LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 208 users in the forums

Deone Bucannon, FS/SS Washington State

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Dahl as the starter....

No thanks.

Eric Reid is the exception. Most rookies don't excel their first year. Good drafting makes all the difference.
Personally I like Stanley Jean Baptiste at Safety if he can't play Corner.
No to Dahl, I'd put the rookie we draft not even knowing who he is yet in before Dahl
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Dahl as the starter....

No thanks.

Eric Reid is the exception. Most rookies don't excel their first year. Good drafting makes all the difference.
Personally I like Stanley Jean Baptiste at Safety if he can't play Corner.

Still doesn't change the fact that Dahl is awful himself. He looked awful even in the limited snaps he played, teams had near perfect success rates throwing to him but you want to give him the starter job? Yeah, not happening. I doubt whichever rookie we pick could do worse than Dahl tbh.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Still doesn't change the fact that Dahl is awful himself. He looked awful even in the limited snaps he played, teams had near perfect success rates throwing to him but you want to give him the starter job? Yeah, not happening. I doubt whichever rookie we pick could do worse than Dahl tbh.

I'm just stating the facts. Dahl was signed to a long term contract and Eric Reid was not handed the starting job, he had to earn it, but was given every opportunity.

He looked awful in limited snaps? Don't remember him ever getting burned when Eric Reid was out a few plays with a concussion. You doubt whichever rookie we pick could do worse than Dahl. By that statement, why draft a safety high at all? If Dahl is so terrible himself.

Dahl is an average safety, but with the 49ers pass rush and Dahl's experience as a starter with the Ram's the 49ers could do worse at the safety position. Dahl is a nice stop gap solution to throwing your rookie to the wolves.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran

I'm just stating the facts. Dahl was signed to a long term contract and Eric Reid was not handed the starting job, he had to earn it, but was given every opportunity.

He looked awful in limited snaps? Don't remember him ever getting burned when Eric Reid was out a few plays with a concussion. You doubt whichever rookie we pick could do worse than Dahl. By that statement, why draft a safety high at all? If Dahl is so terrible himself.

Dahl is an average safety, but with the 49ers pass rush and Dahl's experience as a starter with the Ram's the 49ers could do worse at the safety position. Dahl is a nice stop gap solution to throwing your rookie to the wolves.

Reid went off with a potential concussion against the Panthers at the Stick, Panthers immediately went after Dahl and either got the bid reception leading to the TD or the TD run itself with Dahl on a bad angle, can't remember which exactly.

Dahl was signed for Special Teams, and emergency backup. Thats it. If Dahl is starting next season than the FO seriously f**ked up at addressing the position. Did you see the guy as a starter for the rams?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Huge fan of this guy. He is more of a FS, which is fine, as I like thought of Eric Reid at SS anyway. Back to Ward, he has lots of experience covering slot WRs, and would be a great FS option for us.

I'd definitely like to see some more of him, love his versatility, if it means the 49ers having two FS, centerfielder types, I can live with that, as long as both guys are competent tacklers, I don't see the issue, that's the general direction the NFL is moving in anyways. Ward doesn't have great size but neither does Earl Thomas, if he can hang and be a playmaker on defense, I'm all for it.

Hell yes.. exactly!

... and to Buchannon... I am less high on him than many... 3rd rounder at best until he alleviates my concerns on his instincts, tackling, and COD.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I'm having a hard time finding a SS that I would want to replace Whitner from day 1. Not a huge fan of Bucannon, Bailey, Loston, Dixon. Phoenix brought up Cody Prewitt but he didn't declare. He would probably have been my first choice great production and great size. Has Reid type size and ability. If you made me pick right now I'd consider Clinton-Dix at the end of the 1st and convert him to SS although he has flaws as well. I'm not sure If I'd rather have him at 30 or Gilbert/Verrett/Matthews/Robinson, etc.

Dixon is my favorite, just because of the upside, but in reality, none of these guys are ready to start from Day 1. Best case scenario is Whitner re-signs for 2 more seasons, allowing a rookie to develop in that time. Not a fan of Bucannon, whereas both Dixon and Bucannon aren't superb in coverage,Dixon at least is a very capable and fundamentally sound tackler.

Jimmie Ward SS 5-11 192

Ward had a very good Senior Bowl. He is the best coverage safety in the draft.

In the last two years, Ward has defended 31 passes--10 picks and 21 passes broken up.

Those are cornerback numbers in pass defense.

He has had 199 tackles--127 solo and 72 assists--with 3.5 tackles for a loss, and two forced fumbles.

He should be available in third, but he is moving up draft boards.
[ Edited by buck on Jan 27, 2014 at 7:58 AM ]
Jimmie Ward is the 2014 version of Jonathan Cyprien. Expect a meteoric rise. A safety who can cover is priceless in the NFL. Going to be a top 50 pick if he runs well at the combine.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jan 27, 2014 at 9:11 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Jimmie Ward SS 5-11 192

Ward had a very good Senior Bowl. He is the best coverage safety in the draft.

In the last two years, Ward has defended 31 passes--10 picks and 21 passes broken up.

Those are cornerback numbers in pass defense.

He has had 199 tackles--127 solo and 72 assists--with 3.5 tackles for a loss, and two forced fumbles.

He should be available in third, but he is moving up draft boards.

definitely my favorite safety in the senior bowl over Ahmad Dixon

Im a bigger fan of Telvin Smith or Dion Bailey becoming SS possibilities at the next level with exceptional coverage skills but played LB in college.

Telvin Smith 6'3" 218 My favorite to become a SS guy is every where impressed in the Senior bowl

Dion Bailey 6'0 200 Fall back in the later round as SS
  • buck
  • Veteran
Here is a chart that shows the passes defended by players commonly mentioned as possible replacements for Whitner.

My sense is that we need a player with solid coverage skills.

The players are ranked by passes defended per game.

^ .. cool stat breakdown... thanks for posting it.
Originally posted by buck:
Here is a chart that shows the passes defended by players commonly mentioned as possible replacements for Whitner.

My sense is that we need a player with solid coverage skills.

The players are ranked by passes defended per game.

Going to have to do more homework on Jimmie Ward. Thanks for posting.
Watching Ward he definitely seems more like a FS and a guy who can cover. If we would convert him to SS I'd want him to bulk up to around 200 to better handle the run.
Share 49ersWebzone