LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 203 users in the forums

Underclassmen declared for the draft as of 11/30

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
South Carolina junior WR Bruce Ellington will forgo his final season of eligibility and enter the NFL draft.

Ellington posted a huge game in the school's bowl win over Wisconsin, hauling in six passes for 140 yards and two touchdowns. If he was 50-50 on a decision prior to the game, that performance certainly did not hurt. Ellington, who also played basketball at South Carolina, appears to be in the third- to fourth-round range rather than a top-64 pick.

Source: Rixon Lane on Twitter

edit: I think he is the starting point guard on the basketball team.
How does or will this decision effect his status on the basketball team?

As far as I know he is revoking all sports eligibility with the NCAA by declaring.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:
As far as I know he is revoking all sports eligibility with the NCAA by declaring.

Underclassmen who do not sign with agents can change their minds and return to school.
If that is true, and I think it is, he should still be eligible until he signs with an agent.

Is it possible to train for the combine and play basketball?
[ Edited by buck on Jan 3, 2014 at 12:13 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Underclassmen who do not sign with agents can change their minds and return to school.
If that is true, and I think it is, he should still be eligible until he signs with an agent.

yea I figured that was a given understanding.

Hiring the agent completely eliminates a student athletes eligibility but I was just looking at it from a NCAA-wide perspective for multi-sport athletes.
Florida CB Marcus Roberson has officially declared.

• sfout
  • Veteran

Buck. Here is the official word from SC.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/03/south-carolinas-bruce-ellington-enters-nfl-draft-wont-return-to-basketball-team/

With his accomplishments on the football field and a college degree he completed last month, Ellington has decided to forego his final season of football eligibility to enter the 2014 NFL Draft. So what does any of this have to do with the basketball program?

The news also means that he won't be returning to the program as he did after each of the prior two football seasons."I would like to thank Coach Spurrier, Coach Horn and Coach Martin for giving me the opportunity to play both football and basketball at South Carolina," Ellington said in the school release. "I also want to thank all the Gamecock fans and my teammates for the past four years in Columbia. It's been a great experience and I've been truly blessed."

I have no problem with him declaring now after seeing that he completed his degree last semester.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Its officially official?

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/story/_/id/10240034/usc-trojans-wide-receiver-marqise-lee-enter-nfl-draft

Marqise Lee ✔ @TeamLee1
Follow
To all Trojan fans, I have decided to forego my senior season at USC and declare for the 2014 NFL Draft. I want to thank my coaches ...
IF he comes out, Vic Beasley is a top 15 pick.
Oregon St. DE/OLB Scott Crichton and LSU DT Ego Ferguson have declared.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Buck. Here is the official word from SC.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/03/south-carolinas-bruce-ellington-enters-nfl-draft-wont-return-to-basketball-team/

I have no problem with him declaring now after seeing that he completed his degree last semester.

Thank you for the information.

I had no idea that he had gotten his degree.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Missouri redshirt junior DL Kony Ealy will enter the NFL Draft.

Ealy received a third- to fourth-round projection prior to last year's draft, but his play improved this season and he could wind up as a top-20 selection. For a big frame he can win on the edge and offers some versatility to line up inside. The Dallas Cowboys could be very interested.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

I like Roberson, good size good speed and I think him being suspended with knee issues will drop him. Todd McShay has him as a late 1st-round pick, he had a horrible 2013 season and I think will drop him to the 3rd. Just my opinion and I hope the 9ers take him if he falls that far.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

I like Roberson, good size good speed and I think him being suspended with knee issues will drop him. Todd McShay has him as a late 1st-round pick, he had a horrible 2013 season and I think will drop him to the 3rd. Just my opinion and I hope the 9ers take him if he falls that far.

Not sure his season was horrible in terms of his play. Injuries definitely slowed him down and the suspension didn't help, but overall he played pretty well. When healthy, he's one of the better cover corners in the draft and that alone should make him a 2nd rounder (IMO).
Ryan Shazier declares, Braxton Miller staying at OSU.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10243773/ryan-shazier-nfl-draft-braxton-miller-return-ohio-state-buckeyes
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Brett Hundley reportedly staying at UCLA

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/college-football/story/_/id/10246277/brett-hundley-return-ucla-bruins
Moncrief declared, and OG Xavier Su'a-Filo also.
Share 49ersWebzone