There are 166 users in the forums

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

No one really talks about Allan Robinson anymore...did he get bad since the season? His measureables are good. What happened to him in this board's eyes?
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I think that says a lot about Matthews' 40 time. We all know his work ethic is top shelf, but he's not nearly as fast as Bryant and Reece (Reese?), like his time would indicate.

I think Landry will be fine. Reported hammy injury, out of position starting stance, and reams of positive game film all limit the effect of one silly test on his stock. I wouldn't be surprised if it dropped him out of the first, in a class this stacked, but I'd be stunned if he isn't gone before the end of day 2.

Agree with this, which is the only concern I have for Matthews...but he was not known for being a fast receiver anyway, so I'm still a big fan of his overall game. Landry is another favorite of mine so would love to see either on the niners. I realize that speed is needed so hope they take at least two receivers--a Beckham/Cooks type and a Matthews/Landry type. There seem to be a few really fast guys predicted for the 3-4 rounds, so perhaps if Matthews falls to them...

Yeah, there are so many good WR options in this draft that it is hard to decide who I want. I want us to draft at least 2, and prepare for the departure of Boldin (and Crab?), but also add speed to the passing offense. I wanted Moncrief and Bryant, Matthews and Ellington (or Herron), Benjamin (if he falls to the 2nd) and Richardson/Archer/Reese, Beckham and Landry... ugh, too many good guys. Thing is, we can take a risk on a talented boom/bust guy, if we get a guy who can play early. Since Crab and Q can both do damage from the slot (Boldin was a slot MONSTER for the Ravens) we can get the best guy inside or out to help right away, and let the physical stud develop and learn. That makes a guy like Latimer or Bryant interesting. Exciting times to be a 49er fan!

I'm greedy. And I'm tired of watching us lose big games because top notch Ds are able to take away our few real receiving threats.

I want us to draft 3 WRs.

That's right. THREE.

And not late round guys either. We need a real infusion of WR talent on this team. Not only are we short of it now, we don't know who we're going to be able to keep in the coming years. Coming away from this draft with multiple WRs capable of becoming starters would avoid so many potential problems. I like Crabtree and I want him signed long term. But I would rather have other viable options when we negotiate so we don't get worked.

What I really want is for us to have enough WR threats that Crabtree can face single coverage often, put up some big numbers, and stay here because he wants to, not for the money.

So, all that being said, the guys are want are:

Benjamin
Moncrief or Bryant
Ellington

That would give us a guy with elite big play potential (think Alshon Jeffery), a guy with speed and toughness (think Ruben Randle), and fearless slot/return man with speed (I think he could be something like Eddy Royal when he's playing well).

I know at least half of you will think I'm nuts, so bring on the flaming.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
i see nothing in ellington's game that says he can't play well in the nfl. i'd take him in the late 2nd because he can lock down the slot for years.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by xcfan:
i see nothing in ellington's game that says he can't play well in the nfl. i'd take him in the late 2nd because he can lock down the slot for years.

This.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
no way in hell donte moncrief will be better than cooks. especially on this years team.
Originally posted by fan49:
no way in hell donte moncrief will be better than cooks. especially on this years team.

He will be better in the NFL, Cooks is a product of the system he played in.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

regardless of who we take, i'm sure it'll be the wrong choice. Seattle will take the right guy.

You're crazy. Cooks is a product of pure speed and quickness that enabled him to beat coverage. Cooks will start as a rookie. Moncrief may never start.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by strickac:

You're crazy. Cooks is a product of pure speed and quickness that enabled him to beat coverage. Cooks will start as a rookie. Moncrief may never start.

I saw a Cooks interview yesterday on game pass.

I am sure that he and the interviewers talked about the fact that he played in a pro style offense.

He also said that in college he had to learn the route tree; that learning routes was part of playing in that system.

[ Edited by buck on Apr 7, 2014 at 5:15 PM ]
Originally posted by Murphys1:
No one really talks about Allan Robinson anymore...did he get bad since the season? His measureables are good. What happened to him in this board's eyes?

He's cool, just too many good WR, and he's kinda a Matthews with less production/strength and a little more wiggle.

• DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by strickac:

He will be better in the NFL, Cooks is a product of the systemhe played in.

You're crazy. Cooks is a product of pure speed and quicknessthat enabled him to beat coverage. Cooks will start as a rookie. Moncrief may never start.

I saw a Cooks interview yesterday on game pass.

I am sure that he and the interviewers talked about the fact that he played in a pro style offense.

He also said that in college he had to learn to the route tree; that learning routes was part of playing in that system.

This.
[ Edited by DeUh on Apr 7, 2014 at 5:04 PM ]
  • Andra
  • Veteran

Cooks was the only real weapon for Oregon St , defenses new were the ball going and still never shut him down completely . Oregon triple teamed him and he still had 9 or 10 receptions .Not to mention he didn't have the best QB tossing him passes. That being said I still prefer Bruce Ellington
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I'm greedy. And I'm tired of watching us lose big games because top notch Ds are able to take away our few real receiving threats.

I want us to draft 3 WRs.

That's right. THREE.

And not late round guys either. We need a real infusion of WR talent on this team. Not only are we short of it now, we don't know who we're going to be able to keep in the coming years. Coming away from this draft with multiple WRs capable of becoming starters would avoid so many potential problems. I like Crabtree and I want him signed long term. But I would rather have other viable options when we negotiate so we don't get worked.

What I really want is for us to have enough WR threats that Crabtree can face single coverage often, put up some big numbers, and stay here because he wants to, not for the money.

Benjamin
Moncrief or Bryant
Ellington

That would give us a guy with elite big play potential (think Alshon Jeffery), a guy with speed and toughness (think Ruben Randle), and fearless slot/return man with speed (I think he could be something like Eddy Royal when he's playing well).

I'd be ecstatic with these picks but they will not take WRs with the first three picks! This is as close to an absolute belief as I can have...not that it means I'm correct. They will likely be gone by the third round so unless there is a trade for another top two round pick...
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

Benjamin
Moncrief or Bryant
Ellington

When you say return man, I think of a player who can return punts and kick-offs.

In 39 games, Ellington has returned 38 kick offs for 869 yards.
That is an average of a little less than 23 yards per return.
That career average that would have put at about #54th among last year's FBS kick off returners.

Furthermore, Ellington only returned 3 punts for 16 yards in his 39 college games.

If we draft him it should be on his strength as a wide receiver.

Calling him a return man seems to inflate his demonstrated skill level.
[ Edited by buck on Apr 7, 2014 at 6:17 PM ]
  • cools
  • Veteran
You know the WR we get will be someone we didnt expect, so im going with Adams in the 2nd (trade up a bit) and Archer in the 4th
Share 49ersWebzone