LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 256 users in the forums

Deone Bucannon, FS/SS Washington State

This allegation that Bucannon is not a good tackler seems to be more of people regurgitating stuff they hear from others rather than factually based. He is probably the best S tackler in the draft IMO.
Originally posted by bigwads:
This allegation that Bucannon is not a good tackler seems to be more of people regurgitating stuff they hear from others rather than factually based. He is probably the best S tackler in the draft IMO.

I've seen quite a few of his games and don't remember seeing him miss too many tackles. He's always around the ball, which is what I like about him.

He does go for the hard hits, so I'm sure he has missed some tackles here and there. Not sure about his technique either...all I know is this guy is probably the #1 safety overall in the draft this year.
Watching Kam Chancellor yesterday made me want a monster SS like Bucannon. This guy looks like he has range too. If we can grab him with our first pick of the 2nd round I would be a happy camper.

Not at all. He has the tendency to go for a big hit rather than simply wrapping up, not the most reliable open field tackler either.

Clinton-Dix is a far better tackler for example.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Watching Kam Chancellor yesterday made me want a monster SS like Bucannon. This guy looks like he has range too. If we can grab him with our first pick of the 2nd round I would be a happy camper.

6'0", 215 is monster sized?

A project like Nick Williams would be worth looking into as a UDFA, he's about 6'2", 225, monster body, needs a lot of work and coaching though. The upside is that he doesn't cost you a draft pick. Played at Georgia before transferring to North Alabama.

I think the knock was bad angles to. I'm just not a big fan of this SS class and I'm not really confident in any SS besides Clinton-Dix or Pryor to come in day one and not let the team down. Even those guys would have a hard enough time as they have their flaws. I might take Joyner or Ward and bulk them up over Bucannon, Dixon, Loston, etc.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Feb 3, 2014 at 7:31 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Not at all. He has the tendency to go for a big hit rather than simply wrapping up, not the most reliable open field tackler either.

Clinton-Dix is a far better tackler for example.

I like Buccanon a lot. Got to see him play quite a bit, he is a head hunter, for sure, and he doe have flaws with his technique when it comes to open field tackling, but it has been over exaggerated some. His flaws are very coach able, But at his point he would be a year or two project before we threw him out there as the starter. He would be a solid pickup to develop if Whitner resigns for a season or two.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

Imo kam chancellor is by far the best SS in the league.. His range in run support and zone defense are second to none.. But his coverage of elite tight ends is just ridiculous ! Jimmy graham (8yds) vernon davis (16yds) and julius thomas (27yds) all in consecutive weeks in the playoffs! He did it all season too.. Finding a SS that can play in the box and also match up well vs tight ends in man coverage would be a huge plus.. I haven't studied buccanon enough to know if he's the guy or not
[ Edited by NinersPlusOne on Feb 4, 2014 at 11:26 PM ]
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
"Bucannon is a terrible tackler in terms of form and technique. He is almost always lunging or diving at the opponent. Bucannon throws shoulder bombs and does not consistent wrap up, which is a shame because he is physically capable. He just has a ton of bad habits that lead to inconsistent results."

Sounds like Dashon Goldson.

Nope. He much more sound when it comes to that. Tackling is a technique that we can coach him up to do, too. He played very well in the Senior Bowl and has great range. He's a natural in the box, but can interchange with Reid in the backend like Fangio likes to do because of his coverage skills. Whitner is too much of a liability in coverage even though he had a better year in that department. He already has the size we love plus his strength is a bonus not to mention his 78 in wingspan. O.O (You know Baalke likey that) He hits like a Mack truck and has the propensity to cause TOs as his six INTs and 3 forced fumbles will attest.

This is my favorite SS of the group, but both Dixon AND Loston could be there later than the second. Either way, we need one of those three for sure.
Just watched some tape on this guy. Do not want. He seems slow, he looks like a penalty liability and almost all the big plays Ive seen from him are just terrible throws by a QB.

Think he has quietly had one of the most impressive combine measurements for safeties. 6'1'' 4.49 official 40 tied for 2nd among safties, 9th longest wingspan 32 3/8 of all DBS, 2nd longest broad jump for safties, tied 2nd in vert at 36.5, and 3rd in bench at 19. Did not show one weakness and answered question about his speed.
I don't see what everyone else is seeing in this guy. He doesn't seem like a very good safety to me. Not very agile; A little hesitant.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Feb 26, 2014 at 12:55 AM ]
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Think he has quietly had one of the most impressive combine measurements for safeties. 6'1'' 4.49 official 40 tied for 2nd among safties, 9th longest wingspan 32 3/8 of all DBS, 2nd longest broad jump for safties, tied 2nd in vert at 36.5, and 3rd in bench at 19. Did not show one weakness and answered question about his speed.

definitely better results than expected... just makes me note that I need to go back and watch some more.. as I didn't like what I saw in games..
Run the card up to the podium in the 2nd round.
Share 49ersWebzone