Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 553 users in the forums

ATG's STARtling Mock

Browse 49ers books and videos
dont mind trading up

but not for a guy with a medical red flag/ heart condition (i.e sam bradford)

Before someone throws Frank Gores name out there - He was a 3rd rounder, not a player we traded the farm for.
I like Lotuleiei, but if I trade up with 1st, 2nd and 3rd rd picks It's for Kenny Vaccaro.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I like Lotuleiei, but if I trade up with 1st, 2nd and 3rd rd picks It's for Kenny Vaccaro.
I'm not the biggest fan personally. I see more Michael Huff in him than Earl Thomas (to compare Texas safeties). Not a bad player but not anyone worth trading up for.
I would be ok for the move for Star, and like the Burkhead pick, but would be unhappy with some of the other pics. QB is a waste of a pick, Thomas would be a better pick tan Cyprien IMO, Need CB sooner, ETC.
Solid mock! I'd love this
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I like Lotuleiei, but if I trade up with 1st, 2nd and 3rd rd picks It's for Kenny Vaccaro.

Wouldn't take that much for he Texas safety. With the talent in this draft somebody very good is going to slip through the cracks. Maybe the Rams go with Vaccaro with their first, first rounder. If he slips through the Rams he could be in the 49ers wheel house.
WOW!

Lots to tink about. Giving up a lot for Star - a real big gamble.

I've been toying w/the idea of trading up for Shelson Richardson.

Very good picks on your part.
Too much to give up...when you consider the best group of talent (per most experts) is between picks 20-70. We already have 4 picks in that range (counting our #74)...if Baalke's going to trade up, I could much more easily see him doing it in the 2nd or 3rd rds, to not only take advantage of that talent pool, but also be able to use his later rd picks to make his moves. By standing pat at #31, Baalke could arguably land one of the Williams'...both of whom can play DE, DT or NT. Agree Cyprien's a beast, but is considered to be a SS in the NFL. Instead, I'd take one of the top CB's or S at #34. If Elam's still around, he'd be my guy. If not, take a CB like Jamar Taylor, then grab FS Phillip Thomas at #61. I like most of the other picks...in particular, Marcus Davis. He has a chance to become Walker's replacement.
Enjoyed this. You should get a prize for most creative mock

Star

Cyprien

Kelce

Tharold
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I would be ok for the move for Star, and like the Burkhead pick, but would be unhappy with some of the other pics. QB is a waste of a pick, Thomas would be a better pick tan Cyprien IMO, Need CB sooner, ETC.
Appreciate the feedback. I don't think QB is a wasted pick especially in the 6th round. Right now we only have 2 QBs on the roster and we all know how much Harbaugh loves competition. Would rather spend a 6th round pick to develop a backup under one of the best QB gurus in the league than to spend money on a veteran FA/known commodity.

As for Cyprien vs. Thomas, since I'm not a scout the only things I have to rely on is scouting reports and the opinions of others. And the general consensus is that Cyprien is a better safety prospect.

As for CB, I considered drafting one in the 3rd round but I really think that in today's NFL pass rush is paramount. If we can consistently get pressure with 4 guys, we don't need to have elite cover corners and safeties. Unless you're a shutdown corner (and those are an incredibly rare breed), given enough time any NFL starting-caliber QB will be able to pick your defense apart. And right now, outside of Aldon and Brooks we lack a passrusher who can provide a consistent pass rush in case one of them goes down. And even without injury it's still important to give them occasional rest because our front 7 looked really worn down by the end of the year from playing so many snaps.

Basically, pass rush can cover a multitude of sins in the secondary and another pass rusher is a much bigger need imo than another safety.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Too much to give up...when you consider the best group of talent (per most experts) is between picks 20-70. We already have 4 picks in that range (counting our #74)...if Baalke's going to trade up, I could much more easily see him doing it in the 2nd or 3rd rds, to not only take advantage of that talent pool, but also be able to use his later rd picks to make his moves. By standing pat at #31, Baalke could arguably land one of the Williams'...both of whom can play DE, DT or NT. Agree Cyprien's a beast, but is considered to be a SS in the NFL. Instead, I'd take one of the top CB's or S at #34. If Elam's still around, he'd be my guy. If not, take a CB like Jamar Taylor, then grab FS Phillip Thomas at #61. I like most of the other picks...in particular, Marcus Davis. He has a chance to become Walker's replacement.
I certainly don't think the second to last pick in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds are too much to move up and get Lotulelei IF you believe he can be an impact player for years to come on the D-line. We all know how important Justin Smith is to our D and if we have a chance to secure a dominant D-line force for the next decade we have to take it.

Whether you think Star can be that guy or not is a different story. I certainly do.
Originally posted by smithc28:
Enjoyed this. You should get a prize for most creative mock

Star

Cyprien

Kelce

Tharold

Thanks I'm glad you were entertained! I certainly had fun making this.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone