LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 374 users in the forums

Kelvin Benjamin

Originally posted by x--OoO--x:
Originally posted by kronik:
If we draft him, he's our next Delanie Walker. I think they would use him as a TE. Since we drafted Vance with a high pick last year, I think we're gonna pass on him. As for being a WR, he doesn't supply what we lack, which is speed to stretch the field

No way this guy ends up a HB/TE. This guy is a stud WR, Julio Jones, comes to mind. Benjamin will have no trouble running deep routes and using his massive frame and jumping to get the ball.. period. He doesn't have to run 4.4, that's not his game. Making plays is his game.. PLAYMAKER!

I don't think he has enough speed or quickness to be a WR. Julio is way faster and quicker than Benjamin. Not sure why you even brought him up
If we draft him, he's our next Delanie Walker. I think they would use him as a TE. Since we drafted Vance with a high pick last year, I think we're gonna pass on him. As for being a WR, he doesn't supply what we lack, which is speed to stretch the field

No way this guy ends up a HB/TE. This guy is a stud WR, Julio Jones, comes to mind. Benjamin will have no trouble running deep routes and using his massive frame and jumping to get the ball.. period. He doesn't have to run 4.4, that's not his game. Making plays is his game.. PLAYMAKER!

I don't think he has enough speed or quickness to be a WR. Julio is way faster and quicker than Benjamin. Not sure why you even brought him up

I think we need more speed as well but c'mon, that's just ridiculous. Jerry Rice ran a 4.7, by your standards, he wouldn't be fast or quick enough to be a WR either. Boldin ran a 4.7, should he have been a TE too?
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Dec 14, 2013 at 12:50 PM ]

Bejamin has more similarities to Alshon Jefferey imo NOT fast but plays BIG
  • sfout
  • Veteran

dude you're getting crucified and rightly so. You do realize that Boldin ran a 4.72 and ended up being one of the best receivers to play the game right? (not hyping cause he's a 9er -- look at the records he has).

I found a FSU blog from spring 2012 and at 6'3 210 Benjamin was reportedly in the 4.4 40 range. 2 inches and 20+ pounds later with more muscle, more training he won't go anything past a mid 4.6.

More current blogs and draft sites are all guessimating that he is the 4.5/4.6 range which translates to "WE DON'T HAVE A F**KING CLUE HOW FAST HE IS!"

So what if he isn't a freak like Calvin Johnson, he'll still probably be pretty good to elite in the NFL, with a floor of Alshon and a ceiling of god willing AnQuan or Julio.

Also, Rivals.com says he reminds them of Plaxico Burress, Burress ran a 4.59 and could ball out so yea I'm going to trust my own eyes and rivals and say that Benjamin is probably going to be pretty damn good and run a sub 4.55.
[ Edited by sfout on Dec 14, 2013 at 1:45 PM ]
Why the hell aren't you "fsu fans" showing love to my seminole thread!??!!
FSU fan since Deion and William Floyd days! sign him up!
This guy just flat out attacks the football. I would love for us to draft this kid! I'll be interested to see where he is projected to go in the draft if he comes out.
[ Edited by Ohio49ersfan on Dec 14, 2013 at 2:58 PM ]
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
I think we need more speed as well but c'mon, that's just ridiculous. Jerry Rice ran a 4.7, by your standards, he wouldn't be fast or quick enough to be a WR either. Boldin ran a 4.7, should he have been a TE too?

So you list 2 greats that were slow but have other great skills. Of course there are exceptions. There are exceptions for everything in the world. But they're rare as hell. Just because Charles Barkley was a great short rebounder at power forward, do NBA teams draft power 6'6" power forwards?

Anyways, let's look at the best big WR's today. CJ, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, Brandon Marshall, Josh Gordon, D Thomas, Antonio Brown, Desean Jackson, Fitzgerald. All are either fast or fast for their size. Let's see what Benjamin runs before we talk further
[ Edited by kronik on Dec 14, 2013 at 7:50 PM ]
Originally posted by 9ertillidie:
Seen him play in Every game this year not just cause he's good but because I'm a huge FSU fan.best receiver this year in my opinion

yea, that title belongs to Sammy Watkins
Not sure with how we draft WRs, but he looks like a stud. He looks like he has long arms though. Trent loves that

So you list 2 greats that were slow but have other great skills. Of course there are exceptions. There are exceptions for everything in the world. But they're rare as hell. Just because Charles Barkley was a great short rebounder at power forward, do NBA teams draft power 6'6" power forwards?

Anyways, let's look at the best big WR's today. CJ, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, Brandon Marshall, Josh Gordon, D Thomas, Antonio Brown, Desean Jackson, Fitzgerald. All are either fast or fast for their size. Let's see what Benjamin runs before we talk further

Look at the last drafts best WR Keenan Allen and Alshon Jeffrey, both big WR with questionable speed. More of the norm than the exception IMO.

Plus drafting Benjamin, Roman might play 3WR at a time since he might be confused and think he is a TE at 6'5''
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Redshirt Sophomore, right?

Yes. He's eligible, although I haven't really heard anything about him entering the draft. My guess is he doesn't go anywhere until next year and then goes very high, considering another strong season + underclassmen declaring this year, inflating his 2015 stock.

I don't get this thinking anymore with the rookie cap. If im a college kid coming out I wanna go lower in the round and if I were he and had NFL aspirations I'd come out this year.
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
yea, that title belongs to Sammy Watkins

Yep, he's like a cross between Julio Jones and Tavon Austin. Scary potential
If he declares he will go top 10. By draft time this guy will be ranging around 4-7 pick and could be the steal considering. If Baalke made it happen and we had to pay, I wouldn't be mad.
if he really let easy catches drop, he won't be picked in the top10, imo.

since when is desean jackson a BIG receiver?
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Benjamin doesn't have the speed of Calvin, but he has every other asset. Could be a lot like Alshon Jeffery, except bigger.

Hence the term poor man's Calvin Johnson
Share 49ersWebzone