LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 292 users in the forums

2014 49ers draft strategy

Originally posted by communist:
I am a guy who wanted to draft us a speedy guy but still speed is not everything. A guy who can create separation should be sufficient for the need you see...patton can do this.
just for the statistics: which guys do you have in mind?

At some point we will have to look at the receivers coach! It just seems like our WR's aren't coached up well enough.

Ginn actually looked like a decent WR last night with the panthers. Our guys tend to give up on their routes as soon as they feel any contact.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Speed alone for the threat of it, just as Baltimore has Torrey Smith...etc, a defense has to adjust for a true deep threat at receiver, there's a variety of guys in this draft who can fit that role, some true burners, others who are faster, bigger receivers who present major vertical threats, if you look around on the draft forum, there's plenty of discussion about guys like Odell Beckham and others who look to be big time receivers in the NFL.
But I've asked you Tell me two or three names which YOU want us to keep an eye on.
But I've asked you Tell me two or three names which YOU want us to keep an eye on.

Odell Beckham, Paul Richardson, Robert Herron, Donte Moncrief, Sammy Watkins.
WR here, WR there...probably, boldin, crabs, MM and patton will be on next year's roster. furthermore, we got VD. wait, baldwin is also still here.
thats enough, no need to.take another WR high unless someone special falls down.

we will need a SS and center badly. given the contract situation of our CBs, another CB should be picked.
thus, WR should have a much lower priority than asked in this thread.

Not this. lol.

We NEED to draft two WRs. I am sooo sick of these WR problems.
our best WRs are injured not underperforming.
if we stay with boldin, crabs, MM, patton and baldwin, i dont see a dire need for a WR, and surely not for two. and like i said, we still got vernon.

crabs, boldin and davis on the field. baldwin, patton and some unimportant dude back them up.

No way. We avoided adding more depth to the receiving core this season and look where it's gotten us.

There are only three receivers signed for next season and they are: Crabtree (contract ends in 2015), Patton, and Baldwin. We might not be able to retain both Boldin AND MM, likely one or the other. And Boldin is in his twilight years. So my point is, WR is a pretty significant need.

One injury to either one of those guys and we're back in the same position we are in now. We have got to be more progressive finding quality depth during the draft and free agency, not only for next year but the future. We need to find and begin developing a possible #2 WR to compliment Crabtree. I want a complete receiving core, I'm sick of all the instability and all the problems that has plagued the 49ers when it comes to receivers for the past decade. We're going to need to draft at least 1 receiver early, maybe two. Nothing less.
As if no other team would have problems if their #1WR goes down...What are you dreaming of??? Either we hire another expensive receiver or we draft one and HOPE that he will help us from day one.

This year we lost three of our receivers effectivelly. No draft in the world could have helped us out of this dilemma. And no other team would have managed this problem significantly better.
Now, our pass protection fails sometimes, Kap seems to be in the sophomore slump and LIKE EXPECTED the remaining WRs, besides Boldin (and Davis), play like s**t. Thanks to that, panic is spread around and now we have to draft at least one WR if not two.

I'm sick of overreactions.
Even if Boldin is in his twilight years, he is still experienced. That guy is a very good #3WR next year. I do even assume that we can extend MM and Boldin...Don't see any good arguments on their side. Boldin will be 34 next season, he hasnt got the bargaining power to demand much money. MM is coming from a huge injury, he was down for almost a year. IF he produces nice numbers, he could become expensive but that is a very big IF b/c he wasnt THAT significant in his career yet.

Just because some guys are tired of the injuries to our key receivers, it doesnt mean that we should make a run for a WR as long as we got more pressing needs.

Though, the draft will be loaded with a lot of talent at CB and SS class seems NOT to be top-heavy anyway. Given, that we will have two 2nd-round picks, a jump for a high-class WR in the first round would be ok.
[ Edited by communist on Nov 20, 2013 at 5:47 AM ]
rounds 1-4 pick WR's ...one is bound to catch on....
No , it's not overreaction. You just don't seem to get it.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
imho, there are some Arguments in my last post.
you can try to counteract them...but keep your pain or your feelings out of it, plz.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
imho, there are some Arguments in my last post.
you can try to counteract them...but keep your pain or your feelings out of it, plz.

We will know before the draft if Boldin or Manningham have been re-signed or if we have signed a significant receiver in free agency.

• buck
  • Veteran
What we are going to do in the draft will depend on who we extend before the season ends and what we do in free agency. The extension given to Brock reduces,to some degree, our need at corner back.

Going into next year, we have four signed cornerbacks.

1. Culliver
2. Brock
3. Morris
4. Carlos Rogers

We could still re-sign Eric Wright and/or T. Brown.
[ Edited by buck on Nov 23, 2013 at 2:57 AM ]
brock's extension does indeed reduce the need for another CB.
furthermore, the cb-class is deep this year, thus we can wait until round 2 or even 3.
Share 49ersWebzone