LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 302 users in the forums

2014 49ers draft strategy

1. Matthews WR-- Boldin replacement. Possession receiver, cousin of Jerry Rice
2a. Exum S-- Whitner replacement. Defensive leader on one of the country's top pass defenses. Weighs 220 and played safety for 2 years, always around the ball.
2b. Moncrief WR-- Manningham replacement. Deep threat, Larry Fitzgerald size with 4.4 speed.
3a. Easley DT-- Torn ACL, former first round prospect drops due to injury concerns. Will provide better depth than Dobbs or Okoye.
3b. Watkins CB-- Brown replacement. Like Cooper, a talented corner buried on the depth chart behind more celebrated corners.
4. Morgan Moses-- Big, strong, agile lineman who has lined up at both LT and RT. Would be able to fill in for LG, RG, RT in a power run scheme.
5. Logan Thomas QB-- Physically imposing QB with a lot of upside.

Re-sign Osgood, Brock, McCoy
With 7 picks in the first 4 rounds, they need to walk away with a few starters several years from now. Who are the next Bowman and Cully?
I'd be fine with a Kicker in the 5th or even 4th.
Originally posted by btthepunk:

Not a single kicker that's worth it IMO. I would take Santos, but not until the 6th round.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Not a single kicker that's worth it IMO. I would take Santos, but not until the 6th round.

Ah. Didn't know much about the kickers coming out next year. I think we still need to find a good young kicker though that will be around for a long time.
Brandin Cooks. Speed kills and this kid is a TD waiting to happen. Watched him a couple times and he was great, tonight was doubled by Stanford alot of the time and still had 9 grabs and 80 yards and a TD (plus 3 rushes for 18 yards and 3 punt returns for an average of 24.7 a return). Oregon State literally has no one else to go to and Stanford knew that, and he still got open to make catches.

He reminds me of a mix of Desean Jackson and Antonio Brown.
[ Edited by Travisty13 on Oct 26, 2013 at 11:33 PM ]
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Brandin Cooks. Speed kills and this kid is a TD waiting to happen. Watched him a couple times and he was great, tonight was doubled by Stanford alot of the time and still had 9 grabs and 80 yards and a TD (plus 3 rushes for 18 yards and 3 punt returns for an average of 24.7 a return). Oregon State literally has no one else to go to and Stanford knew that, and he still got open to make catches.

He's pure electricity out on the football field. He's not very big but he fights for every reception, goes all out. And as you mentioned, teams are coming into games, knowing they have to shut him down and still being unable to do so.
IMO the 49ers have plenty of depth @ CB for next year with Brown, Culliver, Brock and Wright. However, I could see drafting a small, quick guy who can match up with the Percy Harvins and Tavon Austins of the NFL, possibly in the later rounds of the draft.

D-Line depth has been an ongoing problem the last two years. You have to figure Justin Smith is facing a reduced snap count next season. Caradine, who at one point in his adult life weighed 220 lbs. (http://www.buckeyeplanet.com/forum/threads/11-juco-de-cornelius-tank-carradine-florida-state-signee.606056/) seems more like a situational pass rusher to me. They need a big guy who can soak up blocks to adequately replace Justin. If Quinton Dial works out, that problem is solved, but who knows at this point. So maybe trade up for Louis Nix or Anthony Johnson although that may be a tad expensive. But, this is the season to do it, the 49ers have the ammo to trade up.

And of course they need a top flight WR to take advantage of CK's deep passing ability. I get the feeling they're going to rush Crabtree back and he'll never be quite right again, kinda like they did to Jerry Rice back in 97 after that fat slob Warren Sapp facemasked him and caused the knee injury. And as brilliant as Boldin has been, after 32 you just never know how long a guy is going to make it. You can get a perfectly good WR in the second round like Jordan Matthews, Brandon Coleman or Devin Street.

Then get a backup OT and lots of BPAs and I'm one happy camper.
Originally posted by Travisty13:

If his 40 time of 4.53 is accurate, I wouldnt put him in the burner category. If never watch him, but reading his scouting reports, he sounds more like Steve Smith than Tavon Austin or Desean Jackson. A small possession receiver who goes up and fights for the ball.

