Wide receiver
1. Sammy Watkins, Clemson
2. Mike Evans, Texas A&M
3. Marqise Lee, USC
4. Brandin Cooks, Oregon State
t5. Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State
t5. Jarvis Landry, LSU
t5. Odell Beckham, LSU

people extolling the virtues of Landry need to contrast this to his previous list where he has Brandon Cooks under all of these guys (like 7th).

As much as he loves Landry,...he easily moved Cooks ahead of him after that combine performance.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by buck:
This link should avoid the redirect to CBS NFL draft page.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=DT&draftyear=2014&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

nice, thanks

I did have a problem with this redirect to CBS sports about a 1 1/2 years ago.

I have no idea why, but somehow I solved it and the problem has not returned.

If I remember correctly when the problem appeared, I found an old link that worked correctly.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by random49er:
Last list from Mayock

Wide receiver
2. Mike Evans, Texas A&M
3. Marqise Lee, USC
4. Brandin Cooks, Oregon State
t5. Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State
t5. Jarvis Landry, LSU
t5. Odell Beckham, LSU

people extolling the virtues of Landry need to contrast this to his previous list where he has Brandon Cooks under all of these guys (like 7th).

As much as he loves Landry,...he easily moved Cooks ahead of him after that combine performance.

I think some are surprised that Landry remains so high on rankings developed by the talking heads, especially after his combine results.

Cooks had excellent production at Oregon St and his combine was beyond excellent. I think Mayock underestimated him.

I have no idea why.
I don't see why anyone would trade up to draft a WR like Watkins or Evans in the 1st when they can get a guy who might be as good or better in the late 1st to mid 2nd round like Matthews or Moncrief.
yup. nfldraftscout.com was a website run by Rob Rang, who was an amateur scout while he was a full time HS teacher. He did a good job of evaluating talent, producing informative write-ups, and predicting the rounds they'd be drafted in. He had a good enough track record for a long enough time that CBS bought him and his site, and merged them with CBS sports. Typing in nfldraftscout.com will now redirect you to the CBS nfl draft page.

Thanks for the back ground info! I always wonder how many of these guys came through the amatuer ranks...always tempting to try! Just have to commit about 60 hours per week and then cross your fingers...for about twenty years! LOL!
I think some are surprised that Landry remains so high on rankings developed by the talking heads, especially after his combine results.

Cooks had excellent production at Oregon St and his combine was beyond excellent. I think Mayock underestimated him.

I have no idea why.

He's somewhat slight for the NFL but I like him. Here are the negatives from CBS:

"WEAKNESSES: Lacks ideal size with below average height and length for the position. Limited strength, muscle and overall growth potential. Struggles with physical defenders and doesn't have ideal body strength - will be overwhelmed in man coverage. Looks to avoid contact and would much rather escape out of bounds or go around defenses. Needs to secure the ball through the process to eliminate drops and fumbles. Smallish target for quarterbacks."
I'm getting fairly close to finalizing my Top 10 receivers for this class. The following list is unlikely to change much:

2. Donte Moncrief, Missippi
3. Mike Evans, Texas A&M
4. Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State
5. Allen Robinson, Penn State
6. Marqise Lee, USC
7. Davante Adams, Fresno State
8. Robert Herron, Wyoming
9. Brandin Cooks, Oregon State
10. Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt

Just outside: Odell Beckham, LSU & Jarvis Landry, LSU
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 14, 2014 at 11:08 AM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I'm getting fairly close to finalizing my Top 10 receivers for this class. The following list is unlikely to change much:

3. Mike Evans, Texas A&M
6. Marqis Lee, USC

Is that your overall list, or your "for the 49ers" list?

3. Mike Evans, Texas A&M
6. Marqise Lee, USC

It's my current overall list. My personal ranking based on my draft grades.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 14, 2014 at 11:09 AM ]

3. Mike Evans, Texas A&M
6. Marqise Lee, USC

It's my current overall list. My personal ranking based on my draft grades.

Cool, thanks. I could see Watkins and Moncrief topping either list, so I asked.

Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
I don't see why anyone would trade up to draft a WR like Watkins or Evans in the 1st when they can get a guy who might be as good or better in the late 1st to mid 2nd round like Matthews or Moncrief.

Here's why you trade up or take a player Earlier than expected, because not every pick pans out.

Evaluation by Baalke is the MOST IMPORTANT variable in the draft.

I don't care if he moves up or back as long as he stays starters and pro bowlers.

However there is a better chance of getting a Pro Bowler the higher you pick. A player can fall to the 49ers in the draft, but you don't want to rely on that strategy with a plethora of picks.
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:

Here's why you trade up or take a player Earlier than expected, because not every pick pans out.

Evaluation by Baalke is the MOST IMPORTANT variable in the draft.

I don't care if he moves up or back as long as he stays starters and pro bowlers.

However there is a better chance of getting a Pro Bowler the higher you pick. A player can fall to the 49ers in the draft, but you don't want to rely on that strategy with a plethora of picks.

so many really good WRs and CBs in this draft, I really hope we end up using our ammo to get a couple of each whether that's trading up, back or staying pat.
I really want Donte Moncrief & Martavias Bryant
Originally posted by tohara3:
I really want Donte Moncrief & Martavias Bryant

I could deal with that. Throw Kyle Fuller in there, get some BPA depth (maybe a couple DBs to develop) and some injured guys to stash, trade back for some 2015 picks, consider a flyer on Archer (possible slot monster) McKinnon (freak), call it a draft
  • buck
  • Veteran
Physical capabilities are a consideration when drafting.

Here is a table that details some of physical capacities of the wide receiver class.

I did not include all the receivers. It is broken down into 2 sections that good and the bad.
The last column targets met/events participated in. I did not count events with no data or events with no participation.

The blue indicates the number is from a pro day, not the combine.

It will interesting to see if these numbers are an indicator of how these prospects actually play in the NFL.

NOTE: I CORRECTED THE CHART---THE SUMMARY TOTALS IN THE LAST COLUMN.

[ Edited by buck on Apr 6, 2014 at 9:30 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone