There are 246 users in the forums

Grade the 49ers 2010 Draft [3 years later]

It isn't "hard" to get an A in your system...it's virtually impossible. Only a couple of drafts in NFL history (if that) would qualify. For some reason that makes sense to you. To most of us, it's completely nonsensical.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by jreff22:
And I think we will see 3 from 2011 as well. We had 3 from 2007. I honestly think we could see 4 from this years class, no b******t. You cant max out your grade of A on 3 when 4 is possible and I think it happens.

Do we know how many probowlers have been drafted in one draft by one team?

2007 and 2011 were also "A" drafts. Based on your school analogy, there are a whole bunch of A's that are given out. Heck, in grad school, you rarely see anything other than an A or a B. Of course you can give someone an A for 3 Pro Bowlers when 4 is possible, just as you can give a kid an A for a 95% and for a 98%.

It's a competition. In those years you couldn't name 3 other kids in our class that did better than we did.
Than show where you would make the cutoff for each grade, criticizing my work without offering any ideas of recommendations is rather futile. And this shouldn't be about handing out A's, it should be about chasing them.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
The grading-drafts-as-though-each-player-was-a-subject-on-a-child's-report-card thing is one of the most absurd things that I've read in NinerTalk or the Draft Forum in my 8 years on this board, and that is definitely saying something. Sweet black, baby Jesus.

I couldnt agree more. Absurd is exactly the right word for it and I think every single person in here sees that except for Jreff. Any grading system that could have 4 Hall of Fame players and 5 busts at the end of the draft and not considered an A+ isnt worth even discussing. ( using that as an example)

I think you may need to go re-read what was written and stop parroting LA and Amp.

OK.. Maybe I am wrong and you can help me out then. What would your grade on this be then:

Rd 1 Hall of Fame Player... Grade A
Rd 2 Hall of Fame Player Grade A
Rd 3 Hall of Fame Player Grade A
Rd 4 Total Bust - CUT Grade F
rd 5 Total Bust CUT Grade F
Rd 6 Total Bust CUT Grade F
Rd 7 Plays 1 year as sub Grade D

Just tell me what your draft grade would be for this hypothetical draft.
19 total score
28 max score/by 90%=25

25 max score=A
23 A-
21 B+
19 B
17 B-

or if using the 3.0 +/- system

25 A
22 A-
19 B+
16 B
13 B-

Total Grade of B or B+ for the entire draft

OK.. So... in your estimation a draft could net 3 all time Hall of Fame players and get a B grade. Thats all I needed to know.
//thread

LOL Its ended for me. When a guy gives a draft a B grade that nets 3 Hall of Fame players you know you arent dealing with a rational thought process.
Than show where you would make the cutoff for each grade, criticizing my work without offering any ideas of recommendations is rather futile. And this shouldn't be about handing out A's, it should be about chasing them.

This should be graded on a curve. I've said that like 3 times now. Even more so than a classroom, this is a competition. Having a Top 3 draft class in a 32 team league is easily an A.

This should be graded on a curve. I've said that like 3 times now. Even more so than a classroom, this is a competition. Having a Top 3 draft class in a 32 team league is easily an A.

did you go back to page 8 like I said and look at how I applied a curve....I'm guessing not
  • Disp
  • Veteran
You guys should just stop arguing with Jreff. I don't think there's a single person here who agrees with his formula, and he's obviously not going to change his opinion. May as well just carry on.
[ Edited by Disp on Apr 30, 2013 at 12:09 PM ]
The grading-drafts-as-though-each-player-was-a-subject-on-a-child's-report-card thing is one of the most absurd things that I've read in NinerTalk or the Draft Forum in my 8 years on this board, and that is definitely saying something. Sweet black, baby Jesus.

I couldnt agree more. Absurd is exactly the right word for it and I think every single person in here sees that except for Jreff. Any grading system that could have 4 Hall of Fame players and 5 busts at the end of the draft and not considered an A+ isnt worth even discussing. ( using that as an example)

I think you may need to go re-read what was written and stop parroting LA and Amp.

OK.. Maybe I am wrong and you can help me out then. What would your grade on this be then:

Rd 1 Hall of Fame Player... Grade A
Rd 2 Hall of Fame Player Grade A
Rd 3 Hall of Fame Player Grade A
Rd 4 Total Bust - CUT Grade F
rd 5 Total Bust CUT Grade F
Rd 6 Total Bust CUT Grade F
Rd 7 Plays 1 year as sub Grade D

Just tell me what your draft grade would be for this hypothetical draft.
19 total score
28 max score/by 90%=25

25 max score=A
23 A-
21 B+
19 B
17 B-

or if using the 3.0 +/- system

25 A
22 A-
19 B+
16 B
13 B-

Total Grade of B or B+ for the entire draft

OK.. So... in your estimation a draft could net 3 all time Hall of Fame players and get a B grade. Thats all I needed to know.
What you need to know is an A means perfection....did you miss that idea in school? A's are the hardest grade to achieve and are only given out when everything is perfect or near perfect. 3 out of 7 is not perfect. What you fail to realize is that any draft that has 1 Hall of fame player would be argued by people like you thats its an A. Is it, is it really an A? If 1 gets an A what does 2 or 3 get? Are we going to start making up new super grades for a class like that?

You have yet to explain any grading matrix used by logic, you are looking at this through emotion and saying (like everybody else) look look an A+. If you are going to grade the whole thing you grade the whole thing, not you favorite parts.

So by your logic Nolan was a great GM because after all he drafted probowlers and he should get A's all over the place for his drafts right? Hell Sing wanted Iupati and Davis for his fysical running game....he helped pick them out, so he can draft A+ as well. Hell Andy Lee makes the probowl...I guess the 04 draft is an A+.

We have had at least 1 probowler from most drafts going back to at least 2003. Are you going to say the majority of all our drafts have been great..worth an A? If the almighty probowl/all pro pedestal you guys use to judge an A draft is used we always get A's. Does that sound like objective analysis to you?

But what is your definition of perfection? A draft consisting of all Hall of Famers (which has never happened), a mix of Hall of Famers and pro-bowlers (which isn't exactly perfection, but which is also never happened to my knowledge) or what?

What exactly would constitute an A+ draft based on your system? That's just not clear to me.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
But what is your definition of perfection? A draft consisting of all Hall of Famers (which has never happened), a mix of Hall of Famers and pro-bowlers (which isn't exactly perfection, but which is also never happened to my knowledge) or what?

What exactly would constitute an A+ draft based on your system? That's just not clear to me.

A+ is not even part of the equation, I dont see it was valid. I dropped the total for a full A down to 90% to make it "easier" to get. I see no difference in grading a probowler and a HOF player. If we start making up lots of different numbers for these guys it becomes overly complex and harder to get a grade..plus we dont know who will be in the HOF.

What would get an A is getting enough points in the equation I created and edited on page 8. Now what is an A, is subjective to everybody and I'm not going to say what I think is an A, what the class is graded by constitutes if it gets one or not.

To your question to give an example, if you look on page 8 you will see how I get a grade of B to B+ for the draft. Had the Mays pick been graded as a solid B, it would bring the value to 27 which is B+/A- territory. You will see the chart on the page. Its really just working the numbers.
This whole thing is dumb, but apparently jreff22 never took tests/classes where you could get an A without scoring 90%+
Originally posted by dhp318:
This whole thing is dumb, but apparently jreff22 never took tests/classes where you could get an A without scoring 90%+

Its called an A-, I have never taken a test in HS or college that gives a full A at 90%.

Its called an A-, I have never taken a test in HS or college that gives a full A at 90%.

I've taken classes/tests where you could get an A at 50%. You must've gone to some silly schools
  • buck
  • Veteran
One side note.

Clearly hindsight is not 20-20.

That is not directed at any individuals, except those who claim it is.
Originally posted by buck:
One side note.

Clearly hindsight is not 20-20.

That is not directed at any individuals, except those who claim it is.

It's just a saying.
Originally posted by dhp318:

I've taken classes/tests where you could get an A at 50%. You must've gone to some silly schools

Pretty well regarded Private HS and currently at UNF in two separate degree programs....if you have teachers that give you an A for getting half the questions right....dont know what to say. May I ask what school that was and what kind of class as well?
Share 49ersWebzone