LISTEN: The 49ers Pick Is In! →

There are 377 users in the forums

Mike Evans WR Texas A&M

I'm slowly becoming a Mike Evans believer. What is really going to work well for Evans in the NFL is he has elite ability to grab the ball anywhere around his large frame and make the catch.

I think a possible red flag though is his lack of intermediate/short passes and timing passes.
I think this guy will be a beast in the pros… but he won't be around for us to draft late in the first.
He looks the part. You don't dominate in the SEC like he did and not be talented. Williams took advantage of the weak PAC ten.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Interesting discussion. I think that Evans will get drafted pretty high if he declares--and I imagine that he will.

By pretty high, I mean that I think that he will be drafted way before we pick. At this point, I would not be willing to pay the price of moving up to get him.

But, I am paying attention to the discussion and my perspective could change. I am higher on him now than I was at the beginning of the season.
Evans is definitely talented, you can make the argument that he made Manziel better than he is from all the balls he just threw up and Evans came down with. Personally I take Benjamin all day over him if we want size at WR, with that being said, I'd still be happy with Evans
  • buck
  • Veteran
[b]
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Evans is definitely talented, you can make the argument that he made Manziel better than he is from all the balls he just threw up and Evans came down with. Personally I take Benjamin all day over him if we want size at WR, with that being said, I'd still be happy with Evans

Size,or speed for that matter, does not mean squat. Quality has meaning.

We need quality receivers. If they are midgets or giants makes little difference.

At this point, the only wide receiver that I want us to take is Jeff Janis--and I want him as our second or third wide receiver pick--and I want him in the 3rd or 4th round. Janis happens to have both speed and size.

Evans, Lee, Watkins, Matthews, Beckham, Landry, Moncrief, Robinson, and Benjamin are possibilities as our early pick or picks, but I have not been able to separate one from the rest.

But, the draft is not tomorrow; we do have time.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Here is a bit on Evans from CBS

Like his famous quarterback Johnny Manziel, Evans is just a redshirt sophomore, but he has a big decision to make after dominating the SEC most of the season. Deceptively fast and possessing great body control as well as timing, Evans is an exciting split end prospect who reminds scouts of Tampa Bay Buccaneers star Vincent Jackson. Of concern, however, is the fact that Evans struggled in his final two regular-season games, catching just eight passes for a combined 59 yards in losses to LSU and Missouri.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/24387479/big-board-uscs-lee-gets-lift-from-bowl-game-carr-not-so-much
Seems like a good draft pick if we could get him..
well he has long ass arms... welcome to the 49ers!
35 1/8" ARMS... 2 inches larger than Calvin Johnson

Long arms, but still slow and not explosive. We don't need another possession receiver people. We need someone who can take the top off a defense and/or a shifty mofo who can tear it up in the slot.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Long arms, but still slow and not explosive. We don't need another possession receiver people. We need someone who can take the top off a defense and/or a shifty mofo who can tear it up in the slot.

I agree - I think Benjamin/Bryant could take the top off defenses running go routes - Benjamin would require a trade up, but Bryant should be there in the late 2nd/3rd round and we have the luxury of developing him in we resign Boldin. Watkins could really do both, but he may cost too much. Benjamin may also cost too much if he runs anywhere close to what he's predicting in the 40.

Also, Benjamin's hands are 5/8" bigger than Evans' and I'd take that over the extra 1/4" arms. Evans is the better jump ball receiver and maybe more NFL ready now, but Benjamin is likely the better athlete and may fit better with Kaepernick who doesn't throw lobs as often as Manziel.
Well I just watched Evans run a 4.47

I didn't know he was that fast, I have a new favorite.
At this point I would try and get Evans before Benjamin.
Yeah, Evans will go top 10 potentially though which may be out of the range we're willing to trade up to. Benjamin would also require trading up, but we would give up less. I'm just surprised Benjamin was saying he could run a 4.3 when he clearly can't.
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch RT @ChronBrianSmith: Texas A&M WR Mike Evans met with #Patriots and #49ers in last 24 hours. << Potential top 10-15 pick.
Share 49ersWebzone