LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

Garlicboy Mock #3

Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
I agree with Mc beat here. We need CB's who can play right away so I would get another CB instead of Sunseri. Easley should be available later on so maybe a C like Richburg would be a good pick in the late 2nd. If we get Murray, why take Thomas? Overall a solid draft.
Brock and Culliver will be here, we will look for a #3 CB in the FA for sure. So, there is no big need for starter-ready CB imho.

I didn't necessarily mean starter quality. The. Niners play a lot of Nickel defense and they went four deep this year with Rogers, T. Brown, Brock and Wright getting playing time. The extra CB would be a reserve. It would be nice if the guy had ST ability, too.

2b: F
is seriously knee-injured for the second time in his collegiate career. Would not pick him before the 4th

7: B
Long, Millard, Archer I like...would try to trade one or several of our 7th-rounders for an additional 4th-rounder in order to draft Easley with it

I hear you. I would love to draft Easley later. Unfortunately, when was Tank Carridine drafted last year? Mid 2nd round.
Brock and Culliver will be here, we will look for a #3 CB in the FA for sure. So, there is no big need for starter-ready CB imho.

Completely agree. Just wonder who it's going to be.
I agree with Mc beat here. We need CB's who can play right away so I would get another CB instead of Sunseri. Easley should be available later on so maybe a C like Richburg would be a good pick in the late 2nd. If we get Murray, why take Thomas? Overall a solid draft.
Culliver is coming off an injury and there is no guarantee he will be 100% of what he was. As for signing a CB a quality CB is not cheap in the FA market. We might not have the cap space and even if we do there are nickel and dime packages. Your number 3 and number 4 corners need to be able to play and that's if you are lucky and nobody gets hurt. This would be a good year to bring in a couple of young CB's with talent to develop.

A 4th round pick for an injured back up QB of the future? In a very deep draft no less.

A 6th round pick for an inured back up SS?

I can see Colvin, Millard and Long. They are late picks for the pup list that could become starters for us. Someone like Easley if he were to drop to the 4th round or later.
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:

Not thrilled about the 6th round pick for an injured safety who wasn't projected to go very high in the 1st place. I don't mind drafting pup list guys but I want guys that would have been 1st or 2nd or possibly early 3rd rounders if they were healthy.

The rest of the draft is solid.

Not realistic, drafting likely 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounders in the 7th round.

Proof in the 2013 Draft.

Tank Carridine- 2nd round
Marcus Lattimore- 4th round
Quniton Dial- 5th round

Spending a late 6th and 3 7th's on injured players IMHO is a wise investment.
Tank was projected aprox 15th. I think we took him a bit early but a reasonable stretch for a top 15 player.

Lattimore was a possible 1st rounder we got 3 rounds later.

Dial I still don't know if he was worth the pick yet. If he plays like a 2nd rounder sure. If he plays like a 4th rounder no way.

I like the Colvin pick and the Millard and Long picks. Don't care for the injured back up SS in round 6 or Easley in round 2. Maybe in round 4 or 5.

My statement about wanting 1st, 2nd or 3rd round talent for pup list guys. Do you really want to spend 5th-7th round picks on injured players that would not have gone any higher than the 4th round if they were healthy? I don't want to spend a 7th round pick on a 4th to 5th round talent with a knee injury.

Also keep this in mind for pup list guys. And yes. , there are exceptions to every rule.

1. With serious injuries some players never make it back. The current stat on ACL injuries is 20% according to an article I read.
2. Players coming off serious injuries that do come back tend to have shorter careers.
3. Even if they come back and play well with a redshirt year you only get 3 years of production before they are FA's and you know how much fun it is for the 49ers to try and resign FA's. 1 yr to redshirt. 1 yr as a rookie to learn. 2 more years and possibly gone.
With the luxury of so many picks, I like the philosophy of drafting blue chip injured players since we have the luxury of red shirting. I think it's a huge advantage that will be taken advantage of by other teams who are in such a position. The beauty is, hardly anyone is, other than us.
[ Edited by 60sFan on Feb 6, 2014 at 8:34 AM ]
Originally posted by 60sFan:
With the luxury of so many picks, I like the philosophy of drafting blue chip injured players since we have the luxury of red shirting. I think it's a huge advantage that will be taken advantage of by other teams who are in such a position. The beauty is, hardly anyone is, other than us.

It worked wonders with Jome Looney. I hope it works out. I'm sure other teams are doing or thinking the same thing.
With the way other teams pilfer our practice squad it's really smart to add talent that you can hide on injured reserve.
Too many injured players...Baalke took 3 last year...don't see any way he'd double that in a year we need CB's, S, b/u QB, ILB, WR, etc.

1 Lee - Agree he's multi-talented, but was also injury prone last year. Assuming Boldin's re-signed, no argument we need to add speed at the position. Baalke would arguably have to trade up to get him. 1st rd WR's haven't fared well w/Niners for whatever reason. Other options: take BPA, grab one of the top CB's, if Lee's gone, take Beckham (w/o trading up).

2a Bucannon. Home-run pick, IMHO. Has all the tools. Think he's one of the most well-rounded S coming out of college.

2b pick. Here's where you could get a WR, or possibly a big CB like McGill or Jean-Baptiste.

3a pick. ILB Shane Skov.

3b pick. If a 2nd CB hasn't been picked, this could be the spot. I like Kyle Fuller or Gaines here.

3c (likely supplemental) pick. QB David Fales (he could also go w/4th rd pick). Options: OLB (for us) Marcus Smith, DE Brent Urban

4 pick. Fales if not taken at end of 3rd rd. Options: M. Smith/Urban (same as end of 3rd rd)

rds 5-7 Take an OL, DL, maybe some red-shirts.
I hear you. I would love to draft Easley later. Unfortunately, when was Tank Carridine drafted last year? Mid 2nd round.
Like I said, he is knee-injured for the SECOND time in his collegiate career. The first one was also an ACL tear, iirc. Very huge risk that he never be the same again.

Culliver is coming off an injury and there is no guarantee he will be 100% of what he was. As for signing a CB a quality CB is not cheap in the FA market. We might not have the cap space and even if we do there are nickel and dime packages. Your number 3 and number 4 corners need to be able to play and that's if you are lucky and nobody gets hurt. This would be a good year to bring in a couple of young CB's with talent to develop.

A 4th round pick for an injured back up QB of the future? In a very deep draft no less.

I can see Colvin, Millard and Long. They are late picks for the pup list that could become starters for us. Someone like Easley if he were to drop to the 4th round or later.
Right, he is coming off a serious injury but he is not dead. And I am NOT talking about signing a #1-CB either. servicable #3 or #4 is sufficient and can be hired cheap, imo (Eric Wright, Perrish Cox, Asomugha).
Though, I think that you got a valid point ovr.

QB is a crucial position. I prefer reach for one rather than miss on one.

Good - I liked it.

Maybe a bit heavy on injured players but still it's very interesting.
Like I said, he is knee-injured for the SECOND time in his collegiate career. The first one was also an ACL tear, iirc. Very huge risk that he never be the same again.

Right, he is coming off a serious injury but he is not dead. And I am NOT talking about signing a #1-CB either. servicable #3 or #4 is sufficient and can be hired cheap, imo (Eric Wright, Perrish Cox, Asomugha).
Though, I think that you got a valid point ovr.

QB is a crucial position. I prefer reach for one rather than miss on one.
I would love to see us draft a CB in the 2nd or 3rd round and another in the 4th-6th round area.
4th-6th=Colvin.
2nd-3rd=pick one, Jean-Baptiste? Joyner?

Would be absolutely ok with this pattern.
4th-6th=Colvin.
2nd-3rd=pick one, Jean-Baptiste? Joyner?

Would be absolutely ok with this pattern.

I would rather draft 2 healthy CB's plus take a flier on Colvin unless we were to sign a FA with starting ability. Maybe a 2nd rounder and a 4th or 5th rounder. Culliver was a nickel back before he was injured. I wouldn't count on him to start now. He could compete with the 2nd rounder for the starting job and the loser could join our other pick competing for the #3 and #4 spots. Add a player like Parish Cox the fill out the roster.

4th round pick? 6th round pick? Check where Aaron Murray and Sunseri are predicted to get drafted. I would love to take Murray in the 7th, but that is not realistic.

People on the board never acknowledge the fact that the 49ers hold the 30th pick in the 4th round. Might as well consider it a high 5th.

7th round? Most players would rather be signed as an UDFA because of the signing bonus. If the team doesn't draft a Healthy player in the 7th round...

BIG DEAL!!! The draft will have perhaps 7 more picks and then it's a free for all with UDRFA, and the 49ers have paid top dollar to get the UDRFA in camp.
Share 49ersWebzone