact player at the position. We have a lot of CBs right now that are fringe. I think they need another solid player at the position.

We should not draft 11 players this year. Either we use a few to trade up or trade down for next year. Either way I think getting 7-8 players is all we should bring in through the draft. Keep in mind this rooks have to be signed. Thats cap room we need to fit around Kaps empending deal. I think we need quality over quantity at this point.
[ Edited by JimHarbaugh on Mar 25, 2014 at 11:40 AM ]
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Thanks to comp picks, [url=#49ers; own six of top 100 picks. There's not room for six rookies on the roster. Expect them to trade up.— Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) [url=March[/url] 24, 2014


I actually disagree. It depends on who the picks/positions/players are. We could easily fit more than 6 rookies on the roster.

2 WR, 2 CB, 1 S, 1 QB, 1 LB, 1 OL (or more) combined could all win out a roster spot if you look at our current holes. We don't have to trade up. We still might, but "not having enough room" wouldn't be the reason. When it comes to sure-fire 100% locks, I only see the following at each position:

QB: CK, Gabbert
RB: Gore, Lattimore, Hunter, LMJ, Miller
TE: Vernon, McDonald
WR: Boldin, Crabtree, Patton
OL: Staley, Iupati, Kilgore, Davis, Boone, Looney. (Not fully convinced that Snyder and Martin are locks)
DL: Justin Smith, Ian Williams, McDonald, Dorsey, TJE, Carradine
OLB: Aldon, Brooks, Skuta, Lemonier
ILB: Willis, Wilhoite, Moody, Bowman (but he will be on PUP, so that frees up a space)
CB: Brock, Culliver (don't believe anyone outside these two are locks)
S: Reid, Bethea, Spillman
STs: Dawson, Lee, McDermott

So overall, that's 37 for-sure-for-sure spots taken, leaving 16 available spots to compete for with the incoming rookie class. Sure, not all of them will win. But I think it's very plausible for 6 rookies to win 6 out of the 16 available spots up for grabs.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 65,216
I agree with, Clock. No reason up to 6 rooks can't compete for jobs. Competition is Harbaalke's calling card.
Sure buuut.. we have 11 picks..
This is a good mock.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 65,216
dp
[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 25, 2014 at 1:29 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 65,216
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Sure buuut.. we have 11 picks..

There's no reason all 11 can't compete for jobs.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,041
the top 10 or 15 of this draft is not super elite, like it is some years. robinson, and maybe mack and clowney will be studs, but there's no aj green or pat peterson or watt in this group. but, there are good, starter-quality guys well into the 70's. better to keep picks and draft top-100 players.
Good mock and I like the players

Thoroughly dislike trading up so much in such a deep draft. Especially since Baalke has a very solid record in acquiring DB in later rounds.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone