LISTEN: The 49ers Pick Is In! →

There are 437 users in the forums

Keith McGill-CB-Utah

He is looking good at the Senior Bowl and is bigger than anyone expected. 6'3", 214, a very nice physical cornerback prospect. Mayock compared him to Sherman and Browner in terms of his size and physicality but appears to be faster and with better quickness. In their system he'd be a nightmare to deal with, in the 49ers system he's a guy that you can use to play press coverage or play off, he covers a lot of ground and is great at attacking the ball in the air. He's a California native, by all accounts a hard worker, not super flexible at the hips but not stiff either, moves well laterally and is one of my favorite CB prospects in this draft. He needs to improve as a tackler, as well as his hand placement when pressing a receiver but those are largely coachable issues. He's had some injury issues in the past, primarily related to his shoulder.

He's also capable of playing safety as well. A guy I'd love to see the 49ers snag with the KC pick in the 2nd round.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 22, 2014 at 12:49 PM ]
im seeing a lot of news on McGill, and well deserved. guy is big and physical and i'd love him in the red and gold. i do, however, see him being one of the Senior Bowl darlings and moving up past our reach.
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
im seeing a lot of news on McGill, and well deserved. guy is big and physical and i'd love him in the red and gold. i do, however, see him being one of the Senior Bowl darlings and moving up past our reach.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him wind up in Jacksonville. Or even Seattle, he'd be lethal in that system where holding and other semi-illegal tactics are encouraged. If the 49ers wanted more physical play, more press coverage from their cornerback's, he'd be a good guy to go with.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I wasn't lying or being a Ute homer when I said McGill looked legit in the Utes' spring practice/game.

Shutting down all of their receiving threats notably Kenneth Scott(size, speed guy at 6'3 211 and easily runs a sub 4.5, a lot of TV guys were saying he had NFL buzz before he went down with an injury), Anthony Denham(size guy 6'4 222), Dres Anderson(speed and agility guy, lost his 40 time though :( .....I think he'll be in the NFL in 2 years but not guaranteed), and Jake Murphy(a Health Miller type TE, projected late day 2/early 3 pick).

Then once the season started, he played great through the year against the PAC-12s best receivers, I said it before that people need to keep an eye on him.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 22, 2014 at 1:05 PM ]
Yes, bigger corners!!! YESSSS!!!!!
Yes please. Stanley Jean Baptiste first for me for the tall CBs, but would be happy with this guy too. F it can we get both!
what is it with utah putting out these tall cbs..chiefs shaun smith 6-3 and now this guy
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hofer36:
what is it with utah putting out these tall cbs..chiefs shaun smith 6-3 and now this guy

Sean Smith was a bit ago but the Utes love recruiting bigger DBs, both safety and CB, they've got several underclassmen that are 6'2 or 6'3 then the more traditional 5'10'-6'0" range for the rest of them.

They've got another senior named Brian Blechen, 6'2 220 DB, usually plays safety but is big and physical enough that they used him in the box a lot and I saw him play CB a little bit, can't recall how well he did on the outside though. Not sure if he's trying for the NFL but I always thought he had some potential.
Looks like a nice prospect for the 49ers.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I think he'll fall farther than the 2nd round, started only 17 games at Utah in 3 seasons with not much production, although INT's aren't everything. But I'm gonna say he falls to the end of the 3rd.

Originally posted by Kolohe:
I think he'll fall farther than the 2nd round, started only 17 games at Utah in 3 seasons with not much production, although INT's aren't everything. But I'm gonna say he falls to the end of the 3rd.

I doubt he'll fall that far, especially with other teams looking at bigger corners as well. He's a guy who definitely needs to be coached up but I wouldn't be mad to see the 49ers take him at the end of the 2nd/early 3rd.
Draft this mother f**ker. It is time for us to start playing Seattle's way of defense. Give them a taste of their own medicine. Draft these big corners and just let them mug the f**k out of receivers every play.
Not a fan of this guy in the 2nd round... I think he is a 3rd at best.
  • Ruhl
  • Veteran
I didn't see a lot of man press on McGill's draftbreakdown tape, and I really dont watch much Utah football. Where is he drawing the Seattle DB comparison? Is it just his size? To me he plays a little bit soft and passive, especially given his size advantage.

I think Jaylen Watkins is gonna be another day2/day3 borderline guy, and if they are both on the board and if I still need a CB, Watkins would be my guy
[ Edited by Ruhl on Jan 24, 2014 at 8:42 AM ]
Originally posted by Ruhl:
I didn't see a lot of man press on McGill's draftbreakdown tape, and I really dont watch much Utah football. Where is he drawing the Seattle DB comparison? Is it just his size? To me he plays a little bit soft and passive, especially given his size advantage.

I think Jaylen Watkins is gonna be another day2/day3 borderline guy, and if they are both on the board and if I still need a CB, Watkins would be my guy

McGill is very raw, he's only played one season at cornerback, he's a guy that will need time to develop but certainly there's a lot of upside, he plays the ball well in the air, pursues the ball-carrier well, solid tackler, footwork needs some improvement but he was the high-point of a very weak Utah secondary. I've seen him play press coverage as well as drop back into zone, he's blazing fast but has the ability to hang with smaller, faster receivers as well as hold his own with bigger, more physical ones too. I've been intrigued by him for awhile, either as a safety or as a cornerback.
Share 49ersWebzone