LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

2014 draft outlook

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Jordan Matthews and Justin Gilbert, that's all our 9ers need right there, trade away all the other picks and just go home.
Updating draft needs: Not going to make predictions on who we will select but I will say I expect a secondary heavy draft early. With Brown, Asomugha, Cox and Brock all being FA's after this year and Rogers probably getting cut after this season unless he restructures we could have a major need at CB. Brown could very well be gone since he can get more money elsewhere. Could leave Culliver or Culliver/Rogers as the only ones on the roster. So I expect 1-2 CB's taken in the first 2-3 rounds. Seems like Whitner will be gone as well. Like CB WR will depend on who is back.. Boldin, Manningham, Williams and Moore. If all are gone could be 2nd round need, if Boldin is back and maybe one of the others could be 3rd. Depending on if Kilgore is ready or not center could be a high need as well with Goodwin likely being gone.

Likely Main Needs: CB, SS, WR
Likely Depth Needs: OL (3rd T, C/G?), DE/NT?, 3rd QB

How I See Draft Going (Assuming KC 8-8 or Better):
1.CB/SS 2.CB/SS (whatever not taken in 1st) 2.CB 3.WR 3.C/WR/DL/OL/Trade
1.CB/SS 2.CB/SS (whatever not taken in 1st) 2.WR 3.CB 3.C/WR/DL/OL/Trade
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 17, 2013 at 9:54 PM ]
  • KK49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
with the first overall pick, the san francisco 49ers select..........................

This left tackle

Damn, that's a huge baby.

That's a baby??
I bet he plays for Alabama
  • KK49
  • Veteran
I think number one need is safety. ( may be wright will be good at CB) we need to move up again and find another E. Reid.. then cb or wr .
Major Needs:
CB - Only Rogers and Culliver are under contract after this year. Brown, Asomugha, Cox, Brock are all FA's. Rogers will likely have to restructure or get cut. I think we try to re-sign Brown but he could go elsewhere for more money. Could leave just Culliver under contract for 2014. I could see Cox back as well. I think we have to double dip early if Brown and/or Rogers is gone.

SS - Whitner could be gone after this season. Don't think Spillman or Dahl are the future. Likely round 1 or 2 need.

WR - Manningham, Williams, Boldin, Moore are all free agents after this year. Leaves us with Crabtree, Baldwin and Patton for next year. Depending on who is back could be a need by round 3 or earlier.

C? - Goodwin will likely be gone to save money and get younger. Depending on if they believe in Kilgore or not could be a high need.

Possible Depth Needs:
DE/NT, 3rd T, 3rd QB

Potential Outlook: 1.WR/CB 2.SS 2.WR/CB (whatever not taken in 1st) 3.CB 3.WR 3.DL/OL/C? (Goldson Comp?)
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 27, 2013 at 2:51 PM ]
This teams biggest need is a MONSTER defensive end like a JJ Watt type player. Don't count on this "Tank'" person we keep hearing about. Our deline never gets breathers. I've been b***hing about this since last December when I 1st joined this forum. I just don't get it?? Why didn't Baalke sign a couple more bodies to go with the Dorsey signing?? And WTF did he draft this "Tank" person I keep hearing about draft him so dang high at #40 overall if he wasn't gonna contribute this season???? This team is built to win now.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
This teams biggest need is a MONSTER defensive end like a JJ Watt type player. Don't count on this "Tank'" person we keep hearing about. Our deline never gets breathers. I've been b***hing about this since last December when I 1st joined this forum. I just don't get it?? Why didn't Baalke sign a couple more bodies to go with the Dorsey signing?? And WTF did he draft this "Tank" person I keep hearing about draft him so dang high at #40 overall if he wasn't gonna contribute this season???? This team is built to win now.

This Tank guy was considered a top 20 talent. And was really a steal at 40. I dont know why we didn't sign anyone, but fact is we dont have the cap space to sign a big name, or impact veteran.

No one on this roster has a big base salary that would restructure. Vernon Davis, Carlos Rogers do, but aren't allowed to until November due to NFL and CBA rules.

Only really, Boldin, Brooks, and Gore could. Don't see them asking those 3 to take a cut in salary or restructure just yet.

Boldin is the most logical, but he already has made over $1.058M in base salary checks. So he has a little under 5M left in salary that can be restructured. We saw guys do it in offseason, Justin did it, Willis did it. Ray Mac did it last november. Guys at the minimum cant go lower. Only hopes of getting cap room is by having guys miss games, like Vernon(has $400K roster bonus tied to per gameday active 46 man roster), same for Willis($750K roster bonus, will lose a game check if he isnt active). A ton of guys have that in their deals. Crabtree does. He has $245K in that type, started sunday, gained $17,500, per game that he misses.

I know some wanted Rogers to take a pay cut, and the reports were the team did too, but before Culliver went down, now they have no leverage. His base is 100% guaranteed, and can't be cut to gain room.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

This Tank guy was considered a top 20 talent. And was really a steal at 40. I dont know why we didn't sign anyone, but fact is we dont have the cap space to sign a big name, or impact veteran.

No one on this roster has a big base salary that would restructure. Vernon Davis, Carlos Rogers do, but aren't allowed to until November due to NFL and CBA rules.

Only really, Boldin, Brooks, and Gore could. Don't see them asking those 3 to take a cut in salary or restructure just yet.

Boldin is the most logical, but he already has made over $1.058M in base salary checks. So he has a little under 5M left in salary that can be restructured. We saw guys do it in offseason, Justin did it, Willis did it. Ray Mac did it last november. Guys at the minimum cant go lower. Only hopes of getting cap room is by having guys miss games, like Vernon(has $400K roster bonus tied to per gameday active 46 man roster), same for Willis($750K roster bonus, will lose a game check if he isnt active). A ton of guys have that in their deals. Crabtree does. He has $245K in that type, started sunday, gained $17,500, per game that he misses.

I know some wanted Rogers to take a pay cut, and the reports were the team did too, but before Culliver went down, now they have no leverage. His base is 100% guaranteed, and can't be cut to gain room.

How in the hell do you remember all of this? Damn man.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by frozen49er:

That's why he is AB.
Originally posted by fropwns:
Originally posted by frozen49er:

That's why he is AB.

Indeed, I eat, and sleep Football, and Salary Cap. My thing.

Share 49ersWebzone