If the Niners could get him as the 2nd WR the drafted, 3-5th round, he sounds very intriguing. Im just cautious about small WR who arent FAST after the Brandon Williams pick years ago.
whatever plan has us taking a few WRs in the top end of the draft with size and speed im down for. that is pur only glaring weakness. get a SS and line depth with the rest of the picks and were golden. with all those picks and how stacked this roster is we should be moving up to get key upgrades to make another superbowl run. the last few years of good drafting have set us up extremely well to be good for a long time and this years draft will put us over the top for a while. i expect the niners to be among the most talented teams in the league for a very long time

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Seems like the best kickers are always undrafted. Those top name guys in the 4-7th usually don't turn out as well as they should. I wouldn't count on a kicker though guys we haven't drafted one since 2002 in the 4th round (Jeff Chandler). Also, haven't drafted a CB in the 1st since 2002 so maybe it's the year we do both again. I think we will stick with Dawson on another 1 year deal for 1.x million. He's 9/12 really 9/11 (long free kick doesnt count to me). Helps we haven't needed him lately (been nice tds and not fg's) but we will see how he does the rest of the way once we start needing him again and in pressure situations. If we don't go with Dawson seems like we would go with another vet before a rookie.

So anyways looks like our picks are set: 1, 2, 2 KC, 3 TEN, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 7 CAR, 7 INDY, 7 NO

Let's see if we get a 3rd round comp for Goldson. Ginn playing well could help out. Walker, Sopoaga, RJF, etc might be cancelled out. I'd be happy to get a 3rd for Goldson. Either way whatever we get is gravy with all the picks we have.

Could very well not pick with one of those 2nds or 3rds and turn it into a 1st or 2nd next year. That or the same round and get an extra mid round pick on top of it. If most or some of our CBs and WRs are back might free up one of of those picks to trade.

Anyways, a lot depends on if Brown, Rogers (paycut), Brock, Cox, Wright, Boldin, Manningham, Whitner are back but I still think CB, WR and SS are the top 3 needs. Then I'd say 3rd T (could be Marquardt?), DE/NT (depends on Williams, Carradine & Dial), C/G Combo. Then 3rd QB, maybe OLB and maybe kicker.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 29, 2013 at 8:48 PM ]
Originally posted by CasBanaszek:
IMO the 49ers have plenty of depth @ CB for next year with Brown, Culliver, Brock and Wright. However, I could see drafting a small, quick guy who can match up with the Percy Harvins and Tavon Austins of the NFL, possibly in the later rounds of the draft.

D-Line depth has been an ongoing problem the last two years. You have to figure Justin Smith is facing a reduced snap count next season. Caradine, who at one point in his adult life weighed 220 lbs. (http://www.buckeyeplanet.com/forum/threads/11-juco-de-cornelius-tank-carradine-florida-state-signee.606056/) seems more like a situational pass rusher to me. They need a big guy who can soak up blocks to adequately replace Justin. If Quinton Dial works out, that problem is solved, but who knows at this point. So maybe trade up for Louis Nix or Anthony Johnson although that may be a tad expensive. But, this is the season to do it, the 49ers have the ammo to trade up.

And of course they need a top flight WR to take advantage of CK's deep passing ability. I get the feeling they're going to rush Crabtree back and he'll never be quite right again, kinda like they did to Jerry Rice back in 97 after that fat slob Warren Sapp facemasked him and caused the knee injury. And as brilliant as Boldin has been, after 32 you just never know how long a guy is going to make it. You can get a perfectly good WR in the second round like Jordan Matthews, Brandon Coleman or Devin Street.

Then get a backup OT and lots of BPAs and I'm one happy camper.

Lol. Culliver is the only CB you mentioned that is under contract next year. As for the message board link about Tank, if you read it, they're talking about him in high school smh.
Originally posted by mtminer:
Lol. Culliver is the only CB you mentioned that is under contract next year. As for the message board link about Tank, if you read it, they're talking about him in high school smh.

If you read my post carefully, you'll see I didn't say 'college', I carefully chose the term 'adult life': I'm assuming he was 18 at the time he weighed 220. That's a long way from 290, which everyone just assumes he's going to weigh. I don't think it's healthy to go way above your natural weight, it's not a recipe for NFL longevity.

You have to figure the 49ers will retain at least 3 of the 4 CBs mentioned. How many CBs does a team need? I agree there's a need for a quick, slot CB, and mentioned that in my post. I just feel they need DL and WR more than CB. Which really was the main point of the post.
1st- CB
2nd- WR
2nd- OT
3rd- NT/DT
3rd- WR
3rd- SS
4th- WR/return man
5th- C/OG
6th- QB
7th- DE/OLB
7th- TE/FB
7th- CB
7th- K
We should package some picks to move up in the draft, maybe try to get into the 2nd round again , three 2nd round picks would go a long way towards adding the right pieces to strengthen our roster
Share 49ersWebzone