LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 141 users in the forums

Big hitting safety Calvin Pryor, Louisville

Originally posted by JustinNiner:
I don't know why every is questioning his cover ability. He is pretty good in coverage...would definitely be an upgrade to whitner. This kid hits harder than goldson and can cover. Would love to swoop him up in the 1st

I don't think anyone in the league hits harder than Goldson. That dude murders people.
Originally posted by LottsofGold49:
Originally posted by DueyK:
Isn't Whitner a Pro Bowler? I can't understand how people can say this guy could be an upgrade to Whitner. For christ's sake Whitner is ranked Top 5 in the FA now!

It could be said that Whitner is not worth the big money but saying Pryor would be an upgrade is just plain wrong.

this is what was said about Reid and Goldson last year.

DINGDINGDINGDING!!!! Winner!!! We drastically over-rate our own FA (most fanbases do this). Goldson is IRREPLACEABLE because he got some national attention! We can't afford to lose both Soap and RJF!!!! The D-Line will fall apart in the middle!! TKO is Willis's big bro on the field!! Willis will fall apart without him!! OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Ask yourself WHO is rating Whitner top 5 FA? Teams? No way they're letting out any info right now, unless its intentional misinformation. So it's just fake scouts and ex-(see also: unemployed) scouts spitballing on the internet. WHitner has had one good year in coverage for his career (BUFFALO didn't lock him up!!), and it happened to be a contract year. He knows the defense, but Reid is a damm genius, and I imagine he'd be fine calling coverages in his 2nd year.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
I don't know why every is questioning his cover ability. He is pretty good in coverage...would definitely be an upgrade to whitner. This kid hits harder than goldson and can cover. Would love to swoop him up in the 1st

I don't think anyone in the league hits harder than Goldson. That dude murders people.

Coached with a guy who played against Ray Lewis in his rookie year (bodies still warm). He went about 330lbs at the time and said Ray hit him so hard he could, "Knock your d!ck off." Funny story, relevant b/c I think LBs have a tougher job. I think Willis hits harder than goldson. Safeties get to cheat with a 10-15 yard run up. Willis has taken one step and tackled an RB with his own pulling Guard. That's insane.
[ Edited by WRATHman44 on Feb 22, 2014 at 11:26 AM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
TURRON DAVENPORT ‏@TDavenport_BSN

Sat down with Calvin Pryor. There's quite a bit of interest between him and the 49ers. He met with Harbaugh and Donatell.
I'll be honest with all of us 49er fans, this guy would make me happy at #30 and even a slight trade up too if it didn't cost too much. We'd have two young stud safeties and still could pick up a Jordan Matews or Moncrief at WR in the 2nd or 3rd. THis Pryor makes a LOT of sense for the 49ers. Bye Bye Hitner.
Originally posted by Jcool:

Sat down with Calvin Pryor. There's quite a bit of interest between him and the 49ers. He met with Harbaugh and Donatell.

Makes the most sense out of anyone in the 1st. I can't see Whitner not getting paid big money elsewhere.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Originally posted by Jcool:

Makes the most sense out of anyone in the 1st. I can't see Whitner not getting paid big money elsewhere.

wishful thinking but he's going in the top 20
Rumors swirling that the Niners are interested in him.

Swirling I tell you.
If they decide to save money and get younger and move on from Whitner I certainly would take Clinton-Dix or Pryor over guys in the 2nd-3rd round like Bucannon, Loston, Boston, Dixon, Ward, Reynolds, etc. I know there is some comparison to Goldson but Goldson would have made a much better SS than FS. I actually wanted to draft Earl Thomas and move Goldson to SS but I didn't think it would work because Goldson wanted too much money and he would want to get paid like a FS still. I do think if we want him or Clinton-Dix we would have to trade up to the 20s though. So you have to decide is a 1st plus 3rd and getting Clinton-Dix/Pryor more worth it than one of those 2nd or 3rd round guys who I think would struggle and wouldn't be ready to come in day 1. I think if Whitner isn't back than SS is the #1 need over 3rd CB and 3rd WR. I think I'd be ok if we had to trade up to get one of those guys but anything more than our 3rd I'd probably object. I don't know if I'd give up the Titans 3rd.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Feb 23, 2014 at 1:42 PM ]
3 reasons why the 49ers will not resign Donte Whitner and possibly draft Calvin Pryor in the 1st if he is still available:

1.) Save money Donte Whitner is going to be much more expensive, anywhere from 4-8 times more expenisve than a rookie contract.

2.) Reduce penalties- No better way to draw more flags than legally change your name to "Hitner." IDIOT!

3.) We lack a guy with dreadlocks on our team. Every other team in the league has a guy w/dreadlocks on the team. Law of averages, we get one this year.

Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Rumors swirling that the Niners are interested in him.

Swirling I tell you.

link?

Though I'm sure they are...as are probably 31 other teams.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Looked pretty good in this game

Originally posted by genus49:
link?

Though I'm sure they are...as are probably 31 other teams.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/2/23/5440186/49ers-visit-with-safeties-calvin-pryor-marqueston-huff
  • buck
  • Veteran
At the combine weigh in, Pryor is listed at 5-11 not 6-2.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AseLAGMydisldHE0Rl9kOGxPXzhPckREX3NQd0dQTGc&usp=drive_web#gid=6
Originally posted by buck:
At the combine weigh in, Pryor is listed at 5-11 not 6-2.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AseLAGMydisldHE0Rl9kOGxPXzhPckREX3NQd0dQTGc&usp=drive_web#gid=6

Yep. Still not bad size for the position. Most of the safeties are on the smallish side this year with the exception of Dowling but he's skinny as a rail.
Share 49ersWebzone