There are 171 users in the forums

So many picks

Interesting thought, would the Skins actually trade RGIII for picks and keep Cousins? Wow we should do that in a heartbeat.
what is so special about cousins?
Not much. But he seems to be a starting caliber QB. Given the Skins lack of talent well everywhere they may want to trade for more picks. Many sites note Cousins will be traded but obviously the will get more for RGIII.
so they should trade away their only talent on the offense who happens to be a qb?
we are armed with a war chest of picks , we have the luxury of being able to make some moves to ensure we get the right players to fit our system , theres no need to trade away picks , we can build our roster and fill it with talented homegrown players ....but if there is a veteran that could help us, and can be had for a draft pick, I'm sure Jim and trent wont hesitate to pull the trigger on a trade
I like the notion of trading later round picks for affordable veterans. But I would not favor trading high picks for current players, regardless of the talent of the veteran that we acquire. A lot of the trades mentioned in an earlier post happened pre-salary cap. Now, the most successful teams are those that build through the draft with rosters comprised of a mix of young and cheap talent and home-grown veterans.
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Not much. But he seems to be a starting caliber QB. Given the Skins lack of talent well everywhere they may want to trade for more picks. Many sites note Cousins will be traded but obviously the will get more for RGIII.

I'm not sure they would get considerably more for RGIII - his injury history and his size made the trade questionable in the first place. Don't see too many teams that would give up multiple picks for him. Cousins may warrant a 2nd round pick, but this is a good year for QBs in the draft and a buyer's market for trades so I'm guessing Washington keeps Cousins and licks its wounds from trading away its future for RGIII.
Holy s**t, i was one of the biggest supporters of a Gordon trade, but get over it already, never gonna happen anymore.
Originally posted by communist:
so they should trade away their only talent on the offense who happens to be a qb?

Yea that's why he's on the bench right now. Cause he's so talented missed that 1 ty for pointing it out.
Originally posted by midrdan:
I like the notion of trading later round picks for affordable veterans. But I would not favor trading high picks for current players, regardless of the talent of the veteran that we acquire. A lot of the trades mentioned in an earlier post happened pre-salary cap. Now, the most successful teams are those that build through the draft with rosters comprised of a mix of young and cheap talent and home-grown veterans.

12/17 of the trades were after the cap. Man you guys love to state opinions with out thinking. It because of the way we built the team through the draft that we can make moves like this.

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Holy s**t, i was one of the biggest supporters of a Gordon trade, but get over it already, never gonna happen anymore.

The Gordon trade post is somewhere else. Thanks
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I just hope that the team would use all the picks we have wisely.. New England was in the same scenario for years, and even with all the extra picks they had, they just couldn't land the right talent.. so many DBs were drafted and none of them had developed..

Personally, I think we should use the extra picks to trade up AFTER targeting a player.. We're now a contender and what we need to do is to add more talent to the team (first) then develop players (second).. This is what we did in the 80s and 90s.. We added veterans to our contending team, then develop draft picks for years to come..
  • buck
  • Veteran
There are a variety of ways that we can make good use of the numerous draft picks that we have.

The key thing is to use them well--it makes no difference if we use them to trade for players or to draft players.

[ Edited by buck on Dec 24, 2013 at 10:28 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:
There are a variety of ways that we can make good use of the numerous draft picks that we have.

The key thing is to use them well--it makes no difference if we use them to trade for players or use to draft players.

This
Ask yourself the question. why do the Niners or the Patriots accumulate all these draft picks? Bottom line, it's to bring in quality players that will cost much less than a veteran player because of the rookie wage scale. The Niners current roster is so talented that every other NFL team will try to sign their vets, especially if the Niners don't extend them before their rookie contracts expire. The Niners can choose to use these picks on a veteran player, but it kind of defeats the purpose of replacing their own AND saving money against the cap.
Share 49ersWebzone