LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

my dream mock draft

1. Stephon Tuitt DE - could eventually occupy blockers and free up Aldon Smith like Justin Smith used to. I'm higher on Tuitt than most people and think he would find his way onto the field a lot as a rookie. Versatile and can move inside on passing downs. He is my draft crush this season.

2.42 Bradley Roby CB (trade 61 and 94 to the Bills who have a lot of needs) - I think he falls a little in a pretty deep CB class behind Gilbert, Dennard, Fuller, and Verrett. If Verrett is here instead, he would be the pick. Both guys are great athletes who could play the slot (Roby is 5'11 but his arms are only 31 1/2" and he might be a better fit in the slot in a press scheme).

2.56 Donte Moncrief WR - can become a credible deep threat for us and has some size too. Can be groomed to replace Boldin or Crabtree in the future. I would rather get Mike Evans in round one because I see him as a dominant red zone threat and a better deep threat than Moncrief because of his size and jump ball ability even though Moncrief is faster. Getting Tuitt, Moncrief, and another player may represent better value than trading up though.

3. Stanley Jean-Baptiste/Keith McGill CB - a big developmental press corner - I think Baptiste may be gone here, but McGill will probably still be there. Both are tall, long, and athletic, but may not be able to contribute immediately.

3. traded to move up in the second for Roby.

3. Dri Archer RB (trade LaMichael James and our 4th round pick to move up to the late 3rd to get Archer) - pure speed and explosiveness - I'm not sure he has a definite position, but he would be great on special teams and we could find a way to get a guy with 4.26 speed, great quickness, and decent hands on the field down the road. I'm a little concerned we didn't fit James in our offense, but Archer is a different athlete.

4. traded with LaMichael James to draft Dri Archer in the 3rd round.

4. Jonathan Dowling S - copied this off Phoenix's mock but he has great size and we would have time to develop him behind Bethea. We could use depth at S and Bethea is already 29. Dowling is thin, but has good height, length, and speed and showed some playmaking ability against weak opponents with 8 FF's and 9 int's in the last 2 seasons.

5. Seantrel Henderson OT - late 5th is around when teams will be willing to take a chance on him - very inconsistent player with some durability and maturity concerns but he is a very good athlete for someone his size and has long arms (34 5/8"). I feel like our team has the leaders to get this guy back on track, but keep him away from Aldon Smith. There are no backup tackles listed on the 49ers depth chart so getting a project like Henderson may be a good idea if they trust him off the field.

7. Trey Millard FB/TE - we could use depth at FB and Millard can catch the ball too. He's coming off an ACL injury which could cause him to fall here.

7. Spencer Long OG - IR player who will provide depth at guard down the road.

7. trade for 2015 7th round pick (otherwise may get stolen off practice squad and I couldn't think of a good IR player here since Colvin will be long gone.

The main needs that aren't being hit are C and slot WR, but Patton, Moncrief, Boldin, and Archer may be able to split time in the slot and we may be using more 2 TE sets anyways if McDonald develops. I also don't really like the C's in this draft class - Marcus Martin was considered the top C for his athleticism but then he had a terrible pro day.

The odds of the trades working out exactly as I predicted are slim to none, but I would be thrilled with this haul.
Somehow I forgot Jonathan Martin when I was making this, but I'm not sure he should prevent us from taking Henderson and it might be better to try to move Martin to guard since he hasn't played well at tackle and is not a great athlete. The 49ers may be considering moving Martin to guard as they did with Boone to replace Iupati down the road if they can't resign him. Henderson and/or Martin could find their way onto the field in heavy set formations in addition to providing depth at tackle and guard (if the 49ers are looking at Martin as a guard).
Great mock dude you have a player at every part of a team besides a LB and QB
We also have Marquardt at OT. There is good depth on the OL right now, and I somehow doubt LMJ is traded fro Dri. But I love Tuitt and Roby.
Originally posted by Since07:
Great mock dude you have a player at every part of a team besides a LB and QB

Thanks - I figured we're okay at QB with Gabbert and we still have time to bring in another veteran in free agency if we want. I was thinking of going ILB in round 5 but couldn't think of a player who would be there who I like. Andrew Jackson may be an option at the end of the 5th but I've seen him picked earlier in some other mocks. I also feel like a lot of these mocks are becoming similar and I haven't seen Henderson in any so I thought he would add a little flavor to the mock.
That's almost exactly my dream draft too. Unfortunately for both of us Bradey Roby is probably going in the top 25.

And there's no way someone would trade a 3rd round pick for Lamichael James IMO.
Taking Tuitt is a mistake.
I don't get why people think we need help on the D-Line right now.
We are going for a Super Bowl, not rebuilding.
Plus we have Dobbs, Carradine, and Dial who would take up Tuitts time.
If we drafted a CB or WR, where our need is much greater, it'll help us more than ANY d lineman in this years draft.
endrant
Would love it if this happens, great mock! Only thing I'd change is the pick of Hendersen, we're pretty good with OL depth with Martin being added and Marquart coming back from injury (who I have high hopes for). Plus this draft has way to much WR depth too only walk away with one. Maybe package that last 7th and 5th to move up and get Herron if he's still there
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
That's almost exactly my dream draft too. Unfortunately for both of us Bradey Roby is probably going in the top 25.

And there's no way someone would trade a 3rd round pick for Lamichael James IMO.

I'm hoping Roby falls to 42 because there are 4 CB's I think will go ahead of him and he has been inconsistent in college. I still like him a lot as a prospect and think he'd be a good value at 42 because he's a great athlete with closing speed and can make plays on the ball. I think there's a shot he's there at 42, but I agree that some of my picks may not be there but I tried to make it as realistic as possible.

I think we can get a 3rd for LaMichael James and our 4th round pick (I posted in another thread that I don't think we can trade James straight up for a pick that lands Archer, but I do think he's worth a 4th round pick so we would basically be trading 2 4ths for a late 3rd which is reasonable.

I figured you would like this draft since I went with a lot of height weight speed guys
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Mar 16, 2014 at 1:35 PM ]
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Taking Tuitt is a mistake.
I don't get why people think we need help on the D-Line right now.
We are going for a Super Bowl, not rebuilding.
Plus we have Dobbs, Carradine, and Dial who would take up Tuitts time.
If we drafted a CB or WR, where our need is much greater, it'll help us more than ANY d lineman in this years draft.
endrant

Tuitt helps us stayin in tha hunt for yrs to come i cant see why pplz dobt see that. ..alot of our D-linemen are FAs after 2015 why not have a beast like Tuitt ready to take over its a no brainer....N besides Dobbs,Dial ,TEJ wont be as special as Tuitt will be ....

Taking Tuitt wouldn't be a mistake...if he's still on the board and Baalke chooses to go BPA, he could be it. Justin Smith won't play much longer...he's not a "hanger-on", he'll quit when he sees his play start to slip. That's why Baalke took Carradine last year, and even though he didn't play, he's now 100% healthy and rarin' to go. The same could hold true this year if a guy like Tuitt's available...RayMac's not going to play forever, either. Don't forget, over the past few years (2013 being the exception) he played a ton of snaps...that takes its toll and if the chance to get a beast like Tuitt emerges, it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see Baalke pull the trigger.

As for the CB's, like the McGill idea...but think I'd favor Fuller over Roby. Both are good CB's, but Fuller's 32 7/8" arms would arguably be the tie-breaker in Baalke's mind.

WRT the OT, with Marquardt, Martin and even Boone, not sure they'd take another one...but, there's usually an OL somewhere in the draft, so who knows.

Overall, very good job...lots to like here.
lamichael ain't worth squat, i mean the saints gave away spoles for less than that and he's 4x the player. your mock is good, fills needs but kind of boring. i hope we take some damn risks. Gilbert, dennard, evans, benjamin, cooks, watkins, easley, and your boy Sam. lets do it.
I almost am willing to bet we don't even take a D-lineman at all unless they are hurt, or it's a steal.
Taking Tuitt doesn't help us next year, we have a lot of FA next year and if we want to win a SB, Tuitt is not the answer.
Baalke knows that, which is why we drafted 3 D-lineman in last years draft.

In my opinion Carradine and Dial will play better next season than Tuitt. Not the answer for a first round pick.
Originally posted by T-9ers:
lamichael ain't worth squat, i mean the saints gave away spoles for less than that and he's 4x the player. your mock is good, fills needs but kind of boring. i hope we take some damn risks. Gilbert, dennard, evans, benjamin, cooks, watkins, easley, and your boy Sam. lets do it.

LaMichael James is still in his rookie contract and is much younger than Sproles. I think it's too early to write him off completely and we probably could get a 4th round pick for him. If he was being paid like Sproles, I would agree with you completely but he's making less than 1 million a year and may be able to develop into a change of pace back or slot receiver and he can return kicks. Tuitt is my favorite player in the draft but I wouldn't mind trading up for Gilbert or Evans if we don't have to give up too much.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
As for the CB's, like the McGill idea...but think I'd favor Fuller over Roby. Both are good CB's, but Fuller's 32 7/8" arms would arguably be the tie-breaker in Baalke's mind.

WRT the OT, with Marquardt, Martin and even Boone, not sure they'd take another one...but, there's usually an OL somewhere in the draft, so who knows.

Overall, very good job...lots to like here.

I rank Dennard, Fuller, Verrett, and Roby pretty similarly (I don't like Dennard at all compared to most people because I don't think he has a true position - he has bad length for an outside corner and does not have the quickness and hips to play slot corner in my opinion but there's no denying his effectiveness in college). I think most teams have Dennard, Fuller, and Verrett ahead of Roby which could push Roby to 42. If Fuller was there, I wouldn't mind taking him at 42 but I may look at a slot corner like Jaylen Watkins or Reynolds in the third instead of McGill because I think we need both. I thought Roby was more realistic there, but if the 49ers really like Fuller, I wouldn't be surprised to see them take him at 30.
Share 49ersWebzone