There are 168 users in the forums

Grade the 49ers 2010 Draft [3 years later]

Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
B-

3 pro-bowlers including 2 all-pros and 2 solid contributors? Tough crowd.

drafting that high we would turn any OL into a probowler by this point....remove Iupati and put Pouncey in his place and we still look good. Bowman gets the credit because of where he was drafted.

The Mays pick which almost every west coast homer wanted, set us back....a big reason why we were drafting FS this year
It is not a given that drafting high will net you pro-bowlers. If that were the case, there would be no such thing as draft busts and the same teams wouldn't be consistently drafting in the top 10.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
The grading-drafts-as-though-each-player-was-a-subject-on-a-child's-report-card thing is one of the most absurd things that I've read in NinerTalk or the Draft Forum in my 8 years on this board, and that is definitely saying something. Sweet black, baby Jesus.

I couldnt agree more. Absurd is exactly the right word for it and I think every single person in here sees that except for Jreff. Any grading system that could have 4 Hall of Fame players and 5 busts at the end of the draft and not considered an A+ isnt worth even discussing. ( using that as an example)

I think you may need to go re-read what was written and stop parroting LA and Amp.

OK.. Maybe I am wrong and you can help me out then. What would your grade on this be then:

Rd 1 Hall of Fame Player... Grade A
Rd 2 Hall of Fame Player Grade A
Rd 3 Hall of Fame Player Grade A
Rd 4 Total Bust - CUT Grade F
rd 5 Total Bust CUT Grade F
Rd 6 Total Bust CUT Grade F
Rd 7 Plays 1 year as sub Grade D

Just tell me what your draft grade would be for this hypothetical draft.
19 total score
28 max score/by 90%=25

25 max score=A
23 A-
21 B+
19 B
17 B-

or if using the 3.0 +/- system

25 A
22 A-
19 B+
16 B
13 B-

Total Grade of B or B+ for the entire draft

OK.. So... in your estimation a draft could net 3 all time Hall of Fame players and get a B grade. Thats all I needed to know.
What you need to know is an A means perfection....did you miss that idea in school? A's are the hardest grade to achieve and are only given out when everything is perfect or near perfect. 3 out of 7 is not perfect. What you fail to realize is that any draft that has 1 Hall of fame player would be argued by people like you thats its an A. Is it, is it really an A? If 1 gets an A what does 2 or 3 get? Are we going to start making up new super grades for a class like that?

You have yet to explain any grading matrix used by logic, you are looking at this through emotion and saying (like everybody else) look look an A+. If you are going to grade the whole thing you grade the whole thing, not you favorite parts.

So by your logic Nolan was a great GM because after all he drafted probowlers and he should get A's all over the place for his drafts right? Hell Sing wanted Iupati and Davis for his fysical running game....he helped pick them out, so he can draft A+ as well. Hell Andy Lee makes the probowl...I guess the 04 draft is an A+.

We have had at least 1 probowler from most drafts going back to at least 2003. Are you going to say the majority of all our drafts have been great..worth an A? If the almighty probowl/all pro pedestal you guys use to judge an A draft is used we always get A's. Does that sound like objective analysis to you?

A draft with 3 Hall of famers may be the best draft of all time. If that doesn't net you an A then your system is severely flawed. The draft that sets the curve shouldn't get a B.

I can remember Sapp and Brooks going in the same draft and making the Hall, and that's about it.
  • buck
  • Veteran
What you need to know is an A means perfection....did you miss that idea in school? A's are the hardest grade to achieve and are only given out when everything is perfect or near perfect.

Enough time has passed for tempers to have reduced somewhat.

First, an A does NOT mean perfection nor near perfection.

A= excellent.
B = very good
C = good
D =satisfactory
F = unacceptable

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/staff_info/modular%20grades%20explained%20staff.pdf

When a team picks a All Pro player in the 3rd round or lower, extra value needs to be assigned.
I would use an A+ plus grade for Bowman. This is similar to the extra value assigned for honor courses.

The grading should be on the player's overall performance in the league not just performance for the team that drafted him.

If a player is still playing in the league after 3 years, an F is not an acceptable grade.

If two players have performed more or less equally, and one player was drafted in the 2nd round and the other in the 6th, the grade assigned to the 6th round player should be higher.
This debate is getting comical. I wonder what exactly do people expect of players drafted in the 5th, 6th, and 7th rounds? To me, if you last 3 years, particularly being drafted in the 6th or 7th round, and on the same team no less, it's a good pick. This is a situation where you one can get too technical. There is no way this draft is anything less than an A. We (or some other team in the league) have gotten production from every single pick. That is not the easiest thing in the world to do. There are teams that get Kyle Williams and Anthony Dixon like contributions from 3rd round picks. We are getting it from guys drafted in the 6th and 7th round. We also netted 3 All Pro and/or Pro Bowl players. It doesn't exactly happen everyday.

Amazing how our drafts completely turned around when Baalke took over. It's really remarkable. It's also the reason why I'm very hopeful that we should get at least 3 solid players out of the 2012 draft.
Originally posted by buck:

The grading should be on the player's overall performance in the league not just performance for the team that drafted him.

If a player is still playing in the league after 3 years, an F is not an acceptable grade.

Mays was 2nd round pick and viewed as a top ten pick the year before.

He was barely traded for a seventh rounder.

His overall performance, based on where he was taken in the draft, deserves an F. He is still on his rookie contract, which is likely why he is still around (mainly for special teams purposes)
[ Edited by ads_2006 on May 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM ]
2010 2nd rounders..... Mostly average players. Missing on 2nd rounder just not that big of a deal.

2 33 St. Louis Rams Rodger Saffold OT Indiana Big Ten
2 34 Minnesota Vikings Chris Cook CB Virginia ACC from Detroit[R2 - 1]
2 35 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Brian Price DT UCLA Pac-10
2 36 Kansas City Chiefs Dexter McCluster RB Ole Miss SEC
2 37 Philadelphia Eagles Nate Allen S South Florida Big East from Washington [R2 - 2]
2 38 Cleveland Browns T. J. Ward S Oregon Pac-10
2 39 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Arrelious Benn WR Illinois Big Ten from Oakland [R2 - 3]
2 40 Miami Dolphins Koa Misi DE Utah MWC from Seattle via San Diego[R2 - 4]
2 41 Buffalo Bills Torell Troup DT UCF C-USA
2 42 New England Patriots Rob Gronkowski† TE Arizona Pac-10 from Chicago via Tampa Bay and Oakland[R2 - 5]
2 43 Baltimore Ravens Sergio Kindle DE Texas Big 12 from Miami via Denver[R2 - 6]
2 44 Oakland Raiders Lamarr Houston DT Texas Big 12 from Jacksonville via New England[R2 - 7]
2 45 Denver Broncos Zane Beadles† OT Utah MWC
2 46 New York Giants Linval Joseph DT East Carolina C-USA
2 47 Arizona Cardinals Daryl Washington† LB TCU MWC from Tennessee via New England[R2 - 8]
2 48 Carolina Panthers Jimmy Clausen QB Notre Dame Ind.
2 49 San Francisco 49ers Taylor Mays S USC Pac-10
2 50 Kansas City Chiefs Javier Arenas CB Alabama SEC from Atlanta [R2 - 9]
2 51 Minnesota Vikings Toby Gerhart RB Stanford Pac-10 from Houston [R2 - 10]
2 52 Pittsburgh Steelers Jason Worilds DE Virginia Tech ACC
2 53 New England Patriots Jermaine Cunningham DE Florida SEC
2 54 Cincinnati Bengals Carlos Dunlap DE Florida SEC
2 55 Dallas Cowboys Sean Lee LB Penn State Big Ten from Philadelphia [R2 - 11]
2 56 Green Bay Packers Mike Neal DT Purdue Big Ten
2 57 Baltimore Ravens Terrence Cody DT Alabama SEC
2 58 Houston Texans Ben Tate RB Auburn SEC from Arizona via New England[R2 - 12]
2 59 Cleveland Browns Montario Hardesty RB Tennessee SEC from Dallas via Philadelphia[R2 - 13]
2 60 Seattle Seahawks Golden Tate WR Notre Dame Ind. from San Diego[R2 - 14]
2 61 New York Jets Vladimir Ducasse OT Massachusetts CAA
2 62 New England Patriots Brandon Spikes LB Florida SEC from Minnesota via Houston[R2 - 15]
2 63 Indianapolis Colts Pat Angerer LB Iowa Big Ten
2 64 New Orleans Saints Charles Brown OT USC Pac-10
3 65 St. Louis Rams Jerome Murphy CB South Florida Big East
Solid blue collar draft. The right and left sides of the OL are set for years. How good can Bowman be?
http://walterfootball.com/draft2010.php 7 round mock. Pretty interesting to look back on it now.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on May 4, 2013 at 10:55 PM ]

Because this is relevant,

Jerry "Derp" Jones had Anthony Davis as a Third Rounder

Had Bowman as a First Rounder

He was 1/2

He did have Mays as a 2nd

Baalke got a Jerry Jones "1st rounder" in the 3rd

And 2 1st rounders in the 1st round

http://thedctimes.com/tag/dallas-cowboys-draft-board/

I'd say it's an MOFing A plus
[ Edited by wysiwyg on May 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM ]
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Like they say, give it 3 years and then you can really grade a draft

1. Anthony Davis = A
1. Mike Iupati = A+
2. Taylor Mays = F
3. Navorro Bowman = A+
6. Anthony Dixon = B
6. Nate Byham = F
6. Kyle Williams = C
7. Phillip Adams = D

I'd definitely say this was a solid draft. Shored up our Oline, got another great ILB and depth at RB & WR.

Was good draft considering we will likely have 3 players on this team for the next 4 years.

Finding Willis' brother from another mother in Bowman and not spending a 1st round pick to get him is pretty impressive. Anthony Davis and Iupati are both worth their picks. Anthony Dixon is a great locker room guy and helps on special teams. Kyle Williams will be a great #2 receiver when he is given the opportunity He started to pick up his game before he got injured and after Kaep was handed the reins. Sadly I believe we are too stacked at WR and he will struggle to stay on this team in the next couple of years. I also believe the Byham grade is a little harsh.

I think Bowman alone makes this an A and offsets the Mays pick. Iupati, Davis, Dixon, and Williams bump it up to an A+ with room to spare if your not as happy about Bowman as I am. Not only did we get an All-Pro out of the third round, we got a duo at MLB that could be legendary. Willis and Bowman are better together.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:

Mays was 2nd round pick and viewed as a top ten pick the year before.

He was barely traded for a seventh rounder.

His overall performance, based on where he was taken in the draft, deserves an F. He is still on his rookie contract, which is likely why he is still around (mainly for special teams purposes)

What round he was picked in makes a difference. It makes no difference if he was viewed as a top 10 pick the year before.

Mays is primarily a back-up safety.

In 2011, Mays played 61 defensive snaps in the regular season. He did not take any snaps if the play-offs.

He played 255 defensive snaps in 2012 in the regular season and in the play-offs.
Mays started in three games at Free Safety.

He has played in 26 of 32 regular season games for the Bengals.
He played in one play-off game in 2012.

Just not sure, he should be given an F.

Just go back through those legendary Bill Walsh drafts and find me one where every player clicked into place and performed.

It just doesn't happen. The draft remains a lottery. 49ers 2010 was a superb draft and one which will be viewed as one of the great drafts.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
B-

3 pro-bowlers including 2 all-pros and 2 solid contributors? Tough crowd.

drafting that high we would turn any OL into a probowler by this point....remove Iupati and put Pouncey in his place and we still look good. Bowman gets the credit because of where he was drafted.

The Mays pick which almost every west coast homer wanted, set us back....a big reason why we were drafting FS this year
It is not a given that drafting high will net you pro-bowlers. If that were the case, there would be no such thing as draft busts and the same teams wouldn't be consistently drafting in the top 10.
you run a much higher % in getting a pro bowl player in the first than you do in the 6th
What you need to know is an A means perfection....did you miss that idea in school? A's are the hardest grade to achieve and are only given out when everything is perfect or near perfect.

First, an A does NOT mean perfection nor near perfection.

A= excellent.
B = very good
C = good
D =satisfactory
F = unacceptable

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/staff_info/modular%20grades%20explained%20staff.pdf

When a team picks a All Pro player in the 3rd round or lower, extra value needs to be assigned.
I would use an A+ plus grade for Bowman. This is similar to the extra value assigned for honor courses.

If two players have performed more or less equally, and one player was drafted in the 2nd round and the other in the 6th, the grade assigned to the 6th round player should be higher.
so if team A takes a QB #1 overall and he becomes a David Carr.....life time backup, what would be acceptable? For being taken that high, to never even becoming close to what you were projected is a failure.

What would you consider the Balmer pick?
Originally posted by Nuns:
A draft with 3 Hall of famers may be the best draft of all time. If that doesn't net you an A then your system is severely flawed. The draft that sets the curve shouldn't get a B.

I can remember Sapp and Brooks going in the same draft and making the Hall, and that's about it.

The HOF question was loaded because it is looked at from a distance. One year 1 guy could be a HOF, 6 years later two more could be. While I think the grading would need to be shifted for that kind of question I'm not about to work a formula for it.
Share 49ersWebzone