There are 200 users in the forums

Big hitting safety Calvin Pryor, Louisville

Not too many people talking about this guy. 6 foot 2 safety Calvin Pryor. Mel Kiper has him as the #3 safety for non-seniors:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10001365/2014-nfl-draft-mel-kiper-updates-list-top-nfl-prospects-every-position

Can knock people out:

https

Disclaimer: Not a fan of Mel Kiper
[ Edited by kronik on Jan 3, 2014 at 11:54 AM ]
Need a replacement for Whitner that can be an improvement in pass coverage, but don't need the Goldson type penalties.
One hit. And you could see the receiver was late in seeing the hit come.

Gotta show me more than that.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
One hit. And you could see the receiver was late in seeing the hit come.

Gotta show me more than that.

That's all I could find. I only looked him up because I saw Mel Kiper's list. Noticed him listed as his #3 non-senior safety (Behind Haha and Ed Reynolds). Tried to find videos but not very successful. Maybe some of the in-house experts can give us a breakdown of his game.
[ Edited by kronik on Jan 3, 2014 at 11:53 AM ]
i'm on the bandwagon. the kid is violent, and like most college safeties tends to go for the big hit rather than wrap, but i like the way he plays.
Pryor would be the closest thing to drafting Goldson all over again. Plays out of control at times, does some dumb stuff, massive hard hitter, solid but not great in coverage, needs to improve his footwork, mostly was asked to play in the box, he does have a good build for the position.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 7, 2014 at 2:35 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Pryor would be the closest thing to drafting Goldson all over again. Plays out of control at times, does some dumb stuff, massive hard hitter, solid but not great in coverage, needs to improve his footwork, mostly was asked to play in the box, he does have a good build for the position.

Sounds about right. I think he's actually bigger than Goldson was at this stage.
Originally posted by kronik:
Sounds about right. I think he's actually bigger than Goldson was at this stage.

Pretty much the same size, wouldn't be shocked if Pryor is actually a little shorter than Goldson with how colleges overinflate size and all. He's an interesting player but someone I would rank behind Clinton-Dix, Prewitt and Dixon.
most recent Walter mock draft has us taking two of my draft crushes in round 2: Jordan Matthews and Calvin Pryor
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
most recent Walter mock draft has us taking two of my draft crushes in round 2: Jordan Matthews and Calvin Pryor

Seeing as Walter posts with his head firmly inserted into his nether regions, I wouldn't take much satisfaction in that. Dude has consistently been wrong about stuff, reading his 49ers draft grades is always amusing, most recently he hammered them for the Eric Reid pick.

"San Francisco 49ers: Eric Reid, S, LSU: C- Grade The 49ers moved up for... Eric Reid? Why? This safety class was incredibly loaded. I'm sure one of Reid, Matt Elam or Jonathan Cyprien would have been available at No. 31. Reid had issues covering last year, so this pick is highly questionable - especially considering that San Francisco moved up for the LSU product."

"Most Likely To Bust Eric Reid, S, LSU - Round 1

The 49ers traded up for Reid in a curious move. They could have stayed at No. 31 and been in position to land a good safety prospect even if Reid didn't fall to their pick. Safeties Matt Elam or Jonathan Cyprien went off the board at picks No. 32 and No. 33 respectively. I was not a fan of Reid and think that he could be a bust for San Francisco. My reasoning is that the 6-foot-2, 212-pounder really struggled in pass coverage in last season and was burned consistently. Reid's splash plays were down in 2012, and he didn't have as large a presence. The junior started the season with a mixed outing against North Texas. He had seven tackles, an interception and a pass broken up, but also was burned for two touchdowns.

Reid struggled in run support versus Florida and took some bad angles with weak tackling attempts. He played better against South Carolina and Texas A&M with a mixed outing against Alabama. Reid again was beaten badly for big passing plays in LSU's bowl game with Clemson. He totaled 91 tackles, two interceptions and seven passes broken up for the year. Reid looked better in 2011, but the sophomore had a great supporting cast of play-makers in Morris Claiborne, Tyrann Mathieu and Brandon Taylor. I could see Reid really struggling to cover athletic pass-receiving tight ends and slot receivers in the NFL. The 49ers other starting safety, Donte Whitner, is also better versus the ground game. Teams will attempt to isolate Reid on receivers and, in my opinion, he could prove to be a real liability in pass coverage."

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 7, 2014 at 3:58 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:

Seeing as Walter posts with his head firmly inserted into his nether regions, I wouldn't take much satisfaction in that. Dude has consistently been wrong about stuff, reading his 49ers draft grades is always amusing, most recently he hammered them for the Eric Reid pick.

i agree with you and i certainly take what he says with a grain of salt, but i just like seeing that two of the players i'm keeping an eye on could be slotted to us in the 2nd
Exactly. If Walter football believes/writes something, just go in the opposite direction and you'll be fine.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Exactly. If Walter football believes/writes something, just go in the opposite direction and you'll be fine.

but i want Matthews and Pryor in red/gold!!
Why the comparisons to Goldson? Dreads? Because thats the only thing they have in common. Physicality is a must in NFC west. But make no mistake, Calvin Pryor is a MUCH BETTER PLAYER THAN GOLDSON. His football IQ, ball skills, and range are waaaaay better. Theres a reason hes being compared to Kam Chancellor. Big, Physical safeties with a nose for the ball are rare. Eric Reid and Calvin Pryor will give Chancellor and Thomas some competition for best in league. If we cant resign Whitner, Pryor is a no-brainer. Period
[ Edited by Generalwizdom on Feb 14, 2014 at 2:04 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone