LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 244 users in the forums

James Wilder: Potential Boobie Dixon Replacement?

I know we're going to have Lattimore available, but I'd still like to see us take a RB at some point in this draft given his injury issues, Frank's advancing age, and Boobie's impending free agency.

To me, James Wilder is the perfect Boobie Dixon replacement. He's 6'3", 232 and a monster on special teams. He was the #1 LB coming out of HS but chose to play RB at FSU.

Pros: Elite balance and power. Constantly pushing the pile and hardly ever brought down with a single defender. Terrific in short yardage situations and will be an excellent special teamer.

Cons: Character concerns and has had run-ins with the law. Still learning the position. Plays a bit stiff at times.

Bottom Line: At best, could be a huge steal and a potentially dominant back. At worst, he could be a great short-yardage back and special teams contributor.

Here are some highlights.

Hated boobie no thanx
Originally posted by Tslope90:
Hated boobie no thanx

Good logic. I said he was a potential Boobie replacement--meaning a short-yardage back and special teamer. That doesn't mean he's the same player. He's far more talented than Boobie, IMO.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Feb 21, 2014 at 3:31 PM ]
James Wilder is a monster. He is more than a boobie Dixon replacement. Him and Lattimore would beat defensive linemen to a pulp.
[ Edited by ESWYoung08 on Feb 21, 2014 at 3:50 PM ]
Originally posted by ESWYoung08:
James Wilder is a monster. He is more than a boobie Dixon replacement. Him and Lattimore would beat defensive linemen to a pulp.

This man has excellent taste in running backs. Would love to see 2 physical backs beating up on opposing defenses.
Wilder is a bum... living off his high school hype. Long ass neck for no reason, too.
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
Wilder is a bum... living off his high school hype. Long ass neck for no reason, too.

Hm, this is a new one. Prospect discounted due to unnecessary neck length.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:

It may be an advantage. Drew Brees and the Saints won a game because of this.
Might be a good "Swiss army knife" with size able to back-up as RB, FB, HB, TE + core special teamer. Definitely should consider in ~4th rd
how's his twitter account?

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:

It may be an advantage. Drew Brees and the Saints won a game because of this.

I think you're onto something. Could be a late-game sub at QB to try to draw 15-yarders.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Feb 22, 2014 at 2:29 PM ]
no thanks looks slow running through holes big enough to drive a truck through then goes down with first conntact. pass.
Originally posted by Izyniner:
no thanks looks slow running through holes big enough to drive a truck through then goes down with first conntact. pass.

i assume this is sacarsim? or are you too lazy to watch the highlights? Hes fast for a big guy, built like Adonis and constantly pushes the pile back.
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
Originally posted by Izyniner:

i assume this is sacarsim? or are you too lazy to watch the highlights? Hes fast for a big guy, built like Adonis and constantly pushes the pile back.

I know right? Saying he goes down at first contact is just plain wrong. He's pretty exceptional at NOT going down at first contact considering his height and kind of upright running style.

He's a good pass catcher as well as a determined runner. Some character concerns but I like Wilder and would kick the tires if he's there 5th/6th round.
I don't see us replacing Anthony Dixon. Dixon's spot however will be taken by Marcus Lattimore.
Share 49ersWebzone