LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 289 users in the forums

Baalke needs to get over himself

Yeah, Baalke's lost it. That Reid pick was a total whiff. Did not fill a hole this year, nope

Baalke is awesome. It's the current team that needs to pull their heads out of their asses.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Baalke is awesome. It's the current team that needs to pull their heads out of their asses.

THIS

I don't know what's wrong with this team, but it's not the roster.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
WR wasn't an issue, we had Crabs healthy, not till May is when he hurt his leg. Or we probably would of drafted a WR higher.

That is exactly Baalke's issue. In this league you need to plan for injuries.

Do you honestly think Crab and Boldin, a 32-year old WR were going to be the future of the 49ers receiving corps for years to come ?!

Baalke never learnt his lesson, last year God already showed him what it would be like with 2 WRs down. In other words, you can't just wait till injuries happen and go crap I should have drafted a WR higher. You need to bring in enough high picks to develop them so in case of injuries happen these budding young stars can step up without a major drop-off in performance.

What Baalke needs to do is wake the hell up and recognize the importance of the WR position. Don't just draft 1 receiver when his hit rate is so embarrassingly low. Draft 2 or more WRs until the situation is under control. We had the same discussion when Mario and KW went down, then we had yet another discussion when Crab went down and now we are having the same discussion again cos the FAs he brought in can't step up.

This is not a kid's card game like "hey, look at me I have so many more cards than you, hehehe" nonsense !! Stockpiling draft picks in isolation is pointless unless you make full and proper use of them.

I see no reason to believe that Baalke thought that Crabs and Boldin would be our receiving future for years to come. But, with Manningham, Jenkins, Williams and others, Patton looked a reasonable solution for the year ahead allowing other needs also to be addressed. Losing two of your three best receivers and finding that last years first round is a bust is above and beyond.
[ Edited by English on Sep 23, 2013 at 8:40 AM ]
2012 draft was a bust....2013 draft he selects four players with major injuries...
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
WR wasn't an issue, we had Crabs healthy, not till May is when he hurt his leg. Or we probably would of drafted a WR higher.

Do you honestly think Crab and Boldin, a 32-year old WR were going to be the future of the 49ers receiving corps for years to come ?!

Baalke never learnt his lesson, last year God already showed him what it would be like with 2 WRs down. In other words, you can't just wait till injuries happen and go crap I should have drafted a WR higher. You need to bring in enough high picks to develop them so in case of injuries happen these budding young stars can step up without a major drop-off in performance.

What Baalke needs to do is wake the hell up and recognize the importance of the WR position. Don't just draft 1 receiver when his hit rate is so embarrassingly low. Draft 2 or more WRs until the situation is under control. We had the same discussion when Mario and KW went down, then we had yet another discussion when Crab went down and now we are having the same discussion again cos the FAs he brought in can't step up.

This is not a kid's card game like "hey, look at me I have so many more cards than you, hehehe" nonsense !! Stockpiling draft picks in isolation is pointless unless you make full and proper use of them.

I see no reason to believe that Baalke thought that Crabs and Boldin would be our receiving future for years to come. But, with Manningham, Jenkins, Williams and others, Patton looked a reasonable solution for the year ahead allowing other needs also to be addressed. Losing two of your three best receivers and finding that last years first round is a bust is above and beyond.

That just goes to show Baalke is way short-sighted with his WR plans. He already knew Mario was down before the draft and obviously he was banking on Crab and Anquan for this season, but once again he failed to plan for further injuries. In any given season, to plan for 2 WR injuries is a fair a number, he never thought about what if those 2 happen to be one of our key receivers and as it happened Crab went down even before the start of the season. To cap that off, Jenkins turned out to be a bust and whose fault was that ? Patton as a 4th round pick is OK and we are still waiting to see what he can do while Mario will not be back until week 7 the earliest. Seriously, does that sound like a solid plan to you ?!
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Louisiana49er:
2012 draft was a bust....2013 draft he selects four players with major injuries...

No kidding. Baalke is way overrated.

Originally posted by gunslinger8:
So we used half our picks on guys that can't even play this year? Exactly how long does this guy think our window will be open for?
I find this post humorous. Instead of drafting for need, he drafted best player available, regardless of how much immediate impact they would have (i.e. drafting players who may not play this year). If you ask me, that's setting the team up for long-term success. I'd argue that his strategy is lengthening the amount of time that window is open for.

You dont need to plan on injuries. We had talent at WR, like said, we all had hope Jenkins would turn around. So he didnt we made a bad pick, only 1 bad pick Baalke has made in the 1st 2 rounds. I dont blame him on Mays, that was Singeltary's pick.

We had Crabs and Boldin, who is damn fine for a 32 yr old WR. Why people think when you hit 30 you are overrated, or old and outdated is beyond me.

Baalke did his job fine, and has been for 3+ years, dont blame him, blame the players, and coaches. This is same as Nolan and Singletary eras. We should of blamed Alex, Nolan and Sing and not all on McCoughan.

And there is nothing wrong in stockpiling picks, look how well The Pats did it. Got a lot of quality guys with those extra picks. Walsh did it. He traded up and down all the time.

Just because 1 bad pick(2012) doesn't mean he is at fault. If anyone is, to me, it's the coaches, for not having enough faith in Jenkins, and giving Kyle "Frigging, I suck at PRs and WR" Williams playing time as #2. Let Baldwin and Patton play. They cant be much worse than Williams and Moore.

I pray to god, Williams is cut soon, same for Dixon and Moore. All 3 are horrible. A pitch to Dixon, thats on Roman and Harbs. Slowest back on roster, who does great against 3rd stringers, but s**t against starters. Reason why he should never get a carry.

Originally posted by English:

That just goes to show Baalke is way short-sighted with his WR plans. He already knew Mario was down before the draft and obviously he was banking on Crab and Anquan for this season, but once again he failed to plan for further injuries. In any given season, to plan for 2 WR injuries is a fair a number, he never thought about what if those 2 happen to be one of our key receivers and as it happened Crab went down even before the start of the season. To cap that off, Jenkins turned out to be a bust and whose fault was that ? Patton as a 4th round pick is OK and we are still waiting to see what he can do while Mario will not be back until week 7 the earliest. Seriously, does that sound like a solid plan to you ?!

Why do you bash Baalke, but not the players or coaches? Stop acting like it's always the GMs fault. Cause it's not. No one knew Crabs would get hurt. So what Jenkins was a bust, but he will lay fine in KC now IMO. So we jumped the gun on that one too quick IMO. We wanted to move salary, not develop.

Mario we thought would make a recovery, so he didn't. We had chances to get other WRs. FAs maybe, but they got overpaid. Wallace isnt worth 60M, no one would trade a top WR for a low 1st.

We made right pick in Reid. Would never pay an overrated Goldson 40M+.
Originally posted by theduke85:
Originally posted by gunslinger8:
So we used half our picks on guys that can't even play this year? Exactly how long does this guy think our window will be open for?
I find this post humorous. Instead of drafting for need, he drafted best player available, regardless of how much immediate impact they would have (i.e. drafting players who may not play this year). If you ask me, that's setting the team up for long-term success. I'd argue that his strategy is lengthening the amount of time that window is open for.

Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:

This. Give me a break. Rather have McCloughan? Drunk b*****d, who didn't do his job when he was suppose to. Or let the HC be GM like Nolan was, and failed. Gave big deals to players who were busts, Jonas Jennings, Michael Lewis, and Nate Clements.

Also, not at you Chip, at Rascal.
Resigning Willis, Bowman, Anthony Davis, Lee, Justin, Ray Mac - not too bad either.
I have NO problem with last years draft at all. I think it was a homerun actually. However, I would like to see the Niners move up this year to grab Marquis Lee or Sammy Watkins. They have the chips to do it and it would make sense this year.
Share 49ersWebzone