LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 217 users in the forums

NCommand's First Ever Mock Draft

Originally posted by toppdogg32:
1- ERIC REID- Done deal, didn't think he'd be here, didn't predict it, but LOVE this pick.
2a- J. WILLIAMS- DE/NT, ALABAMA (Fills a pressing need and covers all 3 positions on DL).
2b- ZACK ERTZ- TE, STANFORD (Kills our 2nd. need to replace a big part now missing in Walker).
3a- DUKE WILLIAMS- SS, NEVADA-RENO (Learns behind Whitner, then starts next yr., very underrated and versatile)
3b- TRADED PICK AWAY
4a- QUEENSBURY- T/OL, SAN JOSE ST. (Swing tackle we need).
4b- DARIUS SLAY- CB, MISS. ST (Shut up, I can already hear the disbelief, but he has a TORN MENISCUS, and we can get a 2nd. rd. talent here, and redshirt him. When we lose Rodgers, Asoumgha, and possibly Brown and Brock next yr., you will all thank me here).
5- KYLE JUSZCYHK (Sp.)- FB/H-BACK/TE/ST. (Guy can do all this and more. Ivy pedigree doesn't hurt either).
6- CATAPLANO- DE/DT- PRINCETON (Yes we stay in the Ivy's here, and this guy was a QB/backfield rushing terror. Nice project for Tomsula).
6- TYRONE GOARD- WR- E.KENTUCKY (Development type guy for next year).
7- QUENTARIOUS SMITH- OLB/DE/PRS (Small school unknown type guy, but ask Alabama why he lived in their backfield when they played last yr.)
7- BRAD SORENSON/COLIN KLEIN- QB, SO. UTAH/KANSAS (Developmental/practice squad guy, who can be a camp arm and a gem/project for Harbaugh).
7- ZAC LINE- RB, SMU (Can be an underrated I and/or single back, underrated talent for the future) Here's mine

Nice! Let the fun begin!!!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
For the anti-Reid crowd...Harbaugh tried to recruit him to Stanford and missed, didn't miss this time. I love the fact he's been following his career for six years and knows him well.

Such a great point...AND Baalke backed him up. This is why our FO is the best in the game...unity!
Originally posted by NCommand:
I'm a GENIUS!!!! LOL
You'd best plan on making this an annual thing. I'm trying to find a single "Draft Expert" who got the pick right. Having trouble.

You hit the next couple of picks, you instantly become my new hero.

Then I will kiss your butt to find out who you will predict will win in games this year (live in Nevada - love sports betting) and bet my house on and retire early.
[ Edited by OldJoe on Apr 26, 2013 at 10:49 AM ]
Originally posted by OldJoe:
I'm a GENIUS!!!! LOL
You'd best plan on making this an annual thing. I'm trying to find a single "Draft Expert" who got the pick right. Having trouble.

Then I will kiss your butt to find out who you will predict will win in games this year (live in Nevada - love sports betting) and bet my house on and retire early.

Bwahahahaha! So funny. The irony of this is that I haven't watched a college game in YEARS. I just used the tools we all had on hand to make the best educated guesstimate I could.

That said, if I nail a couple more, I may have to do this annually and when you do retire, just don't forget your friends!
I'm a GENIUS!!!! LOL

Bwahahahaha! So funny. The irony of this is that I haven't watched a college game in YEARS. I just used the tools we all had on hand to make the best educated guesstimate I could.

That said, if I nail a couple more, I may have to do this annually and when you do retire, just don't forget your friends!

You are breaking a commandment in football. When you benefit from "luck" you never admit. It always was part of a master plan.

Forgive my story. Pop Warner many moons ago: We were backed on our own end (7 yard line) and punting. Our punter bobbles the ball then fades back to throw, every coach on our team in unison is yelling "NO!". He throws .... our RB catches and runs 95 yards for a TD. I race down to our head coach, getting into his face and shouted "Don't you dare admit to anyone that was not our called play". Then I put out the rumor accordingly. Head Coach Phil had a reputation of having "brass balls" for years.
You are breaking a commandment in football. When you benefit from "luck" you never admit. It always was part of a master plan.

Forgive my story. Pop Warner many moons ago: We were backed on our own end (7 yard line) and punting. Our punter bobbles the ball then fades back to throw, every coach on our team in unison is yelling "NO!". He throws .... our RB catches and runs 95 yards for a TD. I race down to our head coach, getting into his face and shouted "Don't you dare admit to anyone that was not our called play". Then I put out the rumor accordingly. Head Coach Phil had a reputation of having "brass balls" for years.

This story is epic! Humility always trumps ego for me esp. on a message board. Haha. But if this was in my business world, word is mum! Good call. Besides, the real fans know my work...haha.

But I can say, there wasn't much luck in this one...for me anyways. Now, when we start getting into the 3rd+ rounds, no question. I simply looked at who our FO and matched with AB's board and where we picked and made the best guess based on Baalke's philosophy (e.g. BPA at the position of need who fits OUR system). If you stick to these two themes, even if against your OWN ideals, you'll most likely be in the neighborhood, no matter how tricky Baalke's picks can get/are viewed.

Still laughing at your story. Thanks for that!
Well, overall, absolutely fantastic draft. This team is stacked!

So needless to say, the trades threw everything off BUT they stuck with the needs:

My Mock:
31 Eric Reid, S, LSU (6'2" 212 4.49 40, 40.5" VL 29 WS) - I nailed this one (just not at the pick)
34 Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford (6'6" 249) - we took Vance McDonald (6'5" 267) who Roman really wanted instead and we went DE first over TE instead. We also took a project in MarQuies Gray (6'4" 240).
61 John Jenkins, NT, Georgia (6'4" 346) or DE Cornellius Carradine (6'4" 276) (if available) - we took Tank! Got this one! And oh yeah, we also have Lawrence Okoye (6'6" 300+), Quinton Dial (6'6" 318) and Michael Percell (6'3" 305) to spell Justin Smith and Ray McDonald and help inside on 4-man fronts. Carradine will spell Justin Smith and Aldon Smith.
74 Robert Woods, WR, USC (6'1" 190) - we picked up a 3rd for 2014 and Quinton Patton (6'0" 204) which is mind-boggling!
93 Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU (5'9" 175) - I felt we needed a slot CB but Baalke stuck with his new bigger, stronger, taller and faster players and picked up CB Marcus Cooper (6'2" 192) late in the draft
128 Josh Evans, S, Florida (6'1" 207) - team obviously feels good about the S position and I'm still waiting to sign Woodson
131 Gerald Hodges, LB, Penn State (6'1" 243) - thought we'd go Gerald here but got ILB Nick Moody (6'1" 236) instead AND RB Marcus Lattimore (aka Gire 2.0) instead. Wow! We also got a clone of Ahmad Brooks in Corey Lemonier (6'4" 255) and both wear #55.
157 David Quessenberry, OT, San Jose State (6'5" 302) - got LDE Quinton Dial (6'6" 318) to sub McDonald instead
173 Luke Marquardt, OT, Azusa Pacific (6'8" 315) - got him as an UDFA (even better)
180 Tyrone Goard, WR, Eastern Kentucky (6'4" 206) - With Patton, it's safe to say we didn't need a developmental WR with great measurables
237 Ryan Otten, TE, San Jose State (6'5" 230) - decided to pick up B.J. Daniels, QB South Florida instead as we also acquired a project in MarQuies Gray (6'4" 240)
246 Latavius Murray, RB, Central Florida (6'2" 223) - we needed two swing T's and here we go, got 'em with OT Carter Bykowski (6'7" 306) and had already acquired Lattimore earlier
252 Zach Line, RB, SMU (6'0" 232) - again, after Lattimore, no need for a developmental RB either so Baalke goes the route of a big, physical, tall and fast player (new theme for 2013 and going forward) CB with Marcus Cooper (6'2" 192). We also picked up an OG in Patrick Omameh (6'4" 306) and a LS in Kevin McDermott (6'5" 238) which is interesting b/c I believe we now have 2 or 3 guys with LS capabilities and it was predicted that Brian Jennings "may" be a June 1st cap casualty.

Actual Picks:
1 (18) Eric Reid (6'2" 212 4.49 40, 40.5" VL 29 WS), FS, LSU
2 (40) Cornellius Carradine (6'4" 276), RDE and WILL, Florida State
2 (55) Vance McDonald (6'5" 267), TE, Rice
3 (88) Corey Lemonier (6'4" 255), SAM OLB, Auburn
4 (128) Quinton Patton (6'0" 204), WR, Louisiana Tech
4 (131) Marcus Lattimore (6'0" 232), RB, South Carolina
5 (157) Quinton Dial (6'6" 318), LDE Alabama
6 (180) Nick Moody (6'1" 236), ILB Florida State
7 (237) B.J. Daniels (6'0" 217), QB South Florida
7 (246) Carter Bykowski (6'7" 306), OT Iowa State
7 (252) Marcus Cooper (6'2" 192), CB Rutgers

UDFA Signings:
FB Alex Debniak (6-2, 240)
TE MarQueis Gray (6-3, 240)
WR Chuck Jacobs (6-0, 178)
T Luke Marquardt (6-8, 315)
G Patrick Omameh (6-4, 303)
C Sherman Carter (6-2 1/2, 304)
RDE Lawrence Okoye (6-6, 305)
LDE Mike Purcell (6-3, 305)
CB Darryl Morris (5-10, 186)
LS Kevin McDermott (6-4, 234)

Overall:
Wow! What more needs to be said? It turned out even better than I expected. A-draft grade IMHO.

About the only thing I'm not totally comfortable with is we didn't acquire a true 2-gap NT who can clog both gaps and also push up the pocket into the step-up lane and a speedy slot CB who can cover the likes of Harvin/Austin. But aside from that it appears we addressed every single need to the Nth-degree and competition is going to be FIERCE. We also have some amazing "luxury picks" and developmental guys that our coaching staff is itching to get their hands on. We also have more than set ourselves up for another epic draft next year. Mission accomplished!

As to my Mock, I did alright given I took a unique approach compared to most. I nailed 3 of the picks but also nailed every need I identified and was in the ballpark on the types of players we'd target. The trades blew up the picks naturally but we also ended up with BETTER "value" so who cares! Great job Baalke and FO and coaches. A job well done!
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 28, 2013 at 2:57 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone