There are 157 users in the forums

what logic is it to trade up

Originally posted by OldJoe:
Trading up only occurs if you have a draft crush. And is not unlike gushing over a car within view of your car salesman. He just hooked a fat one.

Baalke ain't gonna get hook'd

Draft crushes aren't exactly a bad thing to have. I am sure Harbaalke was salivating over Kaepernick. Look how that turned out I know it was the 2nd round but it shows that if Baalke really likes a player, he isn't afraid to trade up. Plus we just got off a superbowl run. Do you really think 13 rookies will make this squad? At our situation, quality > quantity
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Trading up only occurs if you have a draft crush. And is not unlike gushing over a car within view of your car salesman. He just hooked a fat one.

Baalke ain't gonna get hook'd

Draft crushes aren't exactly a bad thing to have. I am sure Harbaalke was salivating over Kaepernick. Look how that turned out I know it was the 2nd round but it shows that if Baalke really likes a player, he isn't afraid to trade up. Plus we just got off a superbowl run. Do you really think 13 rookies will make this squad? At our situation, quality > quantity

I expect to see at least one trade up, in addition to trading a few picks for 2014. Our roster is too deep to accommodate 13 draft picks. It can be difficult to keep drafted players on the practice squad without another team scooping them up.

Ultimately, Baalke is the type of GM that let's the draft board speak to him. He'll only trade picks or select a player if the value is there. I'm sure he'd prefer not to draft 13 rookies, but he makes decisions based on his board.
We can trade up in the mid to late rounds. We do that almost every year actually.

We can also trade picks for more / better future picks, because we are going to have to fill a lot of holes once free agency guts our team in two years after we pay Kap and Aldon.
Way too many picks, not enough room on the roster or money in the bank.

They will definitely, without a shadow of a doubt, move up.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
well, 1 name i never see mentioned in a trade up scenario is xavier rhodes. If we could move up to early teens to get him by giving up the 34,74,93 and 128. i might think about it. then trade the 31 to a teeam wanting a qb and get an early 2 and 3rd back. then we essentially just gave up a late 4th to move up in the 1st and move down in the 2nd.

then we could still get a DE,FS,WR in rounds 2 and 3. question is is that enough to move up?

EDIT*** outside chance milner may be there in the teens now.
[ Edited by krizay on Apr 24, 2013 at 2:36 AM ]
Stupid logic!!
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
too many draft picks this year, might as well trade away a handful to move up and get a superstar.
It never ceases to amaze me how many people think real life and the Draft work like Madden Franchise mode, when it does not.

Not every 85 Rookie will be a star, and the other team you are trading with isn't an AI General Manager.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Ok, I'll bite. The logic is pretty simple. We don't have space for 13 players on our roster and if we believe that a player higher in the first round is significantly better than what we could get at 31, then we trade up. We get a better player, and we convert draft picks that would never make our team into a better player that will play for us year 1.

Trading up makes the player more expensive. Even with the rookie caps in place, trading up makes the $$$ situation worse, not better.

If anything, they get who they want in the first 3, then trade away for future picks. That makes the most sense.

If there is a player you really want with the pick you are at, you get him. Otherwise, you trade out of the spot (if you can) and keep the pick stock going. That's what New England did for almost 10 years, and it works well for when you have to re-stock your roster to stay competitive, or move up next year to get the guy you want if there isn't one this year.

Don't think about today. Think about 3-4 years from now. You don't "need" immediate impact. You already have a Championship team. Now you build a dynasty.
[ Edited by VaBhodi on Apr 24, 2013 at 7:44 AM ]
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
$800k+ cap room to sign 13 rookies? yeah, do the math

/thread

I thought sighing rookies counted differently against the cap....in that case let the wheeling and dealing begin....
Whats the fastest way to get rid of too many picks? Trade up in the first. It's a no brainer. So lots of rummors to that effect, mostly because the 49ers have the most picks.

But more importantly, all the commentators are also saying that this years draft is thin at the top and thick in the second and third rounds. (Lucky us.)

I believe that Baalke will maneuver for 6 or 7 picks in the meat of the draft, rounds 2 and 3. But there are so many scenarios for accomplishing this, that we will all just have to wait to see how the draft plays out. If Baalke is on top of his game, he will take 6 in the second and third rounds, and will get a couple of 3rd round picks for 2014.
IF he does trade up - IMO, it'll be worth it.
Originally posted by 15crabtree:
looking at reports that say we will trade up , i see no dominate player that is a must have, our need is basically a cb , nt, , fs, ss, and wr , and the players that will fit our scheme is eric reid, jesse williams , johnathan banks, cj jones , and corey fuller , me personally i think we should trade down

No offense intended to you, but the bolded is probably why folks like you and I don't get paid to truly scout prospects... ya know? Fans always love a TON of prospects, but organizations tend to be far more critical and picky with the individuals they want. So, just because the ESPNs and CBS rankings may have (for instance) a few DE/DB prospects closely rated? You can bet that our F/O has only one or two highly coveted DEs/DBs in this round or that.
Share 49ersWebzone