LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

Phoenix49ers Mock Draft 5.0

Here's my latest updated mock draft, in this one I do have one trade. As I look around at what is going on with the draft picture, I feel more strongly than ever that the 49ers should trade down a bit into the 2nd round barring some prospect that they are completely sold on drafting, like a guy like Marqise Lee dropping quite a bit for example.

(49ers trade down with Oakland, swap 1st rounders, gain Oakland's 4th round pick, Oakland moves up to secure a QB.)

Round 2-LaMarcus Joyner-5'8", 185-CB/FS-Florida State. I love the thought of this pick, Joyner is a gamer, a playmaker, a powder keg waiting to explode. He hits hard, plays smart, a guy who absolutely loves to play football, a natural leader out on the field, someone who could come in and make a huge impact as a nickel corner and perform on special teams. If there's an injury at safety, you can move him out there as well. In Fangio's defense, the nickel corner is more or less like a starter so if the 49ers are indeed going to part ways with Carlos Rogers, I want an athletic, quick, hard-hitting, sure-tackling player and a monster coming off the edge on blitzes to replace him. Joyner is all of that, he's a utility defensive back that simply makes plays. You can never have enough playmakers on a football team and that word describes him perfectly.

Round 2-Ahmad Dixon-6'0", 205-SS-Baylor If Whitner walks, 49ers will need a strong safety, even if he stays on a short-term contract, they need someone to back him up. Dixon is a player with a lot of potential, an extremely athletic safety that excels in run support. A high quality open field tackler, very enthusiastic player, great locker room guy, puts the time in watching film to pick up on opponent's tendencies, not as fluid in coverage as you might like ideally but he has improved there and shows the willingness to continue to develop as a safety in the NFL.

Round 2-Donte Moncrief-6'2", 220-WR-Ole Miss I'd love to take an Odell Beckham or a Jarvis Landry here but I suspect both of those guys will be long gone. Moncrief is the guy with the best upside at this point as a WR. Still needs to develop as a route runner but is similar to Josh Gordon in a lot of ways. Very good frame and leaping ability, attacks the football aggressively in the air, has some wicked moves to get separation, absolutely brutal with his double move to beat defensive backs, strong enough to handle press coverage, a vertical threat down the field with big soft oven mitt hands. Catches the ball mostly away from his body.

Round 3-Robert Herron-5'9", 180-WR-Wyoming. Deep threat, pure speed downfield, a guy at wide receiver who blow past defender's and force defense's to stay honest. Some aren't big fans of his, I think he can be a better NFL player than college player. Explosive, if he gets a step on you, he's gone. Combine that with Kaepernick having a huge apm and he adds a new dimension to this offense entirely for the receivers. He shows terrific quickness and ability to get in and out of his breaks, could be a monster in the slot, short-range quickness and deep downfield speed. Above all else, 49ers need to inject more speed on offense, Herron brings that in spades. 4.3 speed and outstanding quickness, a guy who can beat you deep or on a slant play and take it the distance. Has received a lot of praise for his ability to create separation at the Senior Bowl and that's exactly what the 49ers need.

Round 3-Bashaud Breeland-6'0", 190-CB-Clemson. A guy that is flying in under the radar. I think it was a mistake for him to come out early but some team will be the beneficiary of that. One of the top CB's in the ACC, very talented corner, especially does well in man coverage, very physical, instinctive player, a solid tackler, has a lot of room for improvement and a lot of upside. You could consider this a "buy low" type prospect. Had he stayed in at Clemson I think he could have been a potential late 1st round pick next year.

Round 3-Lamin Barrow-6'1", 230-ILB-LSU. I like Barrow a lot, he can play inside or outside, extremely instinctual player, always rushing to the ball, diagnoses plays correctly, not fooled often by screens or misdirection plays. Plays relentlessly, has the athleticism to drop back into coverage and hold his own there. Very fundamentally sound tackler, a good blitzer off the edge or up the middle as well. Very experienced performer. I make this selection because with Bowman's combined ACL/MCL injury, I don't expect him back until late next season. Wilhoite was nothing to write home about when he did play and Moody never got much of a chance to perform. Barrow is a guy who can come in and compete for a position, either starting as an inside linebacker from the get-go or providing valuable depth and contributing on special teams.

Round 4-Tyler Larsen-6'4", 315-C-Utah State. Experienced center, ready to start as a pro if needed, which would be good if Kilgore ended up flopping. He's a prototypical player for the kind of blocking scheme the 49ers have, I'd love to see him drafted here, very tough, resilient and hard working guy.

Round 4-Justin Ellis-6'1", 350-NT-Louisiana Tech. Back to back years that the 49ers select a 4th rounder from Louisiana Tech. Ellis has been extremely impressive in offseason workouts, showing a very quick first step for a guy his size. It would be intriguing to see him working with Tomsula, giving the 49ers a potentially massive body to clog up the middle on run downs.

Round 5-Aaron Murray-6'0", 205-QB-Georgia. I think the injury plus his size overall will lead to him dropping even further than originally expected. This might be a bit optimistic but if he's here, he's a steal and instantly provides the 49ers with a credible backup QB. One of the most NFL ready QB's in the draft. Tremendous value at this point.

Round 6-Aaron Colvin-6'0",190-CB-Oklahoma. Redshirt him for a year. 2nd round value at the back end of the 6th round. Physical, hard-hitting corner with solid coverage technique, good footwork, also a reliable tackler. Stupid, potato level value here at this point. Put him on the shelf, let him heal up, recover and bring it in 2015. Even if Culliver walks next year, you've got Breeland and Colvin there, ready to fight it out over who starts opposite Tramaine Brock, no need to panic and have to draft a CB early.

Round 7-Spencer Long-6'4", 320-OG-Nebraska. See Colvin. Let him recover from his injury, 49ers can keep him on the IR, let him learn the offense, have some practice time late in the season, he's a hell of a guard prospect, a potential 2nd rounder that will fall all the way down the boards due to his injury, even more ridiculous value than Colvin at this point.

Round 7-Alden Darby-5'10", 190-SS-Arizona State. Hard working guy, on field leader, a playmaker, smart player who is terrific value at this point, someone with good athleticism who can contribute on special teams and more.

Round 7-Trey Millard-6'2", 250-Swiss Army Knife-Oklahoma. Let's keep the 49ers injury clinic rolling, going to become a full-blown infirmary. Millard is a guy with a ton of talent who suffered an unfortunate injury, he was looking like a 3rd round prospect before he was injured. He can play FB, TE, WR, he kind of does it all, very impressive athletically, hard worker, the kind of guy that could bump Celek off the roster. Millard has a lot of versatility and is a more polished version of Marqueis Gray whose release in the offseason caused so much lamentation. Roman would absolutely love this guy, put him at FB, move him out as a receiver, he does great in the open field, would essentially let the 49ers run a 3 TE set with him playing as a fullback.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 24, 2014 at 6:33 PM ]
Nice looking mock. I was thinking something similar, except some sort of Reid like trade to nab either Dennard or Gilbert in the 1st, then Joyner and WR in the 2nd. What are your thoughts on Loston from LSU? i heard he is somewhat similar to Reid, not as much range thought.
In my mock I did the same draft back to get another 4th rounder, I love Joyner but because of his height and he's not fast in straight line speed but rather quick like tyrann I belive he will still be there in the late 2nd round. I would take Jordan Mathews and than Joyner and I'm not a big fan of Dixon. I like Buccannon instead. Have a prospect like Mcgill or Stanley instead of breelander, other than that I like the mock.. I'm about 80 percent sure we going to take Colvin and Long so that they can heal and learn the system. It's going to be hard if we don't because it's hard already to make a 53 man roster
Originally posted by cgoblin:
In my mock I did the same draft back to get another 4th rounder, I love Joyner but because of his height and he's not fast in straight line speed but rather quick like tyrann I belive he will still be there in the late 2nd round. I would take Jordan Mathews and than Joyner and I'm not a big fan of Dixon. I like Buccannon instead. Have a prospect like Mcgill or Stanley instead of breelander, other than that I like the mock.. I'm about 80 percent sure we going to take Colvin and Long so that they can heal and learn the system. It's going to be hard if we don't because it's hard already to make a 53 man roster

I like Dixon a lot, the way he moves, with his terrific athleticism, reminds me of this guy from last draft.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/j.j.-wilcox?id=2540219

Breelander I think is grossly underrated, he's got good size, good athleticism solid technique, somewhat raw but a lot of potential to be a good NFL cornerback playing on the outside. He also wouldn't need to start right away which is a huge plus.

As far as Joyner, the only way he falls down the draft boards is if he bombs completely at the Combine and I don't see that happening. I can see him being an instant impact player for this defense, straight out of the gate and being an upgrade for the 49ers at the nickel spot compared to Rogers this season.

I think both Gilbert and Dennard will be gone way too early for a trade up to be really viable, that and the 49ers don't necessarily need to go with those guys, they've got Brock coming back, Culliver coming back from injury to be on the outside, the more I look at it, nickelback is the biggest void and Joyner would more than take care of that spot.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
In my mock I did the same draft back to get another 4th rounder, I love Joyner but because of his height and he's not fast in straight line speed but rather quick like tyrann I belive he will still be there in the late 2nd round. I would take Jordan Mathews and than Joyner and I'm not a big fan of Dixon. I like Buccannon instead. Have a prospect like Mcgill or Stanley instead of breelander, other than that I like the jmock.. I'm about 80 percent sure we going to take Colvin and Long so that they can heal and learn the system. It's going to be hard if we don't because it's hard already to make a 53 man roster

I like Dixon a lot, the way he moves, with his terrific athleticism, reminds me of this guy from last draft.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/j.j.-wilcox?id=2540219

Breelander I think is grossly underrated, he's got good size, good athleticism solid technique, somewhat raw but a lot of potential to be a good NFL cornerback playing on the outside. He also wouldn't need to start right away which is a huge plus.

As far as Joyner, the only way he falls down the draft boards is if he bombs completely at the Combine and I don't see that happening. I can see him being an instant impact player for this defense, straight out of the gate and being an upgrade for the 49ers at the nickel spot compared to Rogers this season.

I think both Gilbert and Dennard will be gone way too early for a trade up to be really viable, that and the 49ers don't necessarily need to go with those guys, they've got Brock coming back, Culliver coming back from injury to be on the outside, the more I look at it, nickelback is the biggest void and Joyner would more than take care of that spot.

I love Joyner he reminds me of a stronger and more of a physical Hiter than Tyrann Mathew. I was pissed when we didn't draft him last year i hope we don't make that mistake again. I wouldn't mind drafting him in our 1st pick to make sure we get him. I do also belive he can start in day on and get our defense to go is very the top. Our linebackers are so good that it makes our secondary look great when they are really average. We just need 1 cold slot corner which i think it's Joyner and a cold outside corner like a Patrick Peterson or Joe Haden hell I'll be happy if had DRC.
I love Joyner he reminds me of a stronger and more of a physical Hiter than Tyrann Mathew. I was pissed when we didn't draft him last year i hope we don't make that mistake again. I wouldn't mind drafting him in our 1st pick to make sure we get him. I do also belive he can start in day on and get our defense to go is very the top. Our linebackers are so good that it makes our secondary look great when they are really average. We just need 1 cold slot corner which i think it's Joyner and a cold outside corner like a Patrick Peterson or Joe Haden hell I'll be happy if had DRC.
Not a fan of the guy, I think Brock is pretty underrated and Culliver was an outstanding performer during the 2012 season. The slot corner was the biggest weakness on the defense I think. If they had someone who can shut down the slot receivers, some of the smaller faster guys that have beat them up in previous years, this defense would be even more intimidating.
Phoenix, we like a lot of the same guys and we sure agree on the positions of need....................BUT two NT's? Like the Ellis selection early but Mister Cobble seems like overkill to me.

Very nice mock overall.
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Jan 24, 2014 at 5:21 PM ]
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Phoenix, we like a lot of the same guys and we sure agree on the positions of need....................BUT two NT's? Like the Ellis selection early but Mister Cobble seems like overkill to me.

Very nice mock overall.

Cobble's just one of my favorite guys, he likely would be a practice squad guy, someone to develop over time.

EDIT-Turns out the 49ers have only 3 picks in the 7th round this year, so he gets scrubbed.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 24, 2014 at 5:55 PM ]
Overall, I like your take on the draft. We like a lot of the prospects. Justin Ellis has been playing really well at the both the EW Shrine Game and in the Senior Bowl practices. Also, I definitely agree that slot corner has been a weakness for our secondary. Fangio's insistence of playing Rogers there helps with the stopping the run, but he is consistently beat in pass coverage, even when health. So getting a guy like Joyner to play that role is solid pick. Im curious what you see happening with the cornerback situation. You only took one, plus Colvin who is a injury special redshirt candidate.
Originally posted by YayArea:
Overall, I like your take on the draft. We like a lot of the prospects. Justin Ellis has been playing really well at the both the EW Shrine Game and in the Senior Bowl practices. Also, I definitely agree that slot corner has been a weakness for our secondary. Fangio's insistence of playing Rogers there helps with the stopping the run, but he is consistently beat in pass coverage, even when health. So getting a guy like Joyner to play that role is solid pick. Im curious what you see happening with the cornerback situation. You only took one, plus Colvin who is a injury special redshirt candidate.

Joyner and Breeland+Colvin for 2015. Why would they need more than that? Brock and Culliver as starters on the outside, Joyner as a nickelback and then Breeland, potentially Cox and Morris and then you have Colvin who will be recovering for 2015.

Love the Moncrief pick...plus I believe he'll be there in the second round if the 49ers decide not trade down in the first.
Short corners scare me. Also, I think we should trend toward good cover safeties. With wide open offenses and TEs like wide receivers, the hard hitting safety with average cover skills are losing ground. Besides, we rarely need help in the box with our Defensive front 7.
Originally posted by 60sFan:
Short corners scare me. Also, I think we should trend toward good cover safeties. With wide open offenses and TEs like wide receivers, the hard hitting safety with average cover skills are losing ground. Besides, we rarely need help in the box with our Defensive front 7.

Like who? Brock and Brown are both 5'10", did being short present some insurmountable challenge to their own performance? Did it prevent Mathieu from making an impact for the Cardinals? Verner was one of the very best corners in the NFL, he's barely 5'10. When it comes to a slot corner, you want someone with fluid enough hips to keep up with the super quick jitterbug types and you want a sure tackler who can make plays in the open field. Joyner is all of that and then some. Carlos Rogers is 6'2", was his height all that beneficial as the slot corner?

As far Dixon, he has the ability to improve in coverage as well, certainly has the athleticism and decent size for the position. He's another upside pick, a guy who has a high ceiling who can be coached up. His good instincts and awareness however can't. The same goes for Joyner, great football instincts, flies to the football,, always seems to know exactly where to go.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 24, 2014 at 5:54 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Like who? Brock and Brown are both 5'10", did being short present some insurmountable challenge to their own performance? Did it prevent Mathieu from making an impact for the Cardinals? Verner was one of the very best corners in the NFL, he's barely 5'10. When it comes to a slot corner, you want someone with fluid enough hips to keep up with the super quick jitterbug types and you want a sure tackler who can make plays in the open field. Joyner is all of that and then some.

As far Dixon, he has the ability to improve in coverage as well, certainly has the athleticism and decent size for the position. He's another upside pick, a guy who has a high ceiling who can be coached up. His good instincts and awareness however can't. The same goes for Joyner, great football instincts, flies to the football,, always seems to know exactly where to go.

It's possible he might be an exception, I would rather err toward a longer armed corner with some quickness who can get his hands in the way of some quick passes.
It's possible he might be an exception, I would rather err toward a longer armed corner with some quickness who can get his hands in the way of some quick passes.

Exception to what? I still don't get it. The Bills brought in an undrafted 5'7" Nickell Robey who was a beast for them in the slot. I don't envision Joyner playing on the outside, I envision him playing in the slot, so why is his height an issue then?

Like I said, Rogers is 6'2", did his long arms and length help deflect that pass that went to Kearse into the endzone on 4th down? I think quickness, footwork and overall speed are more important that length in the slot. How many times did Rogers struggle with guys like Cruz and others?

Football skills>>>>Height. Joyner has an immense skillset to be a true impact player on defense, a guy who teams will have to account for, who change an entire game with his skills. If you have a shot at someone like that, it is certainly worth taking. Knowing what they know now, do you think Mathieu still lasts to the 3rd round in a re-draft?
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 24, 2014 at 6:02 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